Nice Vid of Saturday Practice..

I think it will be 5 because of his game day experience and that ability to tuck it and run (1vol8, before you jump in here, I know 18 can run too but I don't think he's got the burst that 5 has; no need to inform me otherwise). I think 18 can scramble but 5 is an actual run threat and he brings that extra dimension to the offense. I think CJH just won't want to pass that up so he will tap 5 for the job. And 15 seems like a distant third, he doesn't have the energy or intensity of the other two. Just my guess from observing a few pratice plays so I'm probably reading things into it, I freely admit.

I think it will be 5 because of his game day experience and that ability to tuck it and run (1vol8, before you jump in here, I know 18 can run too but I don't think he's got the burst that 5 has; no need to inform me otherwise). I think 18 can scramble but 5 is an actual run threat and he brings that extra dimension to the offense. I think CJH just won't want to pass that up so he will tap 5 for the job. And 15 seems like a distant third, he doesn't have the energy or intensity of the other two. Just my guess from observing a few pratice plays so I'm probably reading things into it, I freely admit.
Lol. Why would I get involved in such a true statement that forms your opinion? Hooker IS a stronger runner. Maurer is just faster. I personally think it’ll come down to who is more effective in the passing game.

Lol. Why would I get involved in such a true statement that forms your opinion? Hooker IS a stronger runner. Maurer is just faster. I personally think it’ll come down to who is more effective in the passing game.

Genuine question for you. What if both are indistinguishable in the passing game? Does the nod go to HH? I have to think it does because in the highlights I've seen, granted it is a highlight film but still, he turns into a running back across the line of scrimmage, that is, he makes cuts and reads blockers in a way that I don't think BM easily does. Brian's frame is too tall and lanky, and even that thing when he landed on his head had to do with not having body control. You typically don't see a real running back go flying around so awkwardly. So my question is, if they are both equal in the passing game, is Hooker the better choice because of superior running? That can be a devastating offensive weapon, as Dobbs so often showed. Forces a linebacker to stay near as a spy and the D can't double cover receivers. Interested in your honest thoughts and rebuttal.

Nice seeing the QB's not staring down their receivers constantly in practice.

I wonder if that will translate to the games?........................

On one pass by 5 in this video, he looked like he was aiming it instead of throwing it fluidly. He was a good runner at VT but was iffy passing. That one pass that caught my attention may just be an exception but DB's will eat that up. GBO

Reactions: LittleVol and 1vol8
Genuine question for you. What if both are indistinguishable in the passing game? Does the nod go to HH? I have to think it does because in the highlights I've seen, granted it is a highlight film but still, he turns into a running back across the line of scrimmage, that is, he makes cuts and reads blockers in a way that I don't think BM easily does. Brian's frame is too tall and lanky, and even that thing when he landed on his head had to do with not having body control. You typically don't see a real running back go flying around so awkwardly. So my question is, if they are both equal in the passing game, is Hooker the better choice because of superior running? That can be a devastating offensive weapon, as Dobbs so often showed. Forces a linebacker to stay near as a spy and the D can't double cover receivers. Interested in your honest thoughts and rebuttal.
Mauer looks to have beefed up considerably.
Competition, competition!

Hooker looks robotic and Mauer looks fluid.

Reactions: VolRage
Amazing difference in the pace of play and the drills to instill that facet into the Offensive mindset.

Man, the pace of that offense will wear opposing defensive linemen out.....and if you're not making first downs it will wear ours out!

If Maurer and Hooker were even in running and passing I think you’d have to go Hooker. However at that point I’m sure it would come down to “in game” decisions and team leadership. That’s a nearly impossible scenario to have and now that I think more about it, I’m sure you’d have to think of time remaining for each. With Hooker you have two years tops. With Maurer you have 3. So maybe you go Maurer. Idk man..... that’s a good question but also one that’s likely to never need answering.

If Maurer and Hooker were even in running and passing I think you’d have to go Hooker. However at that point I’m sure it would come down to “in game” decisions and team leadership. That’s a nearly impossible scenario to have and now that I think more about it, I’m sure you’d have to think of time remaining for each. With Hooker you have two years tops. With Maurer you have 3. So maybe you go Maurer. Idk man..... that’s a good question but also one that’s likely to never need answering.

Good thoughts ... good avi, too

Reactions: 1vol8
Hooker is a runner. Maurer can run but mostly he's a guy with good speed. You don't want him running by design often.

The winner will come down to managing the O, decisions, and delivering the ball on time and target.

It is worth repeating that Maurer has shown big play potential... but also the risk of the big mistake.

IMHO, the problem for Bailey is that he's sort of the same guy as Hooker in the passing game... with less experience... and no real ability to run the ball. I don't see him with a physical advantage that gives him the edge over the other two. If he wins the job it will have to be because he's near perfect in managing the O and making the right decision. He has to gain his edge there.

