NCAA aims for less contact in preseason football practice.

Not sure this a great idea. Part of hitting in practice is to learn how to hit and take hits properly.

I believe it was Week 2 in the NFL this past season and it seemed like their was injury after injury on that Sunday. Players need to be in team facilities training their bodies and learning how to take hits properly.

Report from the Associated Press this morning. My apologies if this has been posted before. I’m not sure how to link the article. Maybe someone can provide this.

Just the start of contact football being completely eliminated in a few years IMO.
Don't think this is true.

Here's the AP's web page for sports news: Sports

There's not a single article on that page about college football and contact limitations. In fact, there's not even an article on that page about the NCAA in any way.

You may have been trolled, Abingdon.

Don't think this is true.

Here's the AP's web page for sports news: Sports

There's not a single article on that page about college football and contact limitations. In fact, there's not even an article on that page about the NCAA in any way.

You may have been trolled, Abingdon.
it was in the Bristol Herald Courier paper this morning. IDK, was I being trolled?

Reactions: Border Vol
Probably.

Or perhaps you didn't notice that it was a three-week-old paper you were reading.
Paper was from this morning. The source stated is the Associated Press. The point is the options being considered , not how old the reported information is or which reputable news source is reporting it.

Some Highlights:

NCAA Oversight Comittee recommended changes.

1-Fewer padded practices
2-Elimination of Old School collision drills.
3-At least 9 of 25 preseason practices with helmets but no pads.
4-Todd Lyons WVU athletic Director is head of the committee. Final recommendation should be presented at May 19th Division 1 council meeting. If passed the model would go into effect this year.
5-A 5 year study found 48.5 % of all reported concussions occurred during August preseason.

Last edited:
Reactions: ArdentVol
NCAA is becoming more and more a tool of the woke snowflakes that are destroying this great country. They have also taken more and more to threatening to pull championship events from States that have the AUDACITY to pass laws with which they disagree. That is the very definition of a Political Action Committee. NCAA needs to decide if they are a sports organization or a PAC. If they persist in the latter, it is time for schools to start leaving and form a real sports oversight body.

Check out how many full-pad contact practices are allowed in an NFL season. It is only like 14, I think. I'd say they want to do something similar or even more extreme.

Report from the Associated Press this morning. My apologies if this has been posted before. I’m not sure how to link the article. Maybe someone can provide this.

Just the start of contact football being completely eliminated in a few years IMO.

We just need to plan for how to make those flags stay on better when they are pulled by our opponents.

Paper was from this morning. The source stated is the Associated Press. The point is the options being considered , not how old the reported information is or which reputable news source is reporting it.

Some Highlights:

1-Fewer padded practices
4-Todd Lyons WVU athletic Director is head of the committee. Final recommendation should be presented at May 19th Division 1 council meeting. If passed the model would go into effect this year.
5-A 5 year study found 48.5 % of all reported concussions occurred during August preseason.
I read this the other day too....IIRC also in there was a cut in scrimmages allowed.

Some Highlights:

1-Fewer padded practices
All of this is stupid but especially the bolded. The way you learn how to take a hit is to get hit. There's no other way. At game speed, they're asking for MORE injuries.

FWIW... they really just need to step back and deal with the size of the players. They could establish height/weight limits and accomplish the injury reduction they want and probably have a more exciting game. Football has always been a tough and painful sport... but the injuries have gotten much worse since player weights started increasing. The 1985 NC Oklahoma team had 4 players 285 lbs or heavier. It wasn't uncommon to see OL's weighing 250-260.

Whip out the flags.

81Y8zdrsU6L._AC_UL320_.jpg

VN Store

Back