Let’s talk about it

RockiesTop22

Volnation, naysayers and orange koolaid alike- what are your thoughts on the new
regime?

I’m connected and didn’t see this coming - my thoughts are AD hire was a homerun ... coach- we shall see - I think Steele should stay as DC... but if nothing else (which shouldn’t be acceptable here) I believe we will score some points and be an exciting team to watch.

Trying to keep the HOPE that the vols can get a natty again before I die ... is this a step forward or not? I say yes and I was a Pruitt guy. What’s yalls thoughts?

Last edited:
I'll give him a shot. I don't feel the university did enough to get a big name. At the end of the day, money talks and there are better options. At least they should have a good offense. Sadly tho, I don't care as much any more. Then not getting a good coach doesn't bother me any more.

Volnation, naysayers and orange koolaid alike- what are your thought on the new
regime?

I’m connected and didn’t see this coming - my thoughts are AD hire was a homerun ... coach- we shall see - I think Steele should stay as DC... but if nothing else (which shouldn’t be acceptable here) I believe we will score some points and be an exciting team to watch.

Trying to keep the HOPE that the vols can get a natty again before I die ... is this a step forward or not? I say yes and I was a Pruitt guy. What’s yalls thoughts?

They got an offensive guy. Will we score 42 per game next season?? Nah. But we will damn sure score more than 17 ppg.

I don't think you keep Steele. Many times, his defense "effed" Malzahn. They were good, but many times they would give up crucial downs.

Remember UCF with Heupel as OC drug Steeles Auburn defense in the Orange Bowl of 2017 season.

REGARDLESS of all that. Heupel needs to bring in a guy that is loyal to HIS vision.

Good offense not great, opportunistic defense and sound special teams can win us a lot of close games.

Heupel recently has been shown to be on the losing side of close games. The other side of that coin is that he was IN CLOSE games.
Not getting blown out by an average of 24 points to your main rivals.

We should be a good team next year. The game is geared for offense. We just brought in one of the best. And our defense had the ability to get stops if JARRETT GAURANTANO could just play QB.

There is still a considerable amount of talent on the team, thanks to Pruitt, Tee and others.

They got an offensive guy. Will we score 42 per game next season?? Nah. But we will damn sure score more than 17 ppg.

I don't think you keep Steele. Many times, his defense "effed" Malzahn. They were good, but many times they would give up crucial downs.

Remember UCF with Heupel as OC drug Steeles Auburn defense in the Orange Bowl of 2017 season.

REGARDLESS of all that. Heupel needs to bring in a guy that is loyal to HIS vision.

Good offense not great, opportunistic defense and sound special teams can win us a lot of close games.

Heupel recently has been shown to be on the losing side of close games. The other side of that coin is that he was IN CLOSE games.
Not get blown our by and average of 24 points to your main rivals.

We should be a good team next year. The game is geared for offense. We just brought in one of the best. And our defense had the ability to get stops if JARRETT GAURANTANO could just play QB.

There is still a considerable amount of talent on the team, thanks to Pruitt, Tee and others.
I can’t disagree with anything you said - my Steele staying reference wasn’t for gameday... it was purely for knowing the patch on recruiting and existing relationships that could help us ... I can’t think of many schematic wise that would accept this scenario and be much better ... so might as well have a dude who is plugged in the area ... great thoughtful response though - I appreciate that.

Reactions: LittleVol
UCF got worse every year with JH at the helm: that says everything we need to know. We just hired an AD for outrageous money just for him to hire his buddy where he came from.
fair assessment - did you have a guy you wanted ? I did for sure ... just trying to see the positive in the hire so I can stop being Down about the season starting surrounded by UGA fans lol

I'll give him a shot. I don't feel the university did enough to get a big name. At the end of the day, money talks and there are better options. At least they should have a good offense. Sadly tho, I don't care as much any more. Then not getting a good coach doesn't bother me any more.
That not caring as much feeling really sucks - I’m battling it myself.

Reactions: Other_Guy
UCF got worse every year with JH at the helm: that says everything we need to know. We just hired an AD for outrageous money just for him to hire his buddy where he came from.

But it doesn't.
Cincinnati was an improving program under Fickell right on their heels. And still they can only best UCF by 3 points each time.

7 points away from being undefeated in 2019.

2020 had a lot of opt-outs. Now...WHY so many opt-outs? Were they all just scared of the virus? Or did they not want to play for Huepel?

He still had one of the best offenses in CFB. You could argue...Frost is lost...without Heupel. Look at Nebraska. Is Frost bad? No...he just doesn't have any damn talent AND he doesn't have Heupel.

It's not just W-L records. It's about WHY.
Heupel goes a long way into rectifying the current rosters shortcomings. Had we had ANY consistent offense Pruitt would still be here.

