The best way to find a great coach is .....

BruinVol

Let’s be honest programs all over the county have had serious trouble finding the right guy. Schools like us, FSU, Nebraska, usce, UCLA and other high profile programs have struggled to hire the right coaches.

The programs that haven’t had a hard time are the ones that hired coaches they knew the best. They hired guys that they didn’t need to interview.

THEY HIRED from within.

Clemson
Oklahoma
Ohio State
LSU

those schools hit home run hires because they knew what that had.

so what’s the point??

one school knew what they had and was prepared to hire from within. They wanted to make a hire from within of a guy they knew more than anyone on earth over a very solid successful sitting coach.

But The auburn administration didn’t have the balls to stick to their guns and hire the guy they wanted the most.

for that reason I think Steele is very worthy of consideration for this job. He isn’t the same
Guy he was 20 years ago!

We’ve been saying we need a guy that’s a proven head coach. Steele is the complete opposite of that

Let’s be honest.
Last time we were looking for a coach. Most everyone would have said Chip Kelly, scott Frost and willie Taggeert were the hottest sexiest proven head coaches out there.

Those are duds too now

Let’s be honest programs all over the county have had serious trouble finding the right guy. Schools like us, FSU, Nebraska, usce, UCLA and other high profile programs have struggled to hire the right coaches.

The programs that haven’t had a hard time are the ones that hired coaches they knew the best. They hired guys that they didn’t need to interview.

THEY HIRED from within.

Clemson
Oklahoma
Ohio State
LSU

so what’s the point??

one school knew what they had and was prepared to hire from within. They wanted to make a hire from within of a guy they knew more than anyone on earth over a very solid successful sitting coach.

But The auburn administration didn’t have the balls to stick to their guns and hire the guy they wanted the most.

for that reason I think Steele is very worthy of consideration for this job. He isn’t the same
Guy he was 20 years ago!

Those schools shouldn't even be used as a comparison to the situation that Tennessee is in.

• Oklahoma - Outside hire Stoops and built that program into a powerhouse. Riley inherited.
  • Ohio State - Outside hire Meyer, championship program. Day inherited.
  • LSU - Tried to go outside, and failed. Regardless LSU was/is a much more stable program compared to Tennessee. Report: Here’s how the LSU-Tom Herman deal fell through
The one outlier in your example is Clemson with Dabo, however it was still in a much more stable position compared to Tennessee.

Tennessee is probably closer to death penalty SMU of 1980s with the exception that SMU actually won when they cheated.

THEY HIRED from within.

Clemson
Oklahoma
Ohio State
LSU

so what’s the point??

Guy he was 20 years ago!

Hiring from within works when you have an already elite program (see Fulmer in 1992). Clemson, while not elite, was an 8-9 win team when Dabo took over. Oklahoma and OSU were top 5 programs. LSU was Top 10 team with Top 3 talent. Heck, Coker looked like a great coach when he took over for Butch Davis.

The best way to find a great coach is ...........use Clay Travis' dump truck method. Fill a dump truck up with cash and go to the best coach in all of football and offer it to him. If he declines, go to the next best coach and repeat this until someone takes it. But, for today's Tennessee, it will take a very large dump truck.

Reactions: Hbg
There are only a few elite coaches out there and all have good jobs; Saban, Sweeney, Meyer. TN, like everybody else continues to mine for that unknown diamond in the rough that will turn into an elite coach. Needle in a haystack search with very low odds.

The best way to find a great coach is ...........use Clay Travis' dump truck method. Fill a dump truck up with cash and go to the best coach in all of football and offer it to him. If he declines, go to the next best coach and repeat this until someone takes it. But, for today's Tennessee, it will take a very large dump truck.
Change "coach" to "player" and you have illiterate cornbread.

If not mistaken, Ohio State and Oklahoma have had a certifiable and very competent AD at the helm. UT on the other hand.....,

THEY HIRED from within.

Clemson
Oklahoma
Ohio State
LSU

so what’s the point??

Guy he was 20 years ago!

