Sara Puckett's interview after VT game. Wow!

lvocd

I don't think I've ever witnessed a better post-gamer by a freshman. It's easy to see how this team is able to come together at crunch time with selfless, all-in players like this making up the roster. Kellie really is doing an excellent job bringing in the kind of players who genuinely want to do their best for each other.

I don't think I've ever witnessed a better post-gamer by a freshman. It's easy to see how this team is able to come together at crunch time with selfless, all-in players like this making up the roster. Kellie really is doing an excellent job bringing in the kind of players who genuinely want to do their best for each other.

She's another superstar that will start scoring 30 point.

She's another superstar that will start scoring 30 point.

I'm not sure if Sara has the footspeed to get that many points on the board, but she definitely has the ability to be a consistent 10-14-point scorer with the occasional 15-20-point game, and that would be absolutely AWESOME. Her physical strength and her court smarts will, as we've already seen, make up for some of what she lacks in quickness, so I'm excited about her future.

I have to say, though, that she did show us a nifty spinning drop step move with some quickness underneath for a bucket early on. That was a deceptively quick move. :D

I'm not sure if Sara has the footspeed to get that many points on the board, but she definitely has the ability to be a consistent 10-14-point scorer with the occasional 15-20-point game, and that would be absolutely AWESOME. Her physical strength and her court smarts will, as we've already seen, make up for some of what she lacks in quickness, so I'm excited about her future.

I have to say, though, that she did show us a nifty spinning drop step move with some quickness underneath for a bucket early on. That was a deceptively quick move. :D
Yes, you have to be exceptionally quick to have any kind of success......like Larry Bird.

Yes, you have to be exceptionally quick to have any kind of success......like Larry Bird.

Oh, I think she’s ALREADY successful. To me, any player who is capable of regularly putting up 10-15 points is successful, and any player who can often put up 30 is phenomenally successful — and a rarity.

I certainly HOPE Sara will eventually become the Lady Vols version of Larry Bird, but even Chamique Holdsclaw and Candace Parker found weren’t regularly putting up Larry Bird numbers.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK

Every player has good skills and not so good skills . She is not a speed demon nor a lightning quick player . But she is 6’2” and built sturdy for a closer to the goal game ! She can stretch the defense because you cannot let her shoot the three ball either ….,, How do you guard someone who can shoot outside and muscle you around the goal .., These are good attributes, JMO.

DEFENSIVELY: she cannot stay in front of a quick guard but appears to be able to be effective guarding a three or four position. She’s a freshman…,,, just let that sink in ! She will get better, and we all are going to enjoy watching her improve. 👍

I’m not sure how, but I am gathering some folks have misunderstood me to think I’ve suggested Sara isn’t a very good player for us. That’s not the case, though. I’m EXTREMELY impressed by Sara Puckett, as ANYone whom I believe capable of averaging double figures is impressive as hell to me, regardless of class.

I don’t want anyone to think I was putting her down for not being a really quick player. But it’s rare for players to put up 30, regardless of the level of quickness or experience.

I’m over-the-moon happy with Sara! Kellie and staff have brought in exactly the type of young women who have, IMO, in a very short time already brought the program back to being one that is turning heads again. And that is a fact.

Every player has good skills and not so good skills . She is not a speed demon nor a lightning quick player . But she is 6’2” and built sturdy for a closer to the goal game ! She can stretch the defense because you cannot let her shoot the three ball either ….,, How do you guard someone who can shoot outside and muscle you around the goal .., These are good attributes, JMO.

DEFENSIVELY: she cannot stay in front of a quick guard but appears to be able to be effective guarding a three or four position. She’s a freshman…,,, just let that sink in ! She will get better, and we all are going to enjoy watching her improve. 👍

As a freshmen the best thing physically speaking is she will get older and stronger as her muscles take on a more mature form. Then some of her lack of quickness will disappear.

Not many 6'2 forwards can stay in front of quick guards,not should they be asked to..

One of the neatest things about Sara’s play, and there are many, including that she shows improvement in each game, is that she is able and willing to make big shots at crunch time in the close games. Hopefully she will shoot more often, as she can make shots from anywhere on the floor.

and the fourth quarter showed that "not many forwards" can guard her when Coach ran "all of the plays she had to get the ball to her""

in close she is strong and as Key stated she doesn't bring the ball down when she rebounds - not many recent LVs have been able to do that.

yet another way to analyze her skills - if you were an opposition coach how would you defend her?

I think she will be able to improve her strength and conditioning to the degree she will become a very good player for the Lady Vols. Look for a big jump in her performance after the off-season program.

in close she is strong and as Key stated she doesn't bring the ball down when she rebounds - not many recent LVs have been able to do that.

I believe Tamari was talking about Karoline Striplin, but the point still applies to Puckett, too.

The 2021 freshman class of Wynn, Striplin, Miles, and Puckett are going to be very solid contributors.

VN Store

Back