We used to be in the top ten in facilities in stories like this.

Northwestern Wildcats facilities at #8? WOW!!

I’d like to hear more about the $180 Million Neyland Stadium upgrade (funded by boosters) to be completed by EOY 2023 per OP’s attached article. I thought I recalled Fulmer announcing Neyland improvement plans were being delayed and/or revised downward (less expensive). Maybe I dreamed that.

Reactions: Smokey19rt and Remy
Northwestern Wildcats facilities at #8? WOW!!

I’d like to hear more about the $180 Million Neyland Stadium upgrade (funded by boosters) to be completed by EOY 2023 per OP’s attached article. I thought I recalled Fulmer announcing Neyland improvement plans were being delayed and/or revised downward (less expensive). Maybe I dreamed that.
We don't need the McBags anymore 🤷‍♂️

The difference between #1 and #25 is minimal. I'm not sure facilities even sell much to recruits any more because everyone's is top notch. Every school in the country that matters has poured tons of money into facilities. It's no longer a deciding point for kids.

The difference between #1 and #25 is minimal. I'm not sure facilities even sell much to recruits any more because everyone's is top notch. Every school in the country that matters has poured tons of money into facilities. It's no longer a deciding point for kids.
Yep.

We will be more beautiful again, back in the Top 10 in facility awesomeness, when we're back to competing for championships. It just kinda works that way--not just in facilities rankings, but in "top 25" lists of all kinds. Win, and everything else comes along for the ride.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smokey19rt and Behr
No longer. We're now sitting at #12 per the publication. But how the %$#@ did South Carolina become the fifth best facilities in college football??

Ranking college football's 25 best facilities in 2021
facilities do not mean as much as they used to.......once you reach a certain level of amenities, the rankings become irrelevant. facilities never hurt Georgia in recruiting or Clemson. When UT was leading the rankings on facilities, the success level did not meet the same expectations. lets get some ball coaches in here and coach the players up; would like to lead in those rankings at some point this century

I have been to other SEC venues and UT's facilities are right up there with our rivals. Our problems are not facilities. The UTAD departments poor choices and lack of commitment to winning has been the problem going on 13 years now.

This is less a sign of “Tennessee’s facilities suck” and more a sign of “everyone can now afford nice facilities”.

I read an article a while back (I think it was posted here somewhere) talking about how these large conference TV deals are hurting traditional powerhouses that benefited from a large fan base. On the 90s, Tennessee has more money than most because of our stadium and huge fan base. Now, everyone gets a handout from the SEC so we’re all on a more level playing field in that regard.

tl:dr everyone now has money and nice stuff, we have to find a way to appeal to recruits besides fancy facilities

This is less a sign of “Tennessee’s facilities suck” and more a sign of “everyone can now afford nice facilities”.

I read an article a while back (I think it was posted here somewhere) talking about how these large conference TV deals are hurting traditional powerhouses that benefited from a large fan base. On the 90s, Tennessee has more money than most because of our stadium and huge fan base. Now, everyone gets a handout from the SEC so we’re all on a more level playing field in that regard.

tl:dr everyone now has money and nice stuff, we have to find a way to appeal to recruits besides fancy facilities
You have nailed it.

You are 100% correct

Reactions: feathersax
Well this is a simple fix. Given the author's obsession with LED lights, we could easily move up 4 or 5 spots if we just install some in the locker room. Problem solved.

Reactions: Godfatha
I look at this as everyone catching up. We used to be the only SEC school with an indoor practice field. Now they all do. We used to be the only one with 100k+, now many others do. Our training facilities put the NFL ones to shame, now they are pretty standard at least in the SEC. I do think the moral of the story is it has affected recruiting. We can no longer just wow recruits with our facilities. Money parity in the SEC has made them standard.

VN Store

Back