This is so misleading it isn’t funny.

Tressell and then Urban got Ohio State rolling. Not inside hires.

Stoops got Oklahoma going. Not inside.

Saban and then Les built LSU. Not inside.

The successors are just trying to maintain what already is built.

Dabo and Clemson are your only argument. And Bowden at least had a stable program to step into.

Let’s be honest.
Last time we were looking for a coach. Most everyone would have said Chip Kelly, scott Frost and willie Taggeert were the hottest sexiest proven head coaches out there.

Those are duds too now

Kelly and Frost had a track record of success in college. You can’t blame those schools for trying. There really are no guarantees for success in hiring a coach IMO. I would prefer UT hires a coach that has proven they can win.

Let’s be honest.

Those are duds too now

You’re choosing the ones that didn’t work out. A lot of people liked Jim bo fisher. He’s worked out. Dan mullen would’ve been my first choice. He’s been a good hire. And a lot of our fans would e been excited to see one kiffin back here and he’d have been a good hire. Chip Kelley and Scott frost were big names at the time but had no connection to us.

You’re choosing the ones that didn’t work out. A lot of people liked Jim bo fisher. He’s worked out. Dan mullen would’ve been my first choice. He’s been a good hire. And a lot of our fans would e been excited to see one kiffin back here and he’d have been a good hire. Chip Kelley and Scott frost were big names at the time but had no connection to us.

Jimbo was a hire from within.

you gave me more ammo

And Mullen was Florida’s third choice but I agree with you I loved him.

Jimbo was a hire from within.

you gave me more ammo

And Mullen was Florida’s third choice but I agree with you I loved him.

I’m just saying some work out amd some don’t. A lot of the ones that work out were big names. And not sure what hiring from within means. He wasn’t at a&m. Obviously you know that but felt it worth mentioning. He was probably the hottest name that cycle. It had been said for about a year that he was looking to leave FSU and a&m went amd offered him. We could’ve done the same. By my count at least half of the big names available that last cycle have turned into home run hires for their respective schools.

I’m just saying some work out amd some don’t. A lot of the ones that work out were big names. And not sure what hiring from within means.

By my count at least half of the big names available that last cycle have turned into home run hires for their respective schools.

all coaches are hired to be fired in most cases.
I’d like to see a list of the success rate but I can’t think of hardly any hires from within that didn’t work out. At least it’s clear the success rate is well higher than half

you say half.

I’ve got Mullen, jimbo, strong, taggert, frost, kelly, leach, Kiffen, Fuente and norvell. I’ve got that with 3 successes and 7 fails at the moment.

What’s your list?

For me, I would strongly entertain the notion to completely, and I mean completely, rethink or reimagine how a program operates. The current approach does not seem to work for the vast majority of known P5 programs, and particularly UT. At this point, its likely closer to the definition of insanity than anything else. So why perpetuate it?

Who says that dude on the sidelines orchestrating timeouts and filtering play calls has to be the "traditional" HC? Because "that's the way its always been done"? Really, that's it? How many on here will accuse CBJ of being a good gameday HC on the sideline? He was horrible!!! I'll bet there are several here on VN that could make better calls than CBJ over the course of a game/season. I don't need to pay someone $4M for that.....I just need someone good at it and who can actually read a "chart".

I'm tired of "fire one, fire all". Why is it we get rid of a HC and lose everyone else from the OC and DC on down? If a Sam Pittman, Jay Graham were in there, or what if the OC or DC had a really good O or D for much of the season (Chaney 2012).......why do we have to lose them? Because the new HC is bringing in the next "best staff in America"? Why doesn't UT have a say in keeping parts and pieces? It's the University's program, not the HC's. Why wouldn't UT get a say? And, this could go on and on. Tired of it.

THEY HIRED from within.

Clemson
Oklahoma
Ohio State
LSU

so what’s the point??

Guy he was 20 years ago!
The best way to find a great head football coach

giphy (47).gif

Reactions: JonGrudensAgent

VN Store

Back