Greg Amsler vs Derek Barnett

Goal line drill

Who you taking?

If your young go to YouTube & look Greg up
Greg Amsler.

He used everybit of his 240 lbs.
Wasn't fast, but always drove his legs and kept his feet moving.

Barnett was a decent run stopper, but he ain't stopping greg on a goal line with a head of steam 1 v 1.

True but Barnett did break Reggie’s sack record at UT
Yes. I was at the bowl game where that happened. Still, Barnett ain't Reggie.

Barnett played in an era of much more passing, therefore had much more opportunity. QB's would die if Reggie existed today and was given the opportunity to pass rush nearly every down. Think Babe Ruth. Yes, his homerun record was surpassed, but you gotta realize when he set his record, he had more homeruns that year than some TEAMS. He had twice as many as the guy in second. That's Reggie compared to Barnett. And Barnett was really really good.

Oh yeah..... Amsler. And it ain't close.

Two entirely different positions. I do not believe Greg Amsler would have been a superb edge rusher like Barnett and I don't think Barnett would have been as effective out of the backfield as Amsler

True but Barnett did break Reggie’s sack record at UT

Don't know the stats to back this up but I would say that Barnett was in a much more pass-happy sport than Reggie was, thus giving Barnett more opportunity for sacks. Reggie did most of his damage in a season or two at UT. Don't believe freshmen played back in Reggie's day.

Reggie is regarded as either the best defensive end or at the top of the list of the best defensive ends to ever play. I'm going with Reggie over the entire body of work. Reggie could absolutely take over a game at the Collegiate and professional level. There are very few athletes in that category. The Michael Jordan category.

Reactions: sgtwebb1
Two entirely different positions. I do not believe Greg Amsler would have been a superb edge rusher like Barnett and I don't think Barnett would have been as effective out of the backfield as Amsler

I think the point of the OP's comparison is not that they're playing the same position, but which would overcome the other in a goal line situation?

Greg Amsler came in the mold of Roland Poles and William Howard but a little lighter and more moveable. I vaguely remember those two but do remember him and Mose Phillips.

The later two came on as football transitioned from big fullbacks and the power run game to a more wide open, back out of backfield passing game.

Fond memories of Amsler!

Yes. I was at the bowl game where that happened. Still, Barnett ain't Reggie.

Barnett played in an era of much more passing, therefore had much more opportunity. QB's would die if Reggie existed today and was given the opportunity to pass rush nearly every down. Think Babe Ruth. Yes, his homerun record was surpassed, but you gotta realize when he set his record, he had more homeruns that year than some TEAMS. He had twice as many as the guy in second. That's Reggie compared to Barnett. And Barnett was really really good.

Oh yeah..... Amsler. And it ain't close.
Also, Reggie played in one or two fewer games per year than Barnett.

VN Store

Back