Possible Penalties.

VolArmy74

Looking at Ole Miss, their issues were over a 6 year period, involved boosters, coaches and members of the upper echelon of the athletic department and they got lack of institutional control laid on them. They had 15 total level 1 violations and coaches got several and several level 2 violations.

Their penalties were 2 year post season ban. Fine of around 200k. 13 lost scholarships over 4 years. Quite a few people given show causes.

The most interesting thing, the NCAA found that Hugh Freeze wasn't involved with or aware of the violations happening but he was given the level 2 failure to monitor violation. Makes sense that Ole Miss wasn't going to fire him over the NCAA violations but once the hooker information came out they pushed him out with the morals clause.

Apparently his SEC ban was related to the hooker issue as well.

I expect us to get something comparable. I’m curious if they count this years bowl as 1 of our bans. I doubt it, but ya never know.

Of course it's serious but I think the folks hollering big penalties are going a little too far. The NCAA is on record as saying they are focusing more on folks directly involved than just simply hitting the school these days. The University caught it and notified NCAA and did it's own investigation. Other schools have done worse and tried to hide it. Also these incidents were all in a shorter time frame than what went down at Ole Miss, all this was during Pruitts tenure with his staff. I expect the NCAA to hit the coaches individually harder than the school. The University actually did what it should when it found out. While I think there will be some type penalty I do not think it will be crippling sanctions. LSU,North Carolina and Miami all got slapped on the wrist and were actually hiding things on some level. Tennessee has been forthcoming and acted on the coaches they found not in compliance. I certainly do not know the final outcome but the doom and gloom some said is coming with penalties I think is way premature and will not happen. The way the NCAA has handled recent cases involving this couple with UT catching it and bringing it to attention, I expect the brunt of punishment goes to coaches involved. JMHO! GBO!!!!!

Looking at Ole Miss, their issues were over a 6 year period, involved boosters, coaches and members of the upper echelon of the athletic department and they got lack of institutional control laid on them. They had 15 total level 1 violations and coaches got several and several level 2 violations.

Their penalties were 2 year post season ban. Fine of around 200k. 13 lost scholarships over 4 years. Quite a few people given show causes.

The most interesting thing, the NCAA found that Hugh Freeze wasn't involved with or aware of the violations happening but he was given the level 2 failure to monitor violation. Makes sense that Ole Miss wasn't going to fire him over the NCAA violations but once the hooker information came out they pushed him out with the morals clause.

Apparently his SEC ban was related to the hooker issue as well.

There was question whether or not Hugh was going to get "convicted" of a Level 2 (failure to monitor) from the NCAA before the hooker episode. Once the hooker episode became public, Ole Miss used that as cause since it was TBD whether the NCAA stuff would be enough for cause. Note, Ole Miss wanted to keep him too prior to the hooker stuff.

The SEC ban wasnt for the hookers but for Level 2 violations. The SEC didnt care who he was banging.

Put it on the tab!

Let's get Liberty or give me NOTHING!

The Ole Miss penalties were severe partially because the cheating went deep into the administration (associate ADs). Ole Miss was a repeat offender as well.

Right now, we dont have that fact pattern, which should help us some.

Reactions: igotworms
I’m going to go out on a limb and say it’ll be a hefty given the admission of guilt. 2-3 year bowl ban and the loss of 30+ scholarships.

There was question whether or not Hugh was going to get "convicted" of a Level 2 (failure to monitor) from the NCAA before the hooker episode. Once the hooker episode became public, Ole Miss used that as cause since it was TBD whether the NCAA stuff would be enough for cause. Note, Ole Miss wanted to keep him too prior to the hooker stuff.

The SEC ban wasnt for the hookers but for Level 2 violations. The SEC didnt care who he was banging.

Hugh's only penalty for the NCAA stuff was a 2 game conference suspension.

The SEC and Ole Miss very much cared about who he was banging. He would still be coaching there if not for the hooker issue.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say it’ll be a hefty given the admission of guilt. 2-3 year bowl ban and the loss of 30+ scholarships.

The only way we would lose 30 scholarships is if Fulmer was having boosters and coaches pay recruits and parents while he and compliance worked to actively hide it. Even then I'm not sure it would be 30. The NCAA doesn't have that kind of power any more.

