And all's right in the world

Never heard of Pals. Are they any good?

We (Colorado Springs) are getting In&Out Burger and Whattaburger in town.

In&Out is decent but overhyped and not worth waiting 3 hours for.

I believe Whattaburger is much better. They are still under construction.

Both are real good for localized traffic jams.

Reactions: wmcovol
I'm concerned about the potential of NIL money to finish off what little is left of the ideal of amateurism in major college athletics, but I'm delighted for Fulkerson. This seems like a natural and rational partnership rather than laundered booster money. In any case, if anyone deserves to be able to cash in on his playing days as a Vol, Fulkerson does.

Only in East Tenn. Maybe 1 in SW VA?

Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo
My two youngest kids work there. I'm there a lot😄

Didn't realize they're 5 in VA.

Is the food as good as Fulky claims? I always wish I had one nearby when I read about it. I wonder whether it's something like Braum's in Oklahoma.

Here's what I like about this deal:

1) Fulkerson's earned his place as a fan favorite by his hustle on the court and his good deeds off it; he's not a high-profile recruit being wooed by boosters with businesses.

2) Fulkerson has given his all for Tennessee, and he's in Knoxville because he wanted to be a Vol, not because he was selling his services to the highest bidder.

3) We know Fulkerson believes in the product he's promoting and has a basis for judgment; he's not a teenager pretending to have an informed opinion about, say, insurance agents or car dealerships.

4) This deal surely makes good business sense for Pal's; it's not just a way to funnel money to an athlete.

I'm not holding my breath, but perhaps I'll be pleasantly surprised and more of these NIL deals will be like Fulky's, which seems to me to preserve something important of the spirit of college athletics.

Oooh, salty. I was surprised also that Pals jumped in there with an early attempt at making a deal with somebody. He's a good dude. Hopefully he likes his Frenchy Fries.

Here's what I like about this deal:

1) Fulkerson's earned his place as a fan favorite by his hustle on the court and his good deeds off it; he's not a high-profile recruit being wooed by boosters with businesses.

2) Fulkerson has given his all for Tennessee, and he's in Knoxville because he wanted to be a Vol, not because he was selling his services to the highest bidder.

3) We know Fulkerson believes in the product he's promoting and has a basis for judgment; he's not a teenager pretending to have an informed opinion about, say, insurance agents or car dealerships.

4) This deal surely makes good business sense for Pal's; it's not just a way to funnel money to an athlete.

I'm not holding my breath, but perhaps I'll be pleasantly surprised and more of these NIL deals will be like Fulky's, which seems to me to preserve something important of the spirit of college athletics.
It's a business decision for both Fulk and Pal's. It's not some majestic noble gesture by either party.

Reactions: AngryButchJones
It's only a matter of time until this company goes public and expands. They pursued a slow growth strategy while Pal Barger was still alive and now that he has passed, I would be shocked if they didn't eventually do this.
Could easily end up being the next Shake Shack, only better. Every time I visit Kingsport I go find one. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. Places like In-N-Out Burger and Five Guys don't come close............

It's a business decision for both Fulk and Pal's. It's not some majestic noble gesture by either party.

Of course it's a business decision for both parties -- one that makes actual business sense. Do you think all the businesses that Bryce Young will be endorsing for a combined fee of nearly $1,000,000 per year have a reasonable hope of seeing a return on their investment? To the extent that any don't, those endorsement deals aren't business decisions for the business owners at all, but a means of funneling booster money to "amateur" athletes without risking sanctions for those athletes and the schools they play for.

The Pal's deal, by contrast, would have made actual business sense even absent the removal of the old prohibition against student athletes receiving NIL money (they'd simply have had to wait until his collegiate playing career was over to execute the deal). That doesn't make the deal "some majestic noble gesture," but it does make it less corrosive of the ideal of amateurism (whether you hold that ideal in high regard or not).

I don't think what I've written is dissimilar to what David Shaw has said on the subject of NIL deals generally: Stanford coach has questions about Tide QB's NIL deals

Reactions: volsfan_17

3 hours!?!?

Every In-N-Out I’ve ever been to was just like Chik-fil-a.

Really long lines that move fast because the place operates incredibly efficient. (Likely due to the fact they pay well)

Reactions: walkenvol

VN Store

Back