Roster spots?

Looking at the current roster after all the departures, plus the 5 new high school signees, and the one transfer from Auburn, we have 2 scholarships still open. Of course, Fulky does not count toward the 13 scholarship total due to the extra year the NCAA gave players due to COVID-19.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnnyJava
For the 800k time, 2 spots are still open...however 1 is almost certainly going to Handje Tamba.
Do you think they are still waiting it out in the portal a while longer to see what names come out (Dante) before announcing Tamba to reclassify? Or is it just a timing thing the reason he hasn't announced yet?

For the 800k time, 2 spots are still open...however 1 is almost certainly going to Handje Tamba.
Yep, but I won't be surprised if Vescovi bails. I'm actually a little surprised that both ON and Plavsic haven't looked for greener pastures. Barnes apparently sees something in both those guys that we fans don't. Really like the way Barnes has flipped this roster. One of my great fears was that we'd waste the time we had with Chandler. To his credit, Barnes has done a really nice job in addressing last years holes in our roster. Not sure which way he goes with the cards he has left to play, but I'd really like to see a mature big who can defend the rim and give us consistent rebounding. Outside of BHH, I'm not sure our incoming players have the physical tools needed to battle in the SEC this coming season.

Yep, but I won't be surprised if Vescovi bails. I'm actually a little surprised that both ON and Plavsic haven't looked for greener pastures. Barnes apparently sees something in both those guys that we fans don't. Really like the way Barnes has flipped this roster. One of my great fears was that we'd waste the time we had with Chandler. To his credit, Barnes has done a really nice job in addressing last years holes in our roster. Not sure which way he goes with the cards he has left to play, but I'd really like to see a mature big who can defend the rim and give us consistent rebounding. Outside of BHH, I'm not sure our incoming players have the physical tools needed to battle in the SEC this coming season.

I hope Vescovi comes back.

Stupid question. Can players that were not seniors come back at the end of their career for an extra year and not count towards scholly limits. So could Bailey get an extra year after Senior year and not count.

Stupid question. Can players that were not seniors come back at the end of their career for an extra year and not count towards scholly limits. So could Bailey get an extra year after Senior year and not count.
Everybody got a free year last year. It didnā€™t count towards anyoneā€™s actual class.

You are expressing my fears as well.

Vescovi has - at least for the time being - a role on the team as backup PG and will at least get significant minutes at the 2. He might even be the starting 2. He needs to improve his 3 point shooting and improve his defense. I hope he stays and embraces his role and the challenge of improving and competing for a starting spot. I don't think it's a given Powell will start over him, or Bailey.

As for Plavsic and ON, I had the same thought that since they are both still here, Barnes must want them to be here. I know he said a few times that Plavsic improved at the end of the season. I felt going into last year that his improvement was crucial to us having a great year, because without that, Fulky would have no help, and that proved unfortunately to be true. Now we face the same thing this year, at least with the way the roster is constructed now. If we don't get an experienced low post player in the portal, and if Plavsic can't give us 10 good minutes or more, Fulky will be the 5 again without much help. I assume Aidoo is probably not going to help much his first year. If he does, it's a bonus. But the prospect of Fulky playing well over 30 minutes at the 5 each game is still real at this writing. And that could be a real problem for next season's prospects of success. I hope Uros will be ready to help significantly, and I hope we get the experienced post player from the portal just in case he isn't.

I think the 4 is solid with BHH, ON, JJJ, and Fulky in the fold. But I'm still worried about the 5.

I think it's 5 will be .. BHH , Fulky , JJJ , Powell and Chandler .. subs .. Vescovi , Bailey , ON , Mashek and 7 foot guy. But I'd be looking for a true 5 in transfer portal .. so the 7 foot guy can play his way in.

VN Store

Back