How long has it been?

realmenwearorange

I have been a huge Tennessee fan since attending my first game in the early 1970's. Growing up, I was always excited in anticipation of Saturday afternoons. By the late 80's and 90's , I would get almost giddy in anticipation of big games. I will admit in recent years Saturdays have been met with a sense of dread wondering just how bad will we get beat or what new low will our program sink to. I am super pumped for the game this Saturday. I haven't been this excited probably since The Alabama game in 2016. Tennessee had gone to Alabama the year before and almost pulled off the upset. I really thought we might be ready to pull an upset at home in 2016 but in typical Butch Jones fashion they laid a giant egg and was blown out. Since that game I just haven't gotten too pumped up just to be let down. But this week has been different, I am super excited and really hoping we finally have a coach who is ready for these big games. So my question is, how long has it been for you that you "all in" and pumped for a big game thinking we are going to finally get a big win?

Still not sure I am there yet myself. Been burned too many times over the past 15 years thinking we had finally “turned the corner” only to get smashed back down to earth. Most recently was that eight game win streak Baldar cobbled together. That said, I do feel more optimistic than I have in a long time. But it remains cautious optimism. I think we know after this four game stretch though. The signs are promising. It just is going to take awhile before I can let my guard fully down.

i still think a 7-6 or 8-5 season after everything that's happened over the past 4 seasons will be a huge success. It'll be something huge to build off of.

I am reserving my excitement, we have been down this road before and then the wheels came off (Butch 2017). I am looking forward to being in Neyland tomorrow night and hope to see the Vols compete hard, would love to see them win, but my thoughts are 50/50 on that front. Kiffin will have a few tricks up his sleeve and if he can, will run the score up on our depleted squad.

I have been a huge Tennessee fan since attending my first game in the early 1970's. Growing up, I was always excited in anticipation of Saturday afternoons. By the late 80's and 90's , I would get almost giddy in anticipation of big games. I will admit in recent years Saturdays have been met with a sense of dread wondering just how bad will we get beat or what new low will our program sink to. I am super pumped for the game this Saturday. I haven't been this excited probably since The Alabama game in 2016. Tennessee had gone to Alabama the year before and almost pulled off the upset. I really thought we might be ready to pull an upset at home in 2016 but in typical Butch Jones fashion they laid a giant egg and was blown out. Since that game I just haven't gotten too pumped up just to be let down. But this week has been different, I am super excited and really hoping we finally have a coach who is ready for these big games. So my question is, how long has it been for you that you "all in" and pumped for a big game thinking we are going to finally get a big win?

Like many of my fellow Vol Fans, there is a level of excitement and some unknowns. Injuries have me wondering how close are we at 100%? will the younger players step up? can our receivers separate? will the OL keep Hooker's jersey clean and open holes for our RBs. I've liked this defense all year, they fight until the end and I think our defense is better than Ol' Miss. So, UT will either play like they did against SC or it will be a close game with 4th quarter big plays. UT 45 Miss 38

BTW: The crowd will have to be that 12th Man.

For me it was the week before when we lost to Texas A&M in double overtime, that game broke my spirit.

Call me crazy but I've remained pumped up and believing we had a chance every Saturday. Have never removed my orange colored glasses but do have to admit the view is a little more orange this year. GBO!

I'll admit I tend to be a pessimistic person. That and my persistent BVS (I'm pretty sure we made a deal with the devil in 1998) tells me we're about to get blown out in a major way tomorrow, and it won't even be close. We've just been let down too many times, and a win here, against a ranked opponent, a hated coach, on the eve of potentially something great, would just be too perfect. In other words, it's something that would never happen to Tennessee.

This has nothing to do with my opinion of Heupel and the players, who have all performed admirably so far and deserve support.

I will be watching and hope to God I'm wrong.

Reactions: wrharvey21
'15 and '16 had some weeks where the atmosphere was super charged. But in general those years, there was an underlying sense that it wasn't all quite real. The wins, even the big ones, felt somehow brittle. And of course, we found out by the end of each season, that was right.

