Your Coach Heupel’s First Season Expectations?

Progress. Players wanting to play for each other. Efficient offense with flashes of being elite on that side of the ball. Immediate improved QB play.
Defense needs to be ok. We could have 5 stars across the board on D but with our offense it will put them at a disadvantage.

My year one expectations for this team...

1. Play hard-nosed, disciplined football from start to finish. If we lose because of a difference in talent, so be it. But win OR lose, I want us to play hard and disciplined.

2. Can we please boat race the teams we're supposed to boat race? I'm so sick and tired of constantly being in dogfights with the likes of UAB and Akron. Let's end these games by halftime and allow our backups to get some playing time.

3. Find a QB solution pretty quickly. I think in an offense like this one, it's important to find QB1 early on because reps are vital. Heupel needs to identify who his guy is soon and just ride with him. I don't want to go into the Florida game still wondering which QB is going to step up.

4. We need to win our share of toss up games. ESPN predicts there are 5 games we should win and 4 that are toss ups. We need to get at least half of those toss up games.

5. Be aggressive (be, be aggressive). This is not the time to play timid. If we are going to lose, I'd rather see us lose while getting after teams and being aggressive. I don't want to sit on leads. I don't want us to be conservative and play not to lose. I want us to go for the jugular every game, regardless if it's Bowling Green or Alabama.

Honestly, for me, I want to see hustle to the ball. Even if it is five yards down the field. Just to display that they are honestly trying!

Reactions: MAD
Expectations and hopes are two different things, of course. I'll separate them out in my reply:

Expectations:
(1) speed. incorporating his signature tempo into our offense.
(2) offensive prolifigacy. Like, 50+ point games as often as not.
(3) strong team bonds, chemistry, cohesiveness, throughout the season, through thick and thin.

Hopes:
(4) defensive competence. Defense has always been the Achilles' heel of high-scoring offense-minded head coaches. Hoping Heupel breaks that trend.
(5) no gimmicky feel. Some successful G5 coaches get to the next level and realize that the caliber of opposing coaches has gone up so much, their gimmicks aren't winning them games any more. What worked against most G5 coaches gets sniffed out and countered at P5. Hoping Heupel avoids this trap. It'll take his whole coaching staff being up to the challenge.
(6) and, of course, Ws. Tons of Ws. ESPN says our realistic range of possibilities is between 5-7 and 9-3. I'd like to see us hit 9-3. We need to start winning most of the toss-up games if we're going to compete for titles. Then we have to start winning games we have no business winning. But first, we need to master the toss-ups. 8-4 or 9-3 would show Heup can do that.

Go Vols!

Reactions: FïreBall and MAD
I’d like to see that high powered offense keeping us in games against the big three.

I’d also like to see us blow out the bottom feeders.

Go 7-5 and win the bowl game (assuming we’re not on a ban).

And most importantly land some five star recruits.

Reactions: 'Boro-vol and MAD
Kidding. Win the games we have the talent to win. Be competitive in the games we are outmatched. See our guys having fun playing football and working as a team. Having each other’s backs and getting better every week. Growth.

Attachments

• 2677970C-3BDF-4B3B-92D6-DC8D1A55D0E3.jpeg
    2677970C-3BDF-4B3B-92D6-DC8D1A55D0E3.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2

VN Store

Back