A View from Big Ben: Vanderbilt

London Vol

Thank you for the thread “Come on London Vol” I forgot there was a game on last night, I think I must have overeaten on Thanksgiving (hope the whole of Volnation had a lovely time). Does anybody know the score?

Only Joking (put that one down to English humor). I was there with you guys all the way and in many ways I thought it was quite a low key as well as a revealing evening (I know the game kicked off at 3:45pm but add on 5 hours and it finished at midnight here). I actually thought our performance was a bit lethargic at times as well as a bit disjointed and then we hit the accelerator pedal (stop it David, am I becoming spoilt by this regime? to the point where I am becoming judgmental on what was basically a blow out win), I never thought for a minute before and during the game that we might lose last night, did you? It is very revealing that in the matter of only 12 matches, my expectations of Josh Heupel and his merry men are that the lower echelons of the SEC East are now only a small upgrade from a “cupcake” game, long may this continue. One final point is, if we do not get off a fast start, because it surely won’t happen every match, can we win via other ways and last night, despite the Offense pretty well stalling in the first half, the Defense showed we can.

BEFORE THE GAME
Perhaps the biggest win last night was actually before the game. As it was Senior’s night Hendon Hooker and Cedric Tillman DID NOT did not participate in the ceremony. Is this an indication (no guarantee) that they might come back next year? To appreciate this, I ask you to shut your eyes....... it’s now September 3 2022 with Ball State as the opponents and Hooker runs for the 1st snap, now shut your eyes again......... and imagine Milton running out, yes, that’s exactly my point.

QUARTERBACKS
For once we didn’t really get the passing game going, for example only 51 yards passing in the 1st half. Although Hookers final figures were fine it should be noted that in 157 yards passing, 114 yards were YAC. However, he did run for 75 yards which was one of his best this season, so no overall complaint here. I must say Joe Milton, despite not even throwing the ball once, managed to create a talking point. I wish anyone well in an Orange and White uniform but boy he just seems so accident/careless prone.

RUNNING BACKS
The stars of the show this week were the Running Backs as they ran for 285 yards at 6.8 yards a “pop”. I do feel for Jabari Small; he now has over 500 yards at 5.1 y.p.c this season. yet Evans stole the headlines in his fleeting appearances earlier this season and now for the second week running, Jaylen Wright was at least his equal. The fact is both Small and Wright have been success stories this year and are set for big years next season. I wish you well Evans although I am baffled by your decision to enter the Portal.

WIDE RECEIVERS
Another week, another 100-yard performance from Tillman, as mentioned already if he comes back next season then it’s gonna be fun. I’m sorry that Velus Jones only had three throws come his way (he has been a major factor why this season has gone so well) but it wasn’t a great night for the passing game and there are only so many sweets to hand out. He did though have AGAIN a great Punt Return.

TIGHT ENDS

Same as the Wide Receivers, a quiet night for these boys although Fant rumbled for a 23 yarder. As always, they do a lot of unselfish blocking which often goes unnoticed.

OFFENSIVE LINE
A very good night for the Offensive Line. Hooker was rarely under pressure and there were some great running lanes for Small and Wright. Cooper Mays and Jerome Carvin practically stood out for me and Carvin was another who he did not participate in Senior’s night. Sorry for Cade Mays not being able to suit up for his final game at the Neyland. Thank you for returning home you are definitely a VFL.

DEFENSIVE LINE
This 1st half was mighty impressive by the Defensive Line and except for the Hail Mary on the last play (was there really one second left on the clock?) they won the game by half time. Things were a bit patchy 2nd half but Vanderbilt only ran for 2.7 y.p.c. overall so it was a good day. Omari Thomas is growing up game by game and it looks like Matthew Butler could “pass the flame” to him for next season. Roman Harrison showed again what a stout tackler he is. I wonder if a move to Linebacker next year might be beneficial for both parties.

LINEBACKERS

Jeremy Banks is actually looking like he is becoming an Elite Linebacker and will be another who could have a big 2022 season. I thought he incurred a really unfair late hit penalty (not always been the case this season). Arron Beasley had a much better game, I am pleased for him because his commitment is total although sometimes he has been a weak link.

DEFENSIVE BACKS
Yet again the star man in the DBs was Alontae Taylor. In fact, he was pretty well faultless to the point where the ball rarely came his way and Warren Burrell was picked on instead. Theo Jackson had another big game and is finishing the season strongly, I hope this results in a good draft pick for him he deserves it. Talking of Burrell, he had a torrid 1st half which followed on from last week’s performance, however he bounced back with a strong 2nd half including 3 Break Ups. So well done young man for fighting though adversity, we will need you next season.

ITS BOWLING TIME IN TENNESSEE

I always enjoy your comments and observations

GO VOLS

Another insightful & entertaining crumpet from LV. I was in Knoxville for the game with our son, & you're right: I actually thought our performance was a bit lethargic at times as well as a bit disjointed. It appeared that the quality of the opponent & the Senior Night festivities were distracting to some; that, combined with Vandy playing over their heads with a good game plan (nothing new in this series) made for a competitive contest. Thankful to be back home in Nashville & awaiting a bowl selection.:cool:

Thank you for the thread “Come on London Vol” I forgot there was a game on last night, I think I must have overeaten on Thanksgiving (hope the whole of Volnation had a lovely time). Does anybody know the score?

