The real reason for conference expansion…

TheGoodStuff

Recruiting.

I haven’t heard this discussed specifically but I think it’s the real factor in play. A few reasons why… the larger the audience the more endorsement value a player has.

When TX and Ok join the SEC it obviously makes it a super conference for several reasons. So put yourself in a major brands shoe that wants to endorse a a few college players.

What can you pay to endorse John Doe playing at Georgia vs OSU (or two other relatively equal programs)? With the expansion of the sec GA would be a Tier 1 endorsement with more value because of the viewer base. OSU would have a smaller viewer base and would be a tier 2 endorsement for the exact same kid.

Where will kids go when they find out the endorsements contracts are worth more to advertisers in the SEC than anywhere else?

Because of this sole factor I believe TX and OK are just the beginning. What are the other blue bloods going to do when they realize they are losing players due to endorsement values and viewer markets. It will create an unfair recruiting advantage. You can go to OSU and get $600k for your likeness or GA and get $1mil. Where are you gonna go if all else is equal?

just my thoughts on the REAL reason for the conference expansion…what do ya think?

I agree money and recruiting are synonymous in this conversation. That was kind of the point.

but IMO understanding HOW the money creates an unfair recruiting advantage helps shed light on how/why other conferences/teams are gonna be forced to follow suit

Simple, no program of real substance wants to join the BIG XII. So it can't expand, can't provide a divisional conference game, and will struggle to get a team into the CFP consistently. Therefore the BIG XII is weak, and the futures money outlook is not good. If PAC 12 rose up in college football, then the BIG XII would be devastated.

OU and Tejas see the writing on the wall.

No. Deals will factor in local celebetri availability and boosters. OSU is in a large city with no major pro teams there (mls...meh). Same for Austin. Knoxville is in a strong tier 2. UGA is not in as good a shape in BFE and an hour away in Atlanta they have wwayyy bigger athletes.

That said - it is a factor for OU/TX (from fans perspective). Both apparently think they just need the SEC tag to recruit even better. They clearly don't get going from 1 loss/year at OU to 4 losses a year in the SEC will hurt them way more. Recruits, like pollsters, look a lot at W/L. SEC brand will give them a boost - but not as much as winning on the field and being able to sell X number of conference titles and being in the playoff every few years. Kids want to WIN...why they go to OSU and Clemson.

Reactions: jonnon111
No. Deals will factor in local celebetri availability and boosters. OSU is in a large city with no major pro teams there (mls...meh). Same for Austin. Knoxville is in a strong tier 2. UGA is not in as good a shape in BFE and an hour away in Atlanta they have wwayyy bigger athletes.

Do you agree endorsements will pay more in the SEC with TX and OK?

Would a player get paid more money for his likeness at TX in the BigXII or the SEC as super conference?

That said - it is a factor for OU/TX (from fans perspective). Both apparently think they just need the SEC tag to recruit even better. They clearly don't get going from 1 loss/year at OU to 4 losses a year in the SEC will hurt them way more. Recruits, like pollsters, look a lot at W/L. SEC brand will give them a boost - but not as much as winning on the field and being able to sell X number of conference titles and being in the playoff every few years. Kids want to WIN...why they go to OSU and Clemson.
Winning is fun….a drug. We don’t need the SEC logo on our uniforms for elite level athletes to come here if we are winning. Our facilities and playing in front of the 4th largest city in this state once every seat is filled…Neyland Stadium.

If we are in the ACC or Big Ten for instance….when this place is winning everything else fixes itself. USC/Oregon never worried when they were rolling in the Pete Carroll/Chip Kelly era. Mack Brown/Texas and Bob Stoops/OU were never worried. Bobby Bowden/Jim Tressell just went out and kept winning. Dabo gives ZERO f’s he is in the ACC….funny those top 5 repeated recruiting classes don’t either.

UGA owns Atlanta.

Recruiting.

I haven’t heard this discussed specifically but I think it’s the real factor in play. A few reasons why… the larger the audience the more endorsement value a player has.

When TX and Ok join the SEC it obviously makes it a super conference for several reasons. So put yourself in a major brands shoe that wants to endorse a a few college players.

What can you pay to endorse John Doe playing at Georgia vs OSU (or two other relatively equal programs)? With the expansion of the sec GA would be a Tier 1 endorsement with more value because of the viewer base. OSU would have a smaller viewer base and would be a tier 2 endorsement for the exact same kid.

Where will kids go when they find out the endorsements contracts are worth more to advertisers in the SEC than anywhere else?

Because of this sole factor I believe TX and OK are just the beginning. What are the other blue bloods going to do when they realize they are losing players due to endorsement values and viewer markets. It will create an unfair recruiting advantage. You can go to OSU and get $600k for your likeness or GA and get $1mil. Where are you gonna go if all else is equal?

just my thoughts on the REAL reason for the conference expansion…what do ya think?

It's the next TV deal that will along with TX/OK will add another $10 million plus per team. Sankey was asked about a rumor that each SEC team would get $70 million each from TV deal and he gave a look like that was a low number.

So this is really happening? I thought there would be no way. Does anyone really see this as a positive thing for us?

So this is really happening? I thought there would be no way. Does anyone really see this as a positive thing for us?
It’s a huge positive just for the increased media rights fees that every school will share in.

Me neither. Both of those programs are way ahead of us. I just don’t see this helping us in recruiting either.
It'll just give Texas and OU more access to our recruiting footprint, where we have enough competition already. SEC membership will also give them added strength in defending their own turf from other SEC teams. It's helping Texas and OU tremendously, the rest of us not so much, especially a program like ours that is already facing the challenge of trying to return to consistent relevance.

Where are all the folks declaring other conference teams would struggle if they played SEC teams every week? Now thinking OU and Texas will kill us because they are conference powers. I thought the SEC ruled everybody, not just B10

I don't want the expansion simply because I feel like rivalries are dying. I am sure it will happen though. I also don't want Texas just because they single handedly destroyed their previous conference and seemed to be smug about it. That's just my opinion.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL

VN Store

Back