The school needs to assess the situation and self-impose some penalties in order to move forward. Why wait on the NCAA and let the program die while in limbo?

Reactions: Illinoisvolfan2
The only way we would lose 30 scholarships is if Fulmer was having boosters and coaches pay recruits and parents while he and compliance worked to actively hide it. Even then I'm not sure it would be 30. The NCAA doesn't have that kind of power any more.

I’m simply going off of the reactions of those in the media that are familiar with the infractions that allegedly took place. It sounds like it is at least as bad if not worse than what happened at USC with Bush and Mayo. They got a 2 year post season ban, wins vacation and 30 scholarships cut.

Hugh's only penalty for the NCAA stuff was a 2 game conference suspension.

The SEC and Ole Miss very much cared about who he was banging. He would still be coaching there if not for the hooker issue.

The SEC stuff about meeting with Commissioner before hiring Hugh is 100% for NCAA issues. It has nothing to do with hookers.

Yes, Ole Miss used the hookers as an excuse to fire for cause but if they waited til the end of the 2017 season, they could have used NCAA stuff to since by that time Hugh had the Level 2 violation ruling from the NCAA. Had Ole Miss struggled in 2017 as well like they did in 2016, Hugh would have been fired for cause with or without the hooker episode.

I expect us to get something comparable. I’m curious if they count this years bowl as 1 of our bans. I doubt it, but ya never know.
No way. UT basically did the NCAAs job for them. Found problems and immediately launched internal investigation to get to bottom of it and took decisive action. That’s nothing like the Ole Miss thing.

If anything this reminds me more of the Pearl thing where the coach took the penalties amd school was basically let off. If these coaches went rogue and were doing this, then there will be show causes.

I’m simply going off of the reactions of those in the media that are familiar with the infractions that allegedly took place. It sounds like it is at least as bad if not worse than what happened at USC with Bush and Mayo. They got a 2 year post season ban, wins vacation and 30 scholarships cut.

USC was a case where the entire athletic department was out of control. They also had major issues with everything from women's tennis to men's basketball. Even then the NCAA was raked over the coals for that penalty and the subsequent penalties have been much less severe for other programs who have done worse.

I’m hoping they seriously lessen the penalties just because the university caught it and started the investigation, and cooperated with the NCAA. I’m thinking we will get 1-2 years of bowl bans, and a loss of some number of scholarships.

The SEC stuff about meeting with Commissioner before hiring Hugh is 100% for NCAA issues. It has nothing to do with hookers.

Yes, Ole Miss used the hookers as an excuse to fire for cause but if they waited til the end of the 2017 season, they could have used NCAA stuff to since by that time Hugh had the Level 2 violation ruling from the NCAA. Had Ole Miss struggled in 2017 as well like they did in 2016, Hugh would have been fired for cause with or without the hooker episode.

He was fired before the level 2 violation was applied by the NCAA. Matt Luke was already the head coach when that was announced. Freeze wasn't even given a show cause, which I thought he was. His only penalty in all of it was the 2 game conference suspension if he was hired by anyone in the SEC.

The penalty? Having to suffer through another terrible football season in 2021 and again in 2022, which in turn leads to self imposed bowl ban . . . that is penalty enough!

GBO - beat the Gators!

Reactions: PowerT83
Everybody calm down. Word on the grapevine is that Pruitt's lawyers have everything under control and have incontrovertible proof he did nothing wrong. He will be reinstated with a raise and an extension, Plowman and Boyd will be shown the door for fabricating all this, plus JG will return as our starting QB and win us the SEC championship and everyone gets a free Big Mac for every TD he scores. So everything will be a'ight. Just gotta trust the process.

He was fired before the level 2 violation was applied by the NCAA. Matt Luke was already the head coach when that was announced. Freeze wasn't even given a show cause, which I thought he was. His only penalty in all of it was the 2 game conference suspension if he was hired by anyone in the SEC.

That's what I was saying. Had Hugh not had the hooker episode, he would have likely been termed for cause for NCAA stuff if the 2017 season went like the 2016 season. Hugh had the hooker issue so it gave Bjork the PR cover to do what he wanted to do all along: fire Hugh before the 2017 season. Bjork didnt get the NCAA cover to fire Freeze until November 2017, which was 4 months after Hugh got fired for Hookers.

VN Store

Back