Playing both ways

Its bad enough alot of our guys will have to play alot of downs then to make them go both sides would be nuts.

I think it depends on the positions, the player, the game situation, and depth at the different positions. I can see some conditions where it would be a wise thing to do.

Are you talking about bringing in a player on a specific play, ala "beast package" with AJ Johnson? If so, I could see that. However if you mean someone starting most of the snaps on both sides of the ball, no that won't happen.

If the idea and the cliche every coach says about "we want the best 11 players on the field" is true, then IMO we should have a few youngsters playing two ways. I do agree a two way player can't take most of the snaps on both sides of the ball. However there probably are some WRs that take most of their snaps offensively that could play corner a few snaps per game and in special situations like a Hail Mary prevent DB. Likewise some LBs and/or DLs and OLs, could play TE or RB in special goal line packages. There are scenarios where this can and should easily work IMO. Just dismissing it without thought or seeing how it has been applied when successful elsewhere makes no sense to me.

Since we are short handed at linebacker and probably other positions, any chance we have some players playing offense and defense? If so, who are some that might?
Not at LB which is where the most help is needed. CB is difficult as well.

If the idea and the cliche every coach says about "we want the best 11 players on the field" is true, then IMO we should have a few youngsters playing two ways. I do agree a two way player can't take most of the snaps on both sides of the ball. However there probably are some WRs that take most of their snaps offensively that could play corner a few snaps per game and in special situations like a Hail Mary prevent DB. Likewise some LBs and/or DLs and OLs, could play TE or RB in special goal line packages. There are scenarios where this can and should easily work IMO. Just dismissing it without thought or seeing how it has been applied when successful elsewhere makes no sense to me.
IMO, the two positions you could more likely do it with are S and DT. You might have a TE who can play DE. I think LB would be the most difficult to do followed by CB.

Are you talking about bringing in a player on a specific play, ala "beast package" with AJ Johnson? If so, I could see that. However if you mean someone starting most of the snaps on both sides of the ball, no that won't happen.
With the shortage of LBs, I could see One of the bigger RBs playing both offense and defense for more than a trick play. I doubt that one would play all 120-10 snaps a game. However, if our RBs are as good as some think, we could have one play 2- snap on offense and 40-50 played on defense I fact, we may have to have more than 1 RB playing on bite sides off the ball, especially if they had played both during the HS days. I am afraid that might be how needed if we survive the season early in the season this Fall.

Since we are short handed at linebacker and probably other positions, any chance we have some players playing offense and defense? If so, who are some that might?

Not in the traditional sense like in high school or middle school.

Even teams with fully loaded rosters will put a DL as a lead blocker, a LB as a wildcat QB, or make a tall WR defend a Hail Mary.

I've heard they might line up Beckwith behind Simmons, at the goalline.. :p

VN Store

Back