WR departures/recruiting

BruinVol

JH’s use of receivers is unlike most programs. Yes the big 3 put up prolific numbers but the short rotation usage brings up two questions.

1) with the portal being so easy now do WRs like Hyatt, Holliday, and Calloway move on to greener grass???

2) does this make it harder or easier to recruit the position??

JH’s use of receivers is unlike most programs. Yes the big 3 put up prolific numbers but the short rotation usage brings up two questions.

1) with the portal being so easy now do WRs like Hyatt, Holliday, and Calloway move on to greener grass???

Those 3 might be starters next year, so I don’t know why they’d leave.

I really hope we can keep Hyatt and possibly bring his brother in to play with him. He hasn’t really received the playing time that he probably thought he would get so hopefully he puts his head down and keeps working. I think Calloway is in the dog house after some early drops not sure what’s going on there. I don’t see Holiday leaving.

I think they have the idea that they'll be one of the big three next year. I think WR recruits will salivate to play in this offense.

Those 3 might be starters next year, so I don’t know why they’d leave.

maybe but Hyatt is the only one that even sniffed PT the last half of the year. Just not an ideal rotation for keeping the backups engaged.

hell I was thinking today during the game abijt the freshmen WR that caught some balls early In the year. Maybe we played him only 4 games to RS home but I don’t even recall his name

Reactions: LittleVol
maybe but Hyatt is the only one that even sniffed PT the last half of the year. Just not an ideal rotation for keeping the backups engaged.

hell I was thinking today during the game abijt the freshmen WR that caught some balls early In the year. Maybe we played him only 4 games to RS home but I don’t even recall his name
Keaton got some PT with Payton sidelined with that injury.

They used a 5 man rotation all year, Keyton and Hyatt were 4 and 5. Losing 2 of the starters opens up spots for JH and JC...we will see what happens.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
I can’t call that a 5 man rotation. I call what we saw 3 guys playing 90% or more of the snaps as a unit
Think about it. They averaged short time on the field and got lots of rest while the defense was on the field. So the starters were always rested when they hit the field.

Reactions: VOLnBama01
giphy.gif

I think you see a short rotation because the tempo calls for no substitutions. I think Heupel is willing to go 5-6 deep in a normal rotation if the talent calls for it. I think Cam Miller can step into the slot role. I like Squirrel White and Hyatt in the Payton role. Keyton shouldn’t be anything more than a backup possession receiver.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
Heupel used a much greater rotation at UCF. I think this year had a lot more to do with trust. The younger guys got opportunities early in the season and squandered those opportunities. If they put in the work this off season, they will put up numbers next season.

This. They tried to work Calloway in early, but after his big 4th down drop in Gainesville, he didn’t play much. Hyatt dropped a lot of passes too, but still had the 3rd most receptions on the team. Walker Merrill was also getting worked in early, but faded.

I don’t think it was that Heupel didn’t want to play more guys, it’s that he didn’t trust them to catch the damn ball. I hope they figure it out, because they’ll need to replace Velus and Payton next year. And Keyton is too slow.

Heupel used a much greater rotation at UCF. I think this year had a lot more to do with trust. The younger guys got opportunities early in the season and squandered those opportunities. If they put in the work this off season, they will put up numbers next season.

Interesting info. Thanks

Reactions: bigl3327
I thought it was rumored that Calloway has attitude issues and could be sent packing

You coming back onboard now that CJH has shown what he can do?

I’m optimistic about things but all along I have felt this season would be his best roster of the first 3-4 years. Maybe the transfer portal makes me wrong on that but I still am far from sold he’s going to stabilize this program BUT the guy says all the right things. I love how he’s handled things so far. A+ from me on that. He’s a genuine guy for sure

VN Store

Back