Who he hires for DC is going to be very important for him. I truly believe this was planned from the beginning with the AD and Tennessee administration. I really don't believe they truly tried to hire anyone else. And if they don't retain Steele he is set to make 900 thousand for a month or so of service.

But it doesn't.
Cincinnati was an improving program under Fickell right on their heels. And still they can only best UCF by 3 points each time.

7 points away from being undefeated in 2019.

2020 had a lot of opt-outs. Now...WHY so many opt-outs? Were they all just scared of the virus? Or did they not want to play for Huepel?

He still had one of the best offenses in CFB. You could argue...Frost is lost...without Heupel. Look at Nebraska. Is Frost bad? No...he just doesn't have any damn talent AND he doesn't have Heupel.

It's not just W-L records. It's about WHY.
Heupel goes a long way into rectifying the current rosters shortcomings. Had we had ANY consistent offense Pruitt would still be here.
I’m not gonna lie I’m that rare breed that appreciated Pruitt.
If he had Heupel as OC we wouldn’t be in this convo but here we are .
We have talent - Hype (can I coin that as mine ?) has a shot to have an amazing year 1 offense - we will see what he does from there

I’m not gonna lie I’m that rare breed that appreciated Pruitt.
If he had Heupel as OC we wouldn’t be in this convo but here we are .
We have talent - Hype (can I coin that as mine ?) has a shot to have an amazing year 1 offense - we will see what he does from there
Pruitt would have micromanaged whoever the OC was. Pruitt failed himself with his bad attitude.

Pruitt would have micromanaged whoever the OC was. Pruitt failed himself with his bad attitude.
That’s fair for you to think. I liked him more than Butch or Dooley for sure - he wasnt ideal in any means... I just personally gave him every shot I could that I didn’t for the other dudes if that makes sense

That’s fair for you to think. I liked him more than Butch or Dooley for sure - he wasnt ideal in any means... I just personally gave him every shot I could that I didn’t for the other dudes if that makes sense
I know a few former players and they have told me months ago that many people didn't like Pruitt because of his attitude. I didn't want to believe them but then he fires a coach at halftime. Chaney never coached anything that resembled what he has done in his career. It's like Pruitt was on a power trip. I was pulling for him as well and I really believed in Fulmer. Boy I was wrong

If getting worse is losing 3 games by a TOTAL of 7 points in 2019 and then Losing 4 games (one was a bowl game) in 2020 when you had 10 starters opt out (while still amassing over 600yds per game) what do we call losing the most games in UT History by double digits......

I know a few former players and they have told me months ago that many people didn't like Pruitt because of his attitude. I didn't want to believe them but then he fires a coach at halftime. Chaney never coached anything that resembled what he has done in his career. It's like Pruitt was on a power trip. I was pulling for him as well and I really believed in Fulmer. Boy I was wrong
Yeah I love fulmer but being a national champ coach doesn’t qualify you as an AD... completely different job qualifications so I never knew if that was a smart move or not. I still don’t want to believe that about Pruitt especially after what JJ said about him but it could be true... either way we’re on to something new and hopefully better

Who he hires for DC is going to be very important for him. I truly believe this was planned from the beginning with the AD and Tennessee administration. I really don't believe they truly tried to hire anyone else. And if they don't retain Steele he is set to make 900 thousand for a month or so of service.
No offense to Steele as it's not exactly easy to keep the team together... but many players left anyway. What was the point of the hire? Was this just a Fulmer thing who made him believe he would get the job then the university told him to step down?

Reactions: TennesseeTarheel
No offense to Steele as it's not exactly easy to keep the team together... but many players left anyway. What was the point of the hire? Was this just a Fulmer thing who made him believe he would get the job then the university told him to step down?
I mean the Steele hire happened when we were going to “keep Jeremy” then the investigation results came out.

Thanks to Fulmer we were stuck with spending money on Steele. So you can blame him for that one.

I think it was a familiar SEC face that was open to being DC at UT but had aspirations of being a head coach... Steele is used to adversity so it was just an easy an potentially useful fill in

It really didn't make any sense especially since Tee was already titled associated head coach if I'm saying that correctly. The entire situation is just really strange, it makes me feel like none of them can be trusted.

It really didn't make any sense especially since Tee was already titled associated head coach if I'm saying that correctly. The entire situation is just really strange, it makes me feel like none of them can be trusted.
Remind me when a coach at UT was hired that wasn’t strange lol.. I dunno man... we always do everything weird

I mean the Steele hire happened when we were going to “keep Jeremy” then the investigation results came out.

Thanks to Fulmer we were stuck with spending money on Steele. So you can blame him for that one.
The Steele hire happened right when they announced Pruitt could not hire any assistants. Again it was really strange because any of the remaining coaches could have held down the ship for a month.

Reactions: cHiZzLeVOL

VN Store

Back