Vols 'Rush Defense' = Fools gold?

Stephen69

We've seen this years Vol Rush defense described as 'elite'. Given the competition and the fact that Pitt beat the Vols through the air, is this a justified description? Further, if you look at Pitt's loss to Western Michigan, you'll see that they didn't run well against them, either.

How does Vol Nation expect the Tennessee run defense to fair against an SEC offense?

Reactions: Jaws and PEPPERJAX
We've seen this years Vol Rush defense described as 'elite'. Given the competition and the fact that Pitt beat the Vols through the air, is this a justified description? Further, if you look at Pitt's loss to Western Michigan, you'll see that they didn't run well against them, either.

How does Vol Nation expect the Tennessee run defense to fair against an SEC offense?
Pitt's rush offense is crap and has been known to be poor for some time. The big takeaway about our early rush defense is that the defense is organized and tackling is generally good, but we won't know whether they're elite until they're tested.

I think the run defense is ok but not elite. Problem is we only have one legit pass rusher in Tyler Baron. We need more pressure from someone else on the D LINE. If we don’t see that UF will just pick us apart. PITT QB had a lot of time to throw against our D Line.

My biggest take away is that the defense as a whole has been in the right places at the right times to make plays. Haven't seen any pre-snap confusion and they seem to play with a lot of energy. May not have the horses yet but at least running in the same direction. Also, they have stopped/contained more slants in 3 games than all of Pruitt's tenure

They’ll be tested from every spot on defense. We’ll know how the rest of the season will go based on how well we play defense and how we hold up throughout the game.

Reactions: krichunaka
What are you talking about!? These guys are the iron sledge hammer. Impenetrable and painful if approached. Florida will gain zero rushing yards the entire time our offense is on the field.

I have a five syllable word up there that all you spelling Nazis can check out if you’d like.

Which one?

UF's? Probably not great.... but UF may have the best rushing offense in the country.

Mizzou? UK? USCe? Very good. Possibly good enough to give UT a great opportunity to win all three games.

I think the run defense is ok but not elite. Problem is we only have one legit pass rusher in Tyler Baron. We need more pressure from someone else on the D LINE. If we don’t see that UF will just pick us apart. PITT QB had a lot of time to throw against our D Line.
Pass rush may not be there but I say we commit to stopping the run. FL QB already has 5 int's on the season, stats aren't overly impressive. I would much rather make them beat us through the air than on the ground, I can live with that scenario. Also, the more times FL has to put the ball in the air, more opportunities for our DB's.

Who said they are "elite?"

There it is! This is laughable. This article is essentially all about Florida. He touches on the UT defense in the 3rd to last paragraph. I don't think anyone in the country would describe UT's run defense as elite at this point in the season. If they can keep this up by the end of October, sure, but after 3 non conference games one against an FCS school? Come on. This seems like he is just trying to build up Florida. Look, Florida is going to run all over this UT defense, IMO, and now it's going to look that much better because some noob from Saturday Down South called it "elite?" Right...

Reactions: VFL28
Given that Alabama held FL to, I believe it was around 256 yds total rushing. If TN can keep them under 200yds, is that a win for our defense? Will defense garner more respect, given they don't throw for +300 yds?

The run defense is decent, but not anywhere near “elite” level. The article is obviously written by Florida Gator fans hyping themselves up so that when they inevitably beat us, they can brag. Whatever, screw UF and it’s fans.

VN Store

Back