Florida, Sun, 3/7/2021, ESPNU, noon (TN 65, FL 54)

Vols to Host Florida for Senior Day March 7 - University of Tennessee Athletics

Might could be for the 4th double bye spot in the SECT.

Senior Day for Pons and Fulk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Men's Basketball

2020-21 Florida Gators Roster and Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

2020–21 Florida Gators men's basketball team - Wikipedia
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So what will Pons and Fulk get in 2021-2022 if they come back which i believe they can and will?;) I think the BasketVols beat Florida 80-70.:cool:

W

Would love to steal that 4th spot. Gotta win Saturday first though

Yep. I haven’t revisited the details, but beat Auburn and Florida and the double bye should be locked up. Losing to Auburn and beating Florida could do it as well, but might need help. Florida should have 2 games before a week from Sunday while TN only has Auburn. Unless the SEC decides to add TN/GA kn the middle of next week.

I remember when we used to have Sunday SEC games, in fact one I distinctly remember was playing Florida on a Sunday on Jefferson Pilot.

This sucks! I've got to work AND it's my wedding anniversary! I will have to avoid Volnation and the news media until Monday night so I can get home from work and watch it.... and you guys thought You had problems!

Matt Dixon on tonybasilio dot com . Good article.

The Tony Basilio Show

Florida Regular Season Finale Preview:

Tennessee can’t salvage what’s been a mostly disappointing season with a win over Florida in the regular season finale on Sunday, but the Vols can earn the 4 seed and a double bye in the SEC Tournament with a victory.

The Gators dominated the first meeting in mid-January, 75-49. It was probably Tennessee’s 2nd-worst performance of the season behind whatever you call what happened in TBA vs Kentucky.

In Gainesville, the Vols were without Jaden Springer and Santiago Vescovi was dealing with his hip injury for the first time. Still, the Gators were without expected two starters — center Colin Castleton and wing Scottie Lewis — plus preseason SEC player of the year Keyontae Johnson.​

On the season, it was Tennessee’s worst effective field goal % (31.9%), 2nd-worst turnover % (25.7%) and 2nd worst offensive rebounding % given up (42.4%). The Vols made 17 shots from the field, had 11 assists and 18 turnovers. They also were just 12-of-25 from the free throw line in the 26-point loss. John Fulkerson had 15 points and was the only Vol to score more than 8. Bearden’s Ques Glover — Florida’s backup point guard — was one of four Gators to score in double figures and his 10 points is the 2nd-most he’s had in a game this season.

Florida backup big man Omar Payne’s impact went well beyond his 9 points, 9 rebounds and 5 blocks.

The Gators’ pick-and-roll offense was especially effective. They really picked on Keon Johnson, as it is his worst defensive game of the season. His lack of experience against ball screens was noticeable as he constantly hedged the wrong way and it was the only time this year he’s looked lost on the court. I’ll be curious how he plays this time around. I expect him to have a nice game.

Hopefully the week off provides the Vols some much-needed energy. Tennessee is 7-0 (6-1 ATS) this season when they have a rest advantage over their opponent.

A few notes on the Gators:​

— After a disappointing freshman season, Tre Mann is much improved and the Gators’ top scorer (15 PPG).

— Tyree Appleby is their energy guy. He’s most effective in transition, despite always looking awkward dribbling.

— Junior Noah Locke is a former 5-star recruit. Tennessee needs to play tight defensively against him. He’s a really good catch-and-shoot shooter, but not very good when forced to shoot off the dribble.

— In addition to pick-and-rolls on offense, Florida’s bigs like to seal defenders (basketball version of a pick-play) on the low block to allow drivers open shots at the rim.

— They're susceptible to turnovers offensively and Tennessee leads the SEC in turnover % defensively, so that’s an area the Vols need to excel in. Despite forcing a lot of turnovers, Tennessee hasn’t taken full advantage and scored off many of them.

— Defensively, Mick White likes to mix up his defenses. Expect to see a lot of 2-3 matchup zone, especially if the Vols aren’t making shots from outside. VJ Bailey and Vescovi making a few threes early could get the Gators out of playing zone.

— Florida typically tries to double bigs when they get the ball in the post, but can leave passing lanes open. This could be a game where Fulky gets a couple of kick-out assists.

We can talk about it on Twitter @Mattdixon3 ... I would jump on today but Beano has heat with me.

Reactions: ArdentVol

VN Store

Back