Kellie and BOTO Club

Smallvol#1

MarchMatters
Just got back from hearing Kellie speak at the BOT and am so impressed. Her presence has grown so much since three years ago, and she expresses herself so well. We’