Todd Helton & Current Tn baseball program

Is he involved at all ? Going to games ?

Be nice to see the field named for him when they renovate it perhaps?
Great player but I am guessing they are not going to name a field after a former player who has multiple DUI's. Not saying anything negative about him by any means because we all make mistakes and poor decisions but naming a field for a person is a huge deal.

He was involved a couple years ago, when he retired from The Rockies I believe. Not sure if he still is, it wasn’t an on the field kind of position I don’t think, but I am not sure.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Four years after his retirement from baseball, in 2017, Helton returned to Tennessee’s baseball program as Director of Player Development. According to the school, in his volunteer role, Helton is responsible for maintaining alumni relations, assisting with on-campus recruiting, collaborating with UT’s coaching staff, and helping Tennessee’s current players make informed decisions about pursuing professional baseball careers.

Helton comes on the Big Orange Sunday show and talks baseball each week. I am not sure what he is doing outside of that. My guess is some big money person will come in and put up $2MM and get their name on the field.

Unfortunately he was working on his house and fell I believe threw the roof, hurt and banged himself up pretty bad he been dealing with getting healed up. I sure when he‘s better will see him around a little more.

I’d like to have it named for him but he’s going to need quit driving drunk. He’s got busted twice this decade. I really like the guy, I think if he can go a period of time and show that he’s improved then he deserves it

Last edited:
He probably wouldn't pass the purity test either.

Try hard enough and we can fail everyone.
That’s not what I’m asking for. I’m not judging Helton or trying to be the moral police, I just don’t want to have someone’s name on our stadium if they are actively getting DUI’s. If he’s gotten better now I’m all for him having his name up. You should’ve read my previous post

That’s not what I’m asking for. I’m not judging Helton or trying to be the moral police, I just don’t want to have someone’s name on our stadium if they are actively getting DUI’s. If he’s gotten better now I’m all for him having his name up. You should’ve read my previous post

I read your post.

You've got your reason to fail Helton. Somebody else has a reason to fail Dickey. Somebody else has a reason to fail Cockrell.....etc, etc.

I read your post.

You've got your reason to fail Helton. Somebody else has a reason to fail Dickey. Somebody else has a reason to fail Cockrell.....etc, etc.
It’s not failing him. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect someone our stadium is named after to avoid doing seriously dangerous things.

I agree. Naming a field, stadium, or building anywhere after a person is a big deal. Hopefully, Lindsey's name will stay with us for a long time on the stadium but naming the field PROBABLY will be named after a huge donor. Be interesting to see how it "plays" out! Hope Todd is recovering from the injuries. Falling through or off the roof can be deadly!

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
I get it. Plenty of people would agree with you.

Look at some of the other names I mentioned. Both of those Vol legends have been public about their failings. Somebody would fail both of them. And just for the record, I would fly across the country to bail out one of them and I was barely a casual aquantence.

Reactions: vol66
Name it for Mookie Betts,even though he never played here,the kids we are recruiting will instantly know who that is! Put all the MLB former UT players up on billboards at the stadium.Kids love this stuff.I'm an old man and I know that!

Reactions: Volfan1000
OP, Thanks for posting this. I just briefly read some of the info about Helton. I had forgotten how freaking good he was.

Wouldn’t mind name it after RA Dickey either. He’s a good man and was a great pitcher

Story on RA Dickey in today's News Sentinel in which he told the Tennessee baseball team to enjoy this trip to Omaha and he is a big fan of Vitello and he marveled at how quickly Vitello has turned the program around in four seasons.

Dickey played on the Tennessee baseball squad that went to Omaha in 2005.

VN Store

Back