My outlook, warning it's positive.........

OffTackleVol

IMO, the most important position on the football team is the QB. We have not had great, not good, hell not even decent QB play since Dobbs graduated. Gitmo's mistakes were catastrophic, fumbles returned for TD's, pick sixes, etc. "Decent" QB play this past season and we win 6-7 games. Our new coach has a history and reputation of developing quarterbacks. With Maurer and Baily returning, and the Salter kid coming, I'm encouraged that we might turn the corner. Whether you could stomach Pruitt or not, he's not leaving the cupboard empty. Now, I don't know who all is in the transfer portal, but we have some talent, and improved QB play may speed our rebuild up.

Last edited:
I expect a big turnaround on offense just like he did at Missouri. Bailey or another QB will show out with his guidance. Team should be exciting to watch for a change and not put me to sleep with the "hurry up and punt" we've seen for several years. Hard to get too hyped due to what we've seen the last 10 years, but I'll support him and give him a chance (what's the alternative? When we start winning, maybe the atmosphere around here will get brighter too

IMO, the most important position on the football team is the QB. We have not had great, not good, hell not even decent QB play since Dobbs graduated. Gitmo's mistakes were catastrophic, fumbles return for TD's, pick sixes, etc. "Decent" QB play this past season and we win 6-7 games. Our new coach has a history and reputation of developing quarterbacks. With Maurer and Baily returning, and the Salter kid coming, I'm encouraged that we might turn the corner. Whether you could stomach Pruitt or not, he's not leaving the cupboard empty. Now, I don't know who all is in the transfer portal, but we have some talent, and improved QB play may speed our rebuild up.

Amen! Very well said. Heupel was an All American QB on a national championship team at Oklahoma under Coach Bob Stoops and was an assistant coach there for several years too...Heupel is a winner and we will see better QB play at UT next year and the coming years. There is potential in our returning QBs with good coaching.

I guess the bottom line is I think we did improve over who we had.
And, if we had played USF this year chances are we would have been beaten.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
This is the SEC, not the conference american. This guy has to beat Dan Mullen, Kirby Smart, and Nick Saban. Not Temple and some other directional school and their coach

Reactions: TartanTurff
This is the SEC, not the conference american. This guy has to beat Dan Mullen, Kirby Smart, and Nick Saban. Not Temple and some other directional school and their coach

As has been stated, this coach has been on the big stage before. This should not be a shock to his system like it was for Butch. Sure, he hasn't been a head coach in the big leagues, but he has been OC in the SEC. I think he knows very well what he is getting into.

As has been stated, this coach has been on the big stage before. This should not be a shock to his system like it was for Butch. Sure, he hasn't been a head coach in the big leagues, but he has been OC in the SEC. I think he knows very well what he is getting into.
Derek Dooley held the same position in the SEC... lets not act like solid OC at Mizzou = head honcho at UT

Hey I like optimism! I can only try to stay positive and hope CJH turns this team around! Let’s get behind this team there is enough negative stuff going on in the world as it is. You think you hate losing and being laughed at for being a VOLS fan imagine how these young men feel that’s been getting there a$$ handed to them from lack of leadership! So come on man up and NOT be part of the problem!

Reactions: 1967vol and vol1981

He has to beat them on the field each fall, but to do that he has to defeat them in the recruiting environment, he has to work harder and smarter than they do on the practice field, he has to defeat them at the training table, the weight room, the agility training sequences, and in the film room, the game planning sessions and creating, scheming, and drawing up offensive plays to put points on the board.

The way I see it, we don't have our pick of the litter at this point. This seems like a decent hire with a chance to get good. I don't expect him to win championships. However, if he can get us through the sanctioning period and set us up to hire a home run next time, I'll consider it a success. I'm not getting my hopes up, but I'm also not going to run him off before he's had a chance to show what he can do.

Right. The same teams he averaged over 500 yards a game against when he was Missouri's O.C. in 2016 and 2017.

Pretty sure CJH knows who the competition will be.

Reactions: vol1981

VN Store

Back