Why Kevin Steele isn't considered as HC?

volberry

He has a long history in football. What is the deal? Auburn didn't want him. UT doesn't want him. Is he one of these guys who is only qualified to be a DC? And if so why? It always amazes me how some coordinators like Cutliffe or Smart and Mullen do good as a HC and will always get work as a HC but others can't sniff a HC job.

Bc some are ready to have the stench of Fulmer out of the locker room for good.

Yeah, I feel sorry for those emotionally impaired folks too. He was not perfect in either roll, but he is in the HOF as a coachwith a 152-52 record. and most every program other than FB is trending flat or up since he was named AD. The end of both tenures were not his high spot, but very few coaches ever go out on top, ADs are probably mixed bag. But he will be back to celebrate our NC and seems to be held in high regard by every player of note I am aware of. Since they were in the locker room I will go with them.

Reactions: Eastknox865
He has a long history in football. What is the deal? Auburn didn't want him. UT doesn't want him. Is he one of these guys who is only qualified to be a DC? And if so why? It always amazes me how some coordinators like Cutliffe or Smart and Mullen do good as a HC and will always get work as a HC but others can't sniff a HC job.
See his previous HC stint just because you go back to being a OC/DC for years doesn't mean you are going to turn to be a great HC. Cut isn't a world beater of a coach. He has had done some decent seasons but I wouldn't classify him in the same league as Smart or Mullen. Some guys are cut out to handle the duties that a HC entails while others can't handle all the HC duties. You also have people like Chavis who just love being a coordinator.

Reactions: 08Vol
First off the dude tried to steal the job in Auburn while Gus still had the job. Secondly, he is a 62 year old coach who has not had a HC gig in 20 years. Dude is clearly a DC guy at this point. NOT a HC. That’s not even mentioning the dreadful record he had WHILE as a HC.

See his previous HC stint just because you go back to being a OC/DC for years doesn't mean you are going to turn to be a great HC. Cut isn't a world beater of a coach. He has had done some decent seasons but I wouldn't classify him in the same league as Smart or Mullen. Some guys are cut out to handle the duties that a HC entails while others can't handle all the HC duties. You also have people like Chavis who just love being a coordinator.

Ok. So what are the differences from OC/DC to HC? And why are we always hiring those who don't have this so called HC trait?

If you Google "Tennessee football head coach" he comes up as the main search result. The word "interim" may appear in small letters next to the title. But technically, he is considered the hc

I agree. But I don't understand why they can't understand why they are overlooked. Is there something we don't know?
You ask good questions. He has just never made it since Baylor. He didn't have a chance there, but he just doesn't win the interview, maybe.

Ok. So what are the differences from OC/DC to HC? And why are we always hiring those who don't have this so called HC trait?
Well as a HC you have to hire a staff while the OC/DC doesn't and alot of the times its the staff that the HC hires is what actually gets him fired because either no one wants to work for them or they don't know the right people that can develop at a high level. You have some that are micro managers that can't get out of their own way and let the coaches coach. I am not sure of all the differences but I know there are differences. Leadership is our problem on the hiring.

Yeah, I feel sorry for those emotionally impaired folks too. He was not perfect in either roll, but he is in the HOF as a coachwith a 152-52 record. and most every program other than FB is trending flat or up since he was named AD. The end of both tenures were not his high spot, but very few coaches ever go out on top, ADs are probably mixed bag. But he will be back to celebrate our NC and seems to be held in high regard by every player of note I am aware of. Since they were in the locker room I will go with them.
Those emotionally impaired folks as you put it are partially responsible for bringing in White and “retiring” Fulmer. He wasn’t brought in to keep Steele as a head coach unless it’s the last resort. As far as Fulmer, great coach, piss poor AD. Fulmer should be appreciated for what he brought to the program as a coach, he should go away quietly and pray that people forget about his AD run.

He is a terrible coach!!!

Love him. He's a Vol at heart, IMO. But...

"Steele was the head coach at Baylor University from 1999 to 2002. His record was 9–36 (1–31 in the Big 12 conference). "

Quick search Google for 'Kevin Steele record at Baylor'

I'm done with hiring coaches with losing records. So, no thank you.

Those emotionally impaired folks as you put it are partially responsible for bringing in White and “retiring” Fulmer. He wasn’t brought in to keep Steele as a head coach unless it’s the last resort. As far as Fulmer, great coach, piss poor AD. Fulmer should be appreciated for what he brought to the program as a coach, he should go away quietly and pray that people forget about his AD run.

One more time, What other sport trended down since his first day on the job? I think several are trending up... Getting stuck with a week to make a hire in FB after Currie fired Butch and drug our name through the laugh machine till late in the process did end with a bad hire. GOT IT.
As important as FB is I bet his performance reviews each year included some nice words about his overall job.

Maybe he is

VN Store

Back