that didn't take long

In other words ... we don’t have enough supporting votes to veto it, so we’ll play nice and take the pay raise that comes with it.

I think their President was in the loop the whole time. This thing was at the top levels to have been quiet for this long... Probably sat the Chancellor and AD down and said nope guys, its a go. Doesn't hurt that they appear to be upset to appease some of the fanbase. But now, time to move along.

With potential for announcement this week from both schools and SEC, needed to settle things down.

I think their President was in the loop the whole time. This thing was at the top levels to have been quiet for this long... Probably sat the Chancellor and AD down and said nope guys, its a go. Doesn't hurt that they appear to be upset to appease some of the fanbase. But now, time to move along.

With potential for announcement this week from both schools and SEC, needed to settle things down.

I have no doubt that the A&M President and AD were in the loop the whole time, but I have no doubt they would vote no and keep Texas and OU out if they could have garnered 3 or more votes to go along. I think Mizzou and Arky were probably the only other ones that would have even entertained the thought of a nay vote though, the writing is on the wall and they realize that. Time to put up the united front for appearance sake.

I would bet some of the A&M people either didn't understand the contract or thought they had more leverage than they did.

Headed for a semi-pro league, after these additions, comprised of the top 8 or 10 SEC teams plus a cherry pick from each conference, Ohio State Clemson maybe others, to form a semi-pro football league. The majority of future NFL players are already attending these schools anyway. Just thinking outside the box a little.

Reactions: guido4198
We are not losing due to the level of competition…. We are losing due to being poorly run from administration on down.

Tennessee will in no way benefit from adding two more teams to the SEC, who already heavily recruit the same states we do, and have administrations that care about winning.

It's all but a done deal at this point it seems, but this will only further solidify us as a perennial middling team in the conference, and our administration is 100% ok with that as long as it means more SEC Network money.

Last edited:
Tennessee will in no way benefit from adding two more teams to the SEC, who already heavily recruit the same states we do, and have administrations that care about winning.

It's all but a done deal at this point it seems, but this will only further solidify teams us as a perineal middling team in the conference, and our administration is 100% ok with that as lone as it means more SEC Network money.
I have to disagree and say that our admin wouldn’t have gone out and hired White if they were ok with mediocrity.

It's all but a done deal at this point it seems, but this will only further solidify us as a perineal middling team in the conference, and our administration is 100% ok with that as lone as it means more SEC Network money.
I’m completely ok with it…… I just want football to be fun again…. We have not been consistently fun for awhile…. I’m not afraid of Texas or Oklahoma.

Maybe I'm the only one but all the "woe is me...we are terrible and will be terrible for the rest of our lives" stuff is kinda over the top. We are playing and recruiting at a level NO ONE thought we would in basketball and baseball just a few short....very short...years ago and football can ....and based on history that probably about 10% of we here on Volnation have seen...will return there again. JMO of course and currently we are still free to express those sentiments. However if the NCAA goes the direction most other majors sports have (and I'm sure they will) then it'll put the proverbial "nail in the coffin" for me and I'll be doing something more positive with my time anyways. I just can't justify giving my passion and definitely not my hard earned money to an entity that goes against most values I hold dear. So get the popcorn, sit back, and let's see where this train leads. It's DEFINITELY going to get interesting!

'It's all but a done deal at this point it seems, but this will only further solidify us as a perineal middling team in the conference, and our administration is 100% OK with that as long as it means more SEC Network money.[/QUOTE]

Taint so:
You may want to look up the definition of perineal and correct that to perennial to avoid embarrassment.
If the Vols ever turn perineal, we won't be far from Uranus.

Last edited:
I’m completely ok with it…… I just want football to be fun again…. We have not been consistently fun for awhile…. I’m not afraid of Texas or Oklahoma.

It's not about being afraid, it's about adding two more teams to the SEC, who already recruit heavily in the SEC states, but previously had the drawback of being in the Big12.

You can't win in the SEC if you can't consistently recruit at a high level, and adding Texas and Oklahoma, will make it harder for us to woo those players that are good enough to start for teams like Alabama/Georgia/Florida, but would still be 2nd or 3rd on the depth chart in spite of the talent.

It's a net loss for UT in terms of finding a path back to relevance in the conference.

I feel like people forget how bad OU was before Bob Stoops or what Texas was before and has been after Mack Brown, hell they weren’t world beaters when he was there. There was a time when I’d see Bama on the schedule and it wasn’t a big task at all. Yes this is a different era and lots of changes are happening to us right now. You’re probably a little scared and maybe a little curious, and you know what?….that’s natural, but for FFS some of y’all need to get a grip.

VN Store

Back