PRE-FALLCAMP 2021 Preview

JRtheYoung

michaeljr3
* This is all personal opinion* If you disagree, comment your thoughts and where I was wrong. I'm looking for healthy dialogue, not debate. I've done a lot of research, but I make mistakes. Now here we go:

There's ONE huge reason I'm excited about this season more than those in the past years. WE DON'T HAVE JARRET GUARANTANO! Now I'm not blaming all our flaws on him, but we all knew he was an issue and we continued to let him play when we knew he wasn't our solution instead of letting Bailey or Mauer receive reps.

QB: Milton, Bailey, Hooker, and Mauer seem to be the realistic options with Bailey and Milton leading the way. No more irritation at QB, I feel we have a fresh slate of talent to finally have stability at QB this year. NOT saying we will be great there, but it won't be a problem to hold us back. I give the edge to Bailey personally but we will have to see with camp. Grade: 3.5/5

RB: We are hurt with Chandler and Gray leaving, but we added Tiyon Evans, Small returns, Dee Beckwith returns, and maybe Tee Hodge gets touches. We are sneaky talented but lack experience so they better learn fast or we will be one-dimensional. We have the chance to be a solid group/deep backfield, or we have a chance for no one to be a shining light and be below average. Look for Small to be that hidden gem though. Grade: 3/5

WRs: WR's aren't scrubs...... but we arent deep. Velus Jones, Jalin Hyatt, Ramal Keyton, Cedric Tillman, Jimmy Holiday, Jimmy Calloway, and Anderson Coby look to be the known names. Granted most of these names don't spark too much buzz because we haven't seen them step up as WR's 1 or do much on the field period. Will we even have a #1? Who will it be? Those are questions awaiting camp, we have talent but will that translate on the field. Look for Hyatt and Jones to be the primaries though. Grade: 3.5/5

OL: 2 starters return, Darnell Wright and Cade Mays, but underperformed last year. Can we be TVA? Doubtful, highly doubtful, but I believe we will be better than last year statically with an easier schedule and if mobile QB is behind them or we get the ball out fast, it will hide a lot of issues. BUT, I still think we will be average to above average in the SEC, we have talent: Mays brothers, Wright, Spraggins, Calbert, Carvin, and Davis could all put out an above-average OL. Will it translate to the field though? I say it does.... but not so much to be a top-line in the SEC. Look for Mays to have a bounce-back year as his draft stock is in jeopardy and his brother joining him adding chemistry to that line. Grade: 4/5

DL: Simmons, Butler, Solomon, Thomas, Baron, Bumphus, Tremplay... Now are these scrubs? No, but are they world beaters, Absolutely not. They are a solid group who is honestly the strength of our defense and take that how you may. Personally, I am not a believer in this line as I don't see it being anything but average at best. Look for a decent run stop, but a below-average pass rush. Grade: 3/5 a low 3.

LB: We all know who we lost, let's not name them. With all of their departures, we added Juwan Mitchell from UT jr and Willam Muhan from Michigan. Other than that we have Jeremy Banks as the only notable name. Look for the transfers to help but this group to be the liability of this defense. Grade: 2/5
DB: We lost Bryce Thompson so who fills his void? We return a lot fortunately with starting experience, but that starting experience doesn't mean it was great playing starting experience. I believe this secondary can be really good if everyone lives up to their potential, but Flowers need to step up his ball skills and McCollough needs to add speed or play with great instincts. CB we have Taylor and Burrell, Turnage, and George who will battle for starts. Lock Taylor but the rest is on camp. Look for this secondary to be sneaky good. I believe we will surprise a lot of people, and be positive on this side of the ball. Grade: 4/5

S/T: Brooks will be solid averaging 43.6 per punt last year. Transfer kicker McGrath is hard to tell. You can never tell with kickers. He has hit 32-of-42 field goals, with a long of 52 yards, and 118-of-119 PATs in his career so take that how you will. PR'ing was an issue last year ranking 64th nationally, so hopefully, we can only improve?? Grade: 3/5

Overall: 5-7 record with a 3.25/5 rating. I'll go game by game:
Bowling Green: W --- Pitt: L --- TN Tech: W --- Florida: L --- Missouri: W --- SC: L ---- Ole Miss: L --- Bama: L --- Kentucky: L --- Georgia: L --- South Bama: W --- Vandy: W

I say we win 5 games, with a coin flip for the South Carolina game so maybe 6. Call me pessimistic but I don't see us beating Ole miss's high-powered offense, Florida Georgia Bama is just too far ahead of us right now. Kentucky is a really solid team this year and well-coached, and I know it's a rivalry but let's not be biased and naive to say they don't have the better team right now. If you want to argue Pitt by all means, but they're on the same level Kentucky if not better in my opinion.

If Heupel only wins 5 games with this roster against this schedule then get ready for another contentious coaching change in 3 years. You have UT losing at home to a mediocre at best ACC team. The best comparison I can make to their style of play... is Pruitt's. You have UT losing to a less talented USCe team with less talent and also with a new coach?

UK is the "romantic" pick these days but I'll have to see them lose 10 guys to the NFL and then "reload" before believing they can. That is 10 spots in their two deep where it is very likely an inferior player will replace the guy who is gone.

If Heupel only wins 5 games with this roster against this schedule then get ready for another contentious coaching change in 3 years. You have UT losing at home to a mediocre at best ACC team. The best comparison I can make to their style of play... is Pruitt's. You have UT losing to a less talented USCe team with less talent and also with a new coach?

UK is the "romantic" pick these days but I'll have to see them lose 10 guys to the NFL and then "reload" before believing they can. That is 10 spots in their two deep where it is very likely an inferior player will replace the guy who is gone.
I’ll give you SC I just don’t see us beating them personally and we have a new HC as well….. As for Pitt and KY I think they are clearly a better team right now. Hope I’m wrong though,

Nice post op. Well researched.

QBs ; I mean how can we get worse? lol

RBs; I think we are pretty deep and this position is the easiest to plug and play. They really only learn new blocking schemes. Running the football is running the football imo. So I think we will impress.

WRs; how can we know with JG the past few years? Also, I wonder who will fit the system the best. We need possession guys and deep guys and I think we have a few answers at those in Jones, Hiatt, and J. Payton. We have a few guys who could shine in Tillman and Keyton as they have had a few years yo grow at the collegiate level.

I'm worried about DL having a decent rotation . I know we will be more fast paced and the defense is going to be on the field more, we need a good rotation.

The LB issue can be masked if we play a lot of Nickle coverage, which is pretty typical against modern offenses. Just might need some run stopping safety play if we only play 2 lb, but it may be best.

DBs; I think we have some guys back there that can play, just got to coach up the bodies.

I think we go 7-5. Beat BG, Pitt, TN tech, SC, South Alabama, Candy. Chance at Kentucky and Mizzou, but major upset chance for Ole Miss as a dream Scenario. it is at home after all 😁

I’ll give you SC I just don’t see us beating them personally and we have a new HC as well….. As for Pitt and KY I think they are clearly a better team right now. Hope I’m wrong though,

I don't think either is better. KY was exposed just as much as we were last season. Outside of C-Rod they don't have a lot of talent at the ball handling positions.
SCAR has a new Coaches everywhere and their defense was awful last season, especially the back 7. Game is at Neyland. Their QB is among the worst in SEC. They do have a great RB, maybe 2 but players coming off of ACLs are anything but guaranteed to return to 100% form.
Pitt looked good in ACC last season, so what. They also lost a slew of starters on defense and aren't big point scorers.
Ole Miss had the second worst defense in NCAA last season...and they lost one of their better starters to injury and Ironically 3 starters on defense to the NFL. We just have to win turnover battle and outscore them. Toss up game
FL is almost a toss up and will be if Emory Jones is a bust. They also had a porous defense last season which is supposed to be better this year.

Solid work op. Not sure you mentioned Javonta Payton. I've grown to believe he'll be one of our top 3 WRs. I also believe our skill guys on offense will put up big numbers.

I'm predicting our offensive line will very much improved. Heupel's offensive lines have traditionally set league records for lack of negative plays and sacks given up. I don't think we'll be at that level, but as bad as we've been, I believe the OL and RBs will at least know who to block this year. Heupel also teaches getting rid of the ball quick which cuts down on sack opportunities.

Agree with your assessment of defensive line. Somewhat stout, but in need of consistency getting to the QB. DBs will be above average and LB play will be not good at best.

Last edited:
I look forward to the days that we don't lose 4-6 consecutive games. When October rolls around the losses have been stacking up. May not get past that this year, but winning a couple in that tough stretch would be huge.

I'm looking for healthy dialogue, not debate.

Have you looked into comparison of penalties (esp OL)? IE: how disciplined are JH / Elarbee OL's (in comparison to our recent OL's)?

What about clock mngmt knowledge? JH VS Pruitt (and Jones) ?

What about play calling inside the 10 ? Does JH have a chart, or hopefully not ?

Reactions: onevol74
I would really like to see the coaches move Beckwith to a hybrid TE/WR position, i.e Kyle Pitts. I think he could be a matchup nightmare in the red zone.

Reactions: ETCvol4life
UK is a mature program. Stoops is a good coach and has his development strategies and culture in place. I just don't think they can lose 7 defensive starters with 5 or 6 being NFL caliber and just "reload". I'm not sure who is winning their QB competition right now but I would feel pretty comfortable saying that all 4 of UT's guys are better prospects.

Pitt is a middling ACC team. To put that in perspective, Pitt made the ACC championship game in '18 with a 7-6 record. That's how bad that conference is after Clemson and sometimes one or 2 programs below them. In the last two years, they haven't beaten a team with less than six losses.

I do not know if Heupel is a good coach or the right coach. I do believe that UT has talent and that Pruitt's problems were never a lack of talent but rather his leadership. I'll take my lumps if UT turns out not to be talented. However I am very confident that Pitt would be similar to what Arkansas has been over the past several years if they played in the SEC. My best guess right now is that UT's talent match ups against their D will be a significant advantage and style of play will hurt Pitt like it hurt Pruitt.

Beamer is a great guy and I hope he is successful. But, the transition from position coach to head coach is a heavy lift. And, SC was as bad as us last year.. I think UT is definitely going to be better than SC this year.
Worse... and theirs was reflective of the talent in addition to Muschamp. They are not a talented football team. They're in a really tough spot right now. Muschamp hasn't recruited particularly well and unlike Clemson, USCe has no national or even regional appeal.

Even with the departures, Pruitt left some talent.

If you don’t want a response? Type it on a Word document.

I swap the Mizzou and USC jr W/L but yes 5-7, 6-6, 7-5 all are possible if the ball bounces our way. Anyone that says we're going 10-2 is unrealistic or smoking something.
Unless Heupel just flat out stinks... 5-7 is no more "realistic" than 10-2. UT has issues. They have a lot of inexperience and some of the talent we think is there may turn out not to be not so talented. But you have to take the quality of the competition into account too.

Personally, I think Ole Miss may be in roughly the same win possibility as UF. I think they will improve on D and be very good on O. I don't think UK or Mizzou will be as good as many here seem to think based on roster talent, experience, and depth.... many of the same problems UT has. I honestly think USCe could be looking up at Vandy this year.

VN Store

Back