Condredge Holloway story on SEC Network

Baseball was his favorite sport. He was an all around OUTSTANDING ATHLETE, and is even a better person. Credit to his raising……

From Wikipedia:
Surprisingly, football wasn't Holloway's favorite sport; he preferred baseball. After starring as a high school player at Lee High School in Huntsville, he was drafted as a shortstop by the Montreal Expos in 1971. Holloway was Montreal's first pick, and he was the fourth player selected overall.[2] However, Holloway's mother, insisting her son attend college, refused to sign the contract (Condredge was 17, too young to sign a contract under Alabama law) and instead he went to Tennessee. In so doing Holloway became the first African-American to start at the quarterback position in a Southeastern Conference school.[3]In addition to being the first black quarterback at Tennessee and in the Southeastern Conference, Holloway also was the first black baseball player in Tennessee history. The outstanding prospect bypassed a baseball career, and Holloway opted instead, for a two-sport collegiate career and went on to excel on the diamond. He garnered All-SEC and All-America honors as a shortstop in 1975 and finished with a .353 career batting average. Holloway — still the owner of Tennessee's longest hitting streak at 27 games — was selected to Tennessee's All-Century Baseball Team, making him the only Tennessee student-athlete named to all-century squads in both baseball and football.

Condredge is as classy example of a player, student and a person you will ever see rolled up into a Vol For Life.

Came from a wonderful background too.

Also getting him from "Beahs' grip was nice.

Will never forget him dodging potential tacklers and getting positive yards for us.

Last edited:
Reactions: Volbackhomefromtx
The artful dodger was the perfect name for Holloway! My first memories of UT was Holloway and him running around. He reminded me of Fran Tarkenton back then when I was little. Condredge running around in orange making people miss would make me laugh and get me excited. That's when and where I became a Vol fan and it's been in my blood ever since!!!! GBO!!!!! Great teams in the 60's and early 70's and a good 80's decade followed by a great 90's. Tennessee will be back!!!!! GBO!!!!!

VN Store

Back