Heupel Talks With Media Following Second Scrimmage

Was any media at the scrimmage to give some updates?
No press.

But I heard Bailey completed all of his passes. No TDs.
Maurer threw 3 TDs with 2 ints.
Hooker nothing completed downfield and had a few decent runs.

Slaughter is coming on at NB pretty good.
Joseph is beginning to settle in a MLB
Omari Thomas is making a case to start.

Jalin Hyatt had 2 TDs
Wright had a long 50 yard run.

Thats all I got....

No press.

But I heard Bailey completed all of his passes. No TDs.
Maurer threw 3 TDs with 2 ints.
Hooker nothing completed downfield and had a few decent runs.

Slaughter is coming on at NB pretty good.
Joseph is beginning to settle in a MLB
Omari Thomas is making a case to start.

Jalin Hyatt had 2 TDs
Wright had a long 50 yard run.

Thats all I got....

Mauer is such an interesting prospect. Clearly have the confidence and tools, just needs to clean some things up.

HB makes good decisions, it’s yet to be seen if he has that confidence to ride on the edge. I think for him to be a top level QB he’s going to have to make good decisions and be less conservative...Whatever that means

Mauer is such an interesting prospect. Clearly have the confidence and tools, just needs to clean some things up.

HB makes good decisions, it’s yet to be seen if he has that confidence to ride on the edge. I think for him to be a top level QB he’s going to have to make good decisions and be less conservative...Whatever that means

If he can dictate the pace while making good decisions and he should win us some games.

Maybe more conservative.
2 int to 3 td seems reckless to me

Id take 3 td and 2ints over 0 tds...completed passes are nice but do no good if your not scoring
LOL... that depends too. If he's completing passes and driving the field then the Vols are scoring with the run... that's good too.

It takes a lot more info than we've got to figure this out.

I have no idea how the Heupel era will be, but I like this guy. He seems genuine and comfortable in his own skin. And let’s be honest, we haven’t had that since Fulmer.

I think he may just be exactly what this program needs.

Last edited:
Tough to say though because we could still be scoring on the ground too so gotta know the situation
I assumed if that had been the case it would have been mentioned as in he didn't throw td but they scored x tds on the ground

2 turnovers against a good team will get you beat more times than not
Agreed.

The math is _not_ 3 TDs vs 2 Ints = +1 for us.

The math is, 2 Ints = 2 possession advantage to the other team. If we score on all our possessions but those 2 we gave up, and they score on all their possessions, they win by two scores. A game with no turnovers by definition means the two teams will have roughly the same number of possessions (within one). Lost possessions tilt the field in favor of the other team, and things can get out of hand quick.

The Ints are a killer. Maurer needs to reduce risk or all his TD throws aren't going to be enough to get him on the field on Saturdays.

If the open scrimmage was any indication, the running game in the red zone is scoring points. It's hard to make a meaningful assessment from what has been provided. One thing we could gain from today's performance is that Bailey is settling in and playing with more confidence. That's a positive.

Agreed.

The math is _not_ 3 TDs vs 2 Ints = +1 for us.

The math is, 2 Ints = 2 possession advantage to the other team. If we score on all our possessions but those 2 we gave up, and they score on all their possessions, they win by two scores. A game with no turnovers by definition means the two teams will have roughly the same number of possessions (within one). Lost possessions tilt the field in favor of the other team, and things can get out of hand quick.

The Ints are a killer. Maurer needs to reduce risk or all his TD throws aren't going to be enough to get him on the field on Saturdays.
That's not altogether true either. A 3 and out is also a lost possession to the other team.

All of this is situational.

Overall though I agree that Maurer has to cut down on the mistakes... if these INT's were in fact mistakes and not misplays by WR's or something like that.

For me, you'd rather be trying to rein a guy back at this point than pressing them to take more risks.

That's not altogether true either. A 3 and out is also a lost possession to the other team.

All of this is situational.

Overall though I agree that Maurer has to cut down on the mistakes... if these INT's were in fact mistakes and not misplays by WR's or something like that.

For me, you'd rather be trying to rein a guy back at this point than pressing them to take more risks.
4 years we haven't had more then 2 TDs passes in a game...maybe we are just in shock..this offense will be very different then before

Generally, both stats not great...we know nothing about the scenarios to make a judgement. Maurer may have been running sets with downfield emphasis and HB may have been running more sets w/ concentration on shorter routes. Let's just say either of these QB's were JG in a game...we'd not be happy with 0 TD's or 3TD's w/ 2 INT's....maybe we're rushing well RB's push in the end zone, and maybe our D hold the other team from scoring off the 2 INT's.

Generally, both stats not great...we know nothing about the scenarios to make a judgement. Maurer may have been running sets with downfield emphasis and HB may have been running more sets w/ concentration on shorter routes. Let's just say either of these QB's were JG in a game...we'd not be happy with 0 TD's or 3TD's w/ 2 INT's....maybe we're rushing well RB's push in the end zone, and maybe our D hold the other team from scoring off the 2 INT's.
I wouldn't have complained if JG had thrown 3 TD's and a couple of picks depending on the situation if he'd been consistent in getting those 3 or 4 TD's. One of my biggest problems with his game was that he was so, so, so risk averse throwing the ball. He threw 6 TD's and 4 INT's last year in 7 games. That's pathetic.

I'd say you can also accept more INT's from a younger guy than a more experienced guy. JG really didn't grow in that way.

FWIW, Bailey throwing a lot more short balls than Mauer in his action last fall had 4 TD's vs 2 INT's. Again, young guys trying to push SHOULD make some mistakes. If they aren't then they probably aren't pushing enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1vol8
Someone posted a few days ago that on the NC campaign Heupel QB'd he had 30 TD's and 15 INT's, I mean just for sense of what may be tolerable to Coach.

Yeh he wasn't the most consistent qb at Oklahoma , but he came up big when they needed it. Dude just won. I'd love to have someone with the intangibles Heupel had.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2

VN Store

Back