Hooker also needs to be a really good decision maker and not just in the sense of playing it safe. He needs to be really good at evaluating risks and taking intelligent chances. JG proved that a lack of risk taking can be a risk in and of itself.

Hooker is a runner. Maurer can run but mostly he's a guy with good speed. You don't want him running by design often.

The winner will come down to managing the O, decisions, and delivering the ball on time and target.

It is worth repeating that Maurer has shown big play potential... but also the risk of the big mistake.

IMHO, the problem for Bailey is that he's sort of the same guy as Hooker in the passing game... with less experience... and no real ability to run the ball. I don't see him with a physical advantage that gives him the edge over the other two. If he wins the job it will have to be because he's near perfect in managing the O and making the right decision. He has to gain his edge there.

Hooker also needs to be a really good decision maker and not just in the sense of playing it safe. He needs to be really good at evaluating risks and taking intelligent chances. JG proved that a lack of risk taking can be a risk in and of itself.

To your point...do you think that in Heupel's offense, "managing the O" becomes a lot easier for everyone? From what I understand, you do a few pre-snap reads (easy ones: if A then B) and then after the snap it's look, check down once if needed, and fire the shot within three seconds. If that's a fair assessment, then the whole "managing the O" becomes a lot less complicated than under other the previous regime, when it really took mastery of a very complex system. That's what none of last year's QBs had, and maybe JG seemed to have more of it in practice, so he got the start, but he couldn't do it at game speed nor with game pressure. All this to say...does your point that it comes down to managing the O become a lot easier for the guys this year, and thus less of a big concern?

Reactions: NMVol
To your point...do you think that in Heupel's offense, "managing the O" becomes a lot easier for everyone? From what I understand, you do a few pre-snap reads (easy ones: if A then B) and then after the snap it's look, check down once if needed, and fire the shot within three seconds. If that's a fair assessment, then the whole "managing the O" becomes a lot less complicated than under other the previous regime, when it really took mastery of a very complex system.
Yes and no. Compare it to a 10 question quiz that you have to complete in 1 minute and an single question essay that you have 15 minutes to complete.

Also, they indicated that the QB would have more responsibility to get them into the right play. Going that fast, they can't have long signals and "check with me" audibles. They may give them a shorter list of options than a coach in the box has... but they won't have as much help with the call. It sounds like either micromanaged in a complex thing vs self-managed in a less complex thing. That's what I took from the OC and HC comments after they were hired.

Also, decision quality may become an even higher premium when you go fast. If you basically have 3 options... you better choose the best one.

That's what none of last year's QBs had, and maybe JG seemed to have more of it in practice, so he got the start, but he couldn't do it at game speed nor with game pressure. All this to say...does your point that it comes down to managing the O become a lot easier for the guys this year, and thus less of a big concern?
My definitive answer is... maybe.

Some of that comes down to the mental and emotional make up of the QB. We won't see much if any of that but the coaches will. They are probably trying to pressure those guys as much as possible to see where they break down. Just based on what little we saw last fall... this is the area where Bailey may have some advantage. I didn't see him look rattled. He seemed to stick with his progressions. For a young guy, I thought he made good decisions. The question I guess is can he do it at light speed.

Reactions: SmokinBob
To your point...do you think that in Heupel's offense, "managing the O" becomes a lot easier for everyone? From what I understand, you do a few pre-snap reads (easy ones: if A then B) and then after the snap it's look, check down once if needed, and fire the shot within three seconds. If that's a fair assessment, then the whole "managing the O" becomes a lot less complicated than under other the previous regime, when it really took mastery of a very complex system. That's what none of last year's QBs had, and maybe JG seemed to have more of it in practice, so he got the start, but he couldn't do it at game speed nor with game pressure. All this to say...does your point that it comes down to managing the O become a lot easier for the guys this year, and thus less of a big concern?
I agree. This is why I think we would see fewer mistakes from Mauer in this O.

Yes and no. Compare it to a 10 question quiz that you have to complete in 1 minute and an single question essay that you have 15 minutes to complete.

Also, they indicated that the QB would have more responsibility to get them into the right play. Going that fast, they can't have long signals and "check with me" audibles. They may give them a shorter list of options than a coach in the box has... but they won't have as much help with the call. It sounds like either micromanaged in a complex thing vs self-managed in a less complex thing. That's what I took from the OC and HC comments after they were hired.

Also, decision quality may become an even higher premium when you go fast. If you basically have 3 options... you better choose the best one.

My definitive answer is... maybe.

Some of that comes down to the mental and emotional make up of the QB. We won't see much if any of that but the coaches will. They are probably trying to pressure those guys as much as possible to see where they break down. Just based on what little we saw last fall... this is the area where Bailey may have some advantage. I didn't see him look rattled. He seemed to stick with his progressions. For a young guy, I thought he made good decisions. The question I guess is can he do it at light speed.

Great answer, insightful, thanks

Kenneth George has the worst hands I have ever seen. Even in drills he can't catch the football...

VN Store

Back