Why is Texas ranked 3rd?

Baseball rankings are garbage. Typically they are based on how much MLB talent is on the roster so they are more of a projection of how good the team could be. We are the exception because we have forced the voters to rank us this highly due to our actual results on the field.

If you open the season against Mississippi State, Arkansas, and Ole Miss 0-3 and go 29-5 since then with a sweep of a very good South Carolina team. That's pretty darn good. Yes they lost 2-0 to A & M. But lets not judge that series until after next weekend. We may not get out of there without a loss.

Reactions: volfan__18
If you open the season against Mississippi State, Arkansas, and Ole Miss 0-3 and go 29-5 since then with a sweep of a very good South Carolina team. That's pretty darn good. Yes they lost 2-0 to A & M. But lets not judge that series until after next weekend. We may not get out of there without a loss.

How many of those teams were ranked? Abilene, KState, Kansas, and Sam Houston aren’t exactly world-beaters. Other than South Carolina, they haven’t beaten a ranked team all year other.

So they’re ranked 3rd in America because they swept South Carolina?

How many of those teams were ranked? Abilene, KState, Kansas, and Sam Houston aren’t exactly world-beaters. Other than South Carolina, they haven’t beaten a ranked team all year other.

So they’re ranked 3rd in America because they swept South Carolina?
They cant help their conference teams suck

They cant help their conference teams suck

I hate that “logic.” I realize they can’t help it. That doesn’t mean you give them credit for things they haven’t done.

They’re ranked #3 in America. They’ve beaten 1 ranked team all year. That’s stupid.

I hate that “logic.” I realize they can’t help it. That doesn’t mean you give them credit for things they haven’t done.

They’re ranked #3 in America. They’ve beaten 1 ranked team all year. That’s stupid.
Cant cry about that when Vandy is taking us to the shed today

Cant cry about that when Vandy is taking us to the shed today

What does that have to do with Texas? Do you think Texas would beat Vanderbilt? I don’t. But they don’t have to. All they have to do is beat ONE RANKED OPPONENT ALL YEAR and they get to be ranked 3rd in America.

I feel like we all owe you a debt of gratitude. Thanks for bringing so much to the table. You really carried this thread.
I do my part. Sorry not a dick. I just dont understand our fan base tends to always find a way to try and justify why others are ranked or why we arent ranked higher. I'm just the type that says let your actions on the field make your statement. If they deserve the ranking come playoff times or not. Their game on the field will decide.

Reactions: vol66
I do my part. Sorry not a dick. I just dont understand our fan base tends to always find a way to try and justify why others are ranked or why we arent ranked higher. I'm just the type that says let your actions on the field make your statement. If they deserve the ranking come playoff times or not. Their game on the field will decide.

Yep. In the national rankings they take tradition into account for better or worse. One doesn’t have to look any farther than LSU to see that.

I think that’s kind of the point he’s making. TX is 7-5 vs top 50 teams; we’re 14-8. We have more top 50 wins than they even have games played. We have a 67% winning % against SEC opponents, they’re at 43% in 7 games vs. the SEC. Many think our actions on the field (i.e. quality wins) justify being ranked ahead of TX. But as 66 said, tradition/brand bias is no doubt in effect in these polls.

VN Store

Back