Only Joking (put that one down to English humor). I was there with you guys all the way and in many ways I thought it was quite a low key as well as a revealing evening (I know the game kicked off at 3:45pm but add on 5 hours and it finished at midnight here). I actually thought our performance was a bit lethargic at times as well as a bit disjointed and then we hit the accelerator pedal (stop it David, am I becoming spoilt by this regime? to the point where I am becoming judgmental on what was basically a blow out win), I never thought for a minute before and during the game that we might lose last night, did you? It is very revealing that in the matter of only 12 matches, my expectations of Josh Heupel and his merry men are that the lower echelons of the SEC East are now only a small upgrade from a “cupcake” game, long may this continue. One final point is, if we do not get off a fast start, because it surely won’t happen every match, can we win via other ways and last night, despite the Offense pretty well stalling in the first half, the Defense showed we can.

BEFORE THE GAME
Perhaps the biggest win last night was actually before the game. As it was Senior’s night Hendon Hooker and Cedric Tillman DID NOT did not participate in the ceremony. Is this an indication (no guarantee) that they might come back next year? To appreciate this, I ask you to shut your eyes....... it’s now September 3 2022 with Ball State as the opponents and Hooker runs for the 1st snap, now shut your eyes again......... and imagine Milton running out, yes, that’s exactly my point.

QUARTERBACKS
For once we didn’t really get the passing game going, for example only 51 yards passing in the 1st half. Although Hookers final figures were fine it should be noted that in 157 yards passing, 114 yards were YAC. However, he did run for 75 yards which was one of his best this season, so no overall complaint here. I must say Joe Milton, despite not even throwing the ball once, managed to create a talking point. I wish anyone well in an Orange and White uniform but boy he just seems so accident/careless prone.

RUNNING BACKS
The stars of the show this week were the Running Backs as they ran for 285 yards at 6.8 yards a “pop”. I do feel for Jabari Small; he now has over 500 yards at 5.1 y.p.c this season. yet Evans stole the headlines in his fleeting appearances earlier this season and now for the second week running, Jaylen Wright was at least his equal. The fact is both Small and Wright have been success stories this year and are set for big years next season. I wish you well Evans although I am baffled by your decision to enter the Portal.

WIDE RECEIVERS
Another week, another 100-yard performance from Tillman, as mentioned already if he comes back next season then it’s gonna be fun. I’m sorry that Velus Jones only had three throws come his way (he has been a major factor why this season has gone so well) but it wasn’t a great night for the passing game and there are only so many sweets to hand out. He did though have AGAIN a great Punt Return.

TIGHT ENDS

Same as the Wide Receivers, a quiet night for these boys although Fant rumbled for a 23 yarder. As always, they do a lot of unselfish blocking which often goes unnoticed.

OFFENSIVE LINE
A very good night for the Offensive Line. Hooker was rarely under pressure and there were some great running lanes for Small and Wright. Cooper Mays and Jerome Carvin practically stood out for me and Carvin was another who he did not participate in Senior’s night. Sorry for Cade Mays not being able to suit up for his final game at the Neyland. Thank you for returning home you are definitely a VFL.

DEFENSIVE LINE
This 1st half was mighty impressive by the Defensive Line and except for the Hail Mary on the last play (was there really one second left on the clock?) they won the game by half time. Things were a bit patchy 2nd half but Vanderbilt only ran for 2.7 y.p.c. overall so it was a good day. Omari Thomas is growing up game by game and it looks like Matthew Butler could “pass the flame” to him for next season. Roman Harrison showed again what a stout tackler he is. I wonder if a move to Linebacker next year might be beneficial for both parties.

LINEBACKERS

Jeremy Banks is actually looking like he is becoming an Elite Linebacker and will be another who could have a big 2022 season. I thought he incurred a really unfair late hit penalty (not always been the case this season). Arron Beasley had a much better game, I am pleased for him because his commitment is total although sometimes he has been a weak link.

DEFENSIVE BACKS
Yet again the star man in the DBs was Alontae Taylor. In fact, he was pretty well faultless to the point where the ball rarely came his way and Warren Burrell was picked on instead. Theo Jackson had another big game and is finishing the season strongly, I hope this results in a good draft pick for him he deserves it. Talking of Burrell, he had a torrid 1st half which followed on from last week’s performance, however he bounced back with a strong 2nd half including 3 Break Ups. So well done young man for fighting though adversity, we will need you next season.

GO VOLS
Thanks for the post you bloke.

I agree I think the Sr. night activities might have been a distraction. The team knew they could "Sleep Walk" through the game and still win.

Reactions: OneManGang

BEFORE THE GAME

QUARTERBACKS

RUNNING BACKS

WIDE RECEIVERS

TIGHT ENDS

OFFENSIVE LINE

DEFENSIVE LINE

LINEBACKERS

DEFENSIVE BACKS

GO VOLS

Best summation of the season!!
Opening paragraph was well stated and to the point (as usual).
Thanks for an insightful set of posts this year that were never too excitable or gloomy. Just to the point.

Thanks as always for your weekly contribution London Vol.

The burning questions remains. If you had to choose, would it be attending a game against an SEC top tier opponent at Neyland Stadium or attending a highly rated post season Bowl Game?

Thanks as always for your weekly contribution London Vol.

The burning questions remains. If you had to choose, would it be attending a game against an SEC top tier opponent at Neyland Stadium or attending a highly rated post season Bowl Game?
NEYLAND big time, preferably when we are checkered out and whipping Georgia, I also want to sing Rocky Top until I’m horse.

Nice post and reflection of the game, LondonVol. Like another poster noted in another thread, I believe we were doing what it took to win without getting very physical and hurt. Still won by what ... 24 points? Now lets go beat up on some poor team in a bowl game and finish strong!

Crazy how one of the best most solid posters on this forum is across the ocean. Love these threads every week.

I'll say my biggest concern for 22 is the secondary. Need help asap

VN Store

Back