I don't have that underlying sense, this year. I feel as good about the Vols going forward as I've felt since, probably, the Fulmer years. Unbridled, that's the right word. Unbridled enthusiasm and confidence--not necessarily that we'll win every game or even the next game, but that we're on the right path. On our way to winning championships in the not too distant future.

Go Vols!

I may be wrong, Lord knows I have many times before, but I sense a air of personal confidence about JH. He is comfortable in who he is (unlike Jones and Pruitt) and not cocky for no reason (Like Precious). Long term I think that translates to the team. They have confidence in the program and thus themselves. Jones teams, even when they were superior, often played tight as hell. That came from him and his insecurity. Pruitt's teams didnt give a crap and it showed.

I've been Big Orange 27/7/365 for almost 65 years. I've always been that person who believes any game is winnable otherwise why play. However, to be honest, it was Alabama 2016 that caused me to doubt that every game was winnable and well, Georgia 2017. . . Dooley tested me and Butch broke me. There were those signs in 2019 when UT beat two ranked teams (Auburn and Kentucky) and ultimately had an 8-game win streak but I was still wait and see until the 10-game SEC schedule was played in 2020. The wheels feel off in 2020 and my faith sank to a record low with all the shenanigans. I went into this season liking what I saw and heard but I put myself firmly in that "wait and see" category. I have to admit, I have been pleasantly surprised since it has been so long since I actually have seen coaching going on during the game. I can't say I am back to believing every game is winnable yet. I haven't felt like I feel right now for a first year coach since Kiffin. So, it would be poetic justice for to see UT beat ol' Lane. Certainly I believe tomorrow's game is winnable. GBO! Beat Ole Miss!!

Reactions: walkenvol
I’ve been suffering from a moderate to severe case of BVS (Battered Vol Syndrome) for a number of years. It was at its worse last year.
I have gotten some relief from the worst symptoms the past few weeks.

Reactions: CornDontGrow
For me it was the week before when we lost to Texas A&M in double overtime, that game broke my spirit.

I went to the 2016 Alabama game but knew it would be a slaughter. The team had already dissolved with Hurd not wanting to play at GA and being left at home to A&M. The program was on thin ice the entire season. It finally completely fell apart vs Scarolina of all teams......

Reactions: MAD
2016. Ducks can't pull trucks.

I was really pumped for that game, but not as excited as I am for this one. This team, this coach, this staff, this AD and this season ..are different. It's a different excitement that I've not experienced since I guess 2009.

giphy (5).gif

Still not sure I am there yet myself. Been burned too many times over the past 15 years thinking we had finally “turned the corner” only to get smashed back down to earth. Most recently was that eight game win streak Baldar cobbled together. That said, I do feel more optimistic than I have in a long time. But it remains cautious optimism. I think we know after this four game stretch, though. The signs are promising. It just is going to take awhile before I can let my guard fully down.
True, but this current offense is light years ahead, and regardless if they win 6 or 8, it is something to be excited about because they always give you a chance. The last BS staff barely broke 20 pts avg a game for the three years straight.

True, but this current offense is light years ahead, and regardless if they win 6 or 8, it is something to be excited about because they always give you a chance. The last BS staff barely broke 20 pts avg a game for the three years straight.
And it is also consistent. Even when we were beating Georgia and Florida with Butch, the offense was either lights out or dead as an opossum on I-75. Stable consistency is encouraging and probably speaks to excellent teaching and mentoring

Reactions: EODVOL
Heupel’s already playing with house money as far as I’m concerned. It’s sad my expectations are that low, but they are. With Vandy and South Alabama still on the schedule, we’ve pretty much locked up a bowl already. I’m stunned we look this good and actually have a shot in this game. Even if we lose, we still have a bye before a shot at knocking UK down a notch.

Reactions: VolDave53

VN Store

Back