Texas A&M
Texas
LSU
Oklahoma
Vanderbilt
Kentucky
Tennessee
Miss State

I think the divisionless and podless route is the best way to go. Each team has 3 teams they play every year and the other 6 are rotated.

I would say UTs would be UK, Vandy and Bama. Bamas would be UT, Auburn, LSU. Floridas would be UGA, Auburn(revival of old rivalry and Mullen has whined about playing LSU every year anyways), and South Carolina. Fill in the blanks. Sure it won't be perfect, schools like MSU really only have one main rival in Ole Miss. So they may get paired up with Missouri or something random every year but we already have that with A&M vs South Carolina. So whatever

UT's should be UK, USC jr, Vandy with Vandy the final game.
I'm one of those old fart traditionalists types. When the SEC was busted into divisions, and at that time, we were competitive with Bama, I always thought we'd get to meet them in the SEC championship game and maybe beat them twice in a year. As someone pointed out, that has never happened, which, if you told me in 1992 that 28 years (check my math) would go by and it still hasn't happened, I would thought you'd be crazy. I'm beginning to come around to the thought - the best way to get to play Bama in a championship game is to NOT play them during the season. UK, Vandy and USC jr. They have their ups and downs like we do, but we have a long record of owning them. With the new "floaters" being Texas and Oklahoma - I'd give up Bama at this stage.

I'm sure Saben is looking for a cupcake pod. He can't talk his way out of Auburn, but keep an eye on the other two. He's got clout.

thank your cut and paste commands

This would be the best set up by far. Sankey should send me season tickets to the Vols for putting this together.

East Aub, FL, GA, SC
Central: KY, Mizzou, TN, Vandy
South: bama, LSU, Ole Miss, Miss St
West: Arky, aTm, OK, TX

3 Division Games
3 games with rivals (EX TN: bama from South, FL from East, Arky from West)
3 games with rotating division (non-rivals). Ex TN: Year 1 East (GA, Aub, SC), Year 2 South (LSU, Ole Miss, Miss St), Year 3 West (OK, aTm, TX)

one extra conference game required

Every three years you play all other SEC teams.

1st ranked division winner plays 4th ranked, 2nd vs 3rd. Winners play for SECCG. That's two extra high revenue earning divisional games for conference.

My support or critique of any system means nothing. However.... Any system that has permanent opponents I'm not interested in.

East/West divisions solve all pertinent issues. We, and every other team we compete in the east with plays Bama. Cross divisional rivalries aren't needed. The other pertinent rivalries are either renewed (Aub/UT, TAM/Mizz), or made up ones ended (LSU/Fla, SC/TAM). Divisional split puts most historic teams back together. Playing 10 game SEC schedule balances home/away scheduling, 9 should be the minimum but causing unbalanced scheduling (5 home 4 away the following years 5 away/4 home). Ten game scheduling will also allow players to visit other teams and stadiums in a standard college career. Fans won't have to wait ten years to go back to a cross divisional stadium. Also, OOC scheduling against power 5 would not necessarily be needed, however the other two games should be against FBS opponents. You can challenge yourself or not.

This would be the best set up by far. Sankey should send me season tickets to the Vols for putting this together.

East Aub, FL, GA, SC

3 Division Games
3 games with rotating division (non-rivals). Ex TN: Year 1 East (GA, Aub, SC), Year 2 South (LSU, Ole Miss, Miss St), Year 3 West (OK, aTm, TX)

1st ranked division winner plays 4th ranked, 2nd vs 3rd. Winners play for SECCG. That's two extra high revenue earning divisional games for conference.
I don’t have a huge issue with this, although I’d still prefer just doing away with divisions and have three permanent opponents. But if they do go to pods, there’s no way Tennessee, KY, Vandy, and Mizzou would all be in one together. That’s way too weak of a pod.

East Aub, FL, GA, SC

3 Division Games

I would rather have Auburn as a rival instead of the Gators. I am old school and Auburn was a traditional rival long before Florida even knew what winning football was.

I would rather have Auburn as a rival instead of the Gators. I am old school and Auburn was a traditional rival long before Florida even knew what winning football was.

It could have been any of them (Aub, FL, & GA) except SCAR.

I hope somehow we get Texas as a permanent game. I know it's unlikely but the battle for the real UT could make a great rivalry

Reactions: VOLnMiami

East Aub, FL, GA, SC

3 Division Games

This makes too much sense it will never be done by the powers that be.

Team
Season Ending game
Permanent 2
Permanent 3
Alabama

Auburn
Tennessee
LSU
Arkansas
LSU
Texas
Ole Miss
Auburn
Alabama
Georgia
Ole Miss
Florida
Tennessee
Georgia
South Carolina
Georgia
South Carolina
Auburn
Florida
Kentucky
Vanderbilt
South Carolina
Missouri
LSU
Arkansas
Alabama
Texas A&M
Missouri
Oklahoma
Arkansas
Miss State
Miss State
Ole Miss
Vanderbilt
Missouri
Oklahoma
Missouri
Texas
Texas A&M
Ole Miss
Miss State
Auburn
Kentucky
South Carolina
Georgia
Kentucky
Florida
Tennessee
Florida
Alabama
Vanderbilt
Texas
Texas A&M
Arkansas
Oklahoma
Texas A&M
Texas
LSU
Oklahoma
Vanderbilt
Kentucky
Tennessee
Miss State

Here is my best guess on how the SEC looks around 2025

OK
Texas
A&M
ARK
MIZZOU

BAMA
Auburn
LSU
Ole Miss
Miss St

Clemson
UGA
SC
NC

UK
Vandy
UT
FL
FL ST

16 teams / 2 divisions:
Move Bama and Barners to East
Move Mizzou to West
Add Longhorns and Sooners to West
7 Divisional games every year - play everyone in your division
1 out of division game every year, rotating (no cross division perm rival)
4 OOC games every year
Auburn restored as traditional Vol rival, but does not restore Ole Miss as traditional rival
1 SEC Championship Game (no semi-finals before 20 team conference with 4 divisions)

East:
Bammers
Barners
Gators
Bulldogs (GA)
Gamecocks
Vols
Wildcats
Candy Vandy

West:
Aggies
Razorbacks
LSU Tigers
Longhorns
Mizzou Tigers
Ole Miss
Miss St
Sooners

The original Southern Conference got up to 23 teams before 13 teams spun off to form SEC

Team
Season Ending game
Permanent 2
Permanent 3
Alabama

Auburn
Tennessee
LSU
Arkansas
LSU
Texas
Ole Miss
Auburn
Alabama
Georgia
Ole Miss
Florida
Tennessee
Georgia
South Carolina
Georgia
South Carolina
Auburn
Florida
Kentucky
Vanderbilt
South Carolina
Missouri
LSU
Arkansas
Alabama
Texas A&M
Missouri
Oklahoma
Arkansas
Miss State
Miss State
Ole Miss
Vanderbilt
Missouri
Oklahoma
Missouri
Texas
Texas A&M
Ole Miss
Miss State
Auburn
Kentucky
South Carolina
Georgia
Kentucky
Florida
Tennessee
Florida
Alabama
Vanderbilt
Texas
Texas A&M
Arkansas
Oklahoma
Texas A&M
Texas
LSU
Oklahoma
Vanderbilt
Kentucky
Tennessee
Miss State

This isn't horrible, and seems rather equitable.

All “permanent” opponents need to be evenly waited as possible for each team regardless of historical rivals. It’s idiotic for UT’s to be Alabama, UF, or other consistently good teams while the other teams in the conference room play the Missouri’s, Mississippi States, Arkansas, Vandy’s, Ole Miss, and Kentucky’s of the World. Schedules play a big factor in who wins the division and unbalanced scheduling is a major problem regardless of history.

[QUOTE="HuntlandVolinColo, post: 20031467, member: 41005"

East: FL, GA, SC, Tenn
Central: KY, Bama, Auburn, Vandy
South: Missouri, LSU, Ole Miss, Miss St

16 teams / 2 divisions:
Move Bama and Barners to East
Move Mizzou to West
Add Longhorns and Sooners to West
7 Divisional games every year - play everyone in your division
1 out of division game every year, rotating (no cross division perm rival)
4 OOC games every year
Auburn restored as traditional Vol rival, but does not restore Ole Miss as traditional rival
1 SEC Championship Game (no semi-finals before 20 team conference with 4 divisions)

East:
Bammers
Barners
Gators
Bulldogs (GA)
Gamecocks
Vols
Wildcats
Candy Vandy

West:
Aggies
Razorbacks
LSU Tigers
Longhorns
Mizzou Tigers
Ole Miss
Miss St
Sooners
Play your side + 2 from other side + 3 OOC

Permanent cross division rivals needs to end.

It has created a significant disadvantage for us. We play the hardest team in the country while UGA and Florida play much weaker (hot/cold) teams. So winning the East has been way more difficult for us than them.

We are already facing a mountain to climb just to be competitive again. No need to build in another yearly loss.

Reactions: landscapingvol
[QUOTE="HuntlandVolinColo, post: 20031467, member: 41005"

East: FL, GA, SC, Tenn
Central: KY, Bama, Auburn, Vandy
South: Missouri, LSU, Ole Miss, Miss St

On what planet does it make sense for UT to have two good teams in its division, for Bama to have one, LSU to have zero, and Arkansas to have three?

All “permanent” opponents need to be evenly waited as possible for each team regardless of historical rivals. It’s idiotic for UT’s to be Alabama, UF, or other consistently good teams while the other teams in the conference room play the Missouri’s, Mississippi States, Arkansas, Vandy’s, Ole Miss, and Kentucky’s of the World. Schedules play a big factor in who wins the division and unbalanced scheduling is a major problem regardless of history.

Everyone in the east has to play UGA and UF. Every team in the west has to play Bama. It's really not that unfair. TBH Tennessee wouldn't be any better off right now if we didn't play Bama every year when we lose to the likes of UK, Candy and other crappy teams.

VN Store

Back