2021 Predictions: Defensive Line

Expect our front seven to be horrendous we have no depth and with this fast paced offense it’ll be quick 3 and outs or quick scores and that’s scary with our lack of depth
Depth is not an issue with the Dline. They are easily 3 deep. 4 deep. It's the deepest position on the team.

They just weren't very good last year...

I predict the new flash or fast offense will win some games and not all the non-conference games. And....I predict when we get to the heart of the SEC games, those better teams will have a way of defending the new offense and shut us down mainly to our lack of depth. I'm not seeing our offense defending the QB for long deep passes. I do see a 4 maybe 5 win season until the coaches get the players we need. And, I am actually looking forward to a new style of offense. I just don't see us having the right ammo this year to make it truly successful. Hopefully I am wrong in all of this. But we shall see. Until then, it's all speculation and talk (that we've heard in previous years).

I predict the new flash or fast offense will win some games and not all the non-conference games. And....I predict when we get to the heart of the SEC games, those better teams will have a way of defending the new offense and shut us down mainly to our lack of depth. I'm not seeing our offense defending the QB for long deep passes. I do see a 4 maybe 5 win season until the coaches get the players we need. And, I am actually looking forward to a new style of offense. I just don't see us having the right ammo this year to make it truly successful. Hopefully I am wrong in all of this. But we shall see. Until then, it's all speculation and talk (that we've heard in previous years).
Before I comment, what is your opinion of proper ammo for this offense exactly??

Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo
I think the vols are going to have a season similar in numbers to Dooley's last season. They will have an offense that is capable of producing lots of a points, and a defense that gives up even more. Without a game changer on the D-line and the overall lack of line backers the defense this coming season will be as putrid as Sunseri's defense was. Brace yourselves, it will be ugly.

Considering our previous coach fired the DL coach just a few games into last season, then took over coaching the position....I’d venture to say we will be much improved. Rodney Garner is one of the best in all of college football in developing defensive lineman. Simplified scheme, better coaching and depth will allow this group to play at a much higher level this year, imo.

Not many are willing to go on record in public over unchartered waters with a prediction.
Here are mine for the Defensive Line:

*More sacks
*More Quarterback Hurries
*More Pass Breakups
*More Tackles for Loss
than last season.

This is Matthew Butler's season.
I agree on 2 points. The first is they will play more snaps due to the offensive tempo, so they will have more snaps to build on the stats. The second is Garner is a much better DL coach then these guys have had and is teaching to attack more. They will be much more attacking instead of playing off the ball. I am optimistic they will be better against the pass, but worse on run defense unless we shore up the ILB position.

Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo
Depth is not an issue with the Dline. They are easily 3 deep. 4 deep. It's the deepest position on the team.

They just weren't very good last year...
Are you sure about that?

I count only 13 DL on the roster*, and 3 of those** are walk-ons with no college experience. So really 10 game-ready players.

With 4 on the field at any given time, and frequent rotation (DL is probably the most frequently-rotated position on the field, alongside RB), I'm thinking we need at least 12. And that's without suffering any injuries. We need 12+, we have 10. That's not even three-deep, more like 2.5-deep.

It doesn't seem to me like depth is no issue. Seems to me like it might be a very big issue at this position. What am I missing?

Note: this doesn't even add the level of granularity where we split them out DT and DE; we may have more depth issues in one position or the other if we add that level of detail....

* Blakely, Bumphus, Butler, Middleton, Solomon, Garland, Emerson, Simmons, Thomas, Bailey, Jones, Washington, and Green.
** Jones, Washington, and Green.

Last edited:
Considering our previous coach fired the DL coach just a few games into last season, then took over coaching the position....I’d venture to say we will be much improved. Rodney Garner is one of the best in all of college football in developing defensive lineman. Simplified scheme, better coaching and depth will allow this group to play at a much higher level this year, imo.
I agree with all that, but Tyler Baron is the only truly talented SEC level player on the DL. They will play better than last year, but not nearly good enough for what we need.

Reactions: vettefool
I agree with all that, but Tyler Baron is the only truly talented SEC level player on the DL. They will play better than last year, but not nearly good enough for what we need.
Tyler is listed at LB. Is this a carryover from last year's 3-4 defense? Is he now a 4-3 DE?

If so, that would help answer the question I asked just above your post. Some number of the 14 listed LBs (Baron, Young, Garland (Kwauze), Joseph, Eason, Beasley, French, Harrison, Banks, Humphrey, Page, Shuler, Willis, Valentine) are actually DEs in a 4-3 base defense?

Seems this has been the problem for some 8-10 years......

Reactions: spencer1989

I like what you say, but just wonder if one coach in one off season can do as much as you think he can.

I think they are going to be a gambling D and may well get more sacks and Int's than Pruitt's D got last year but that's not a high bar to get over. Make some great plays and give up a lot of big plays. Should at least be interesting to watch.

I like what you say, but just wonder if one coach in one off season can do as much as you think he can.

I don’t think we are uber-talented up front, but I think last years problems had as much to do about distractions, buy in, motivation, etc., as anything. I think our LB crew was overrated, jmo...and with the lack of experience and talent at that position, it will be a concern. Coaching should be better...distractions should be far less...and I believe there is enough talent upfront to be competitive with most teams. We shall see...

Reactions: savannahfan
Seems to me some of the so called "Vol Faithful" need desperately to find another team to root for. I always thought I was the most pessimistic person in the world. Now I realize I have a lot of competition housed in Vol Nation !!!!

Give me a f-ing break with the fan purity BS. There are no “air quote” fans left at this point. After 15 years of absolute incompetence the Vol fans remaining are committed (or perhaps should be!😎).

We are about to run a very fast paced offense with a depleted DL and Lb rotation. You be Pollyanna if you wish, but I’m going to close my eyes, brace for impact and not expect much this season. Doesn't mean a damn thing about my “faithfulness”. GOT IT?

Tyler is listed at LB. Is this a carryover from last year's 3-4 defense? Is he now a 4-3 DE?

If so, that would help answer the question I asked just above your post. Some number of the 14 listed LBs (Baron, Young, Garland (Kwauze), Joseph, Eason, Beasley, French, Harrison, Banks, Humphrey, Page, Shuler, Willis, Valentine) are actually DEs in a 4-3 base defense?
Eason, Barron, Young are all DE's now. They've been practicing all spring with the DL

VN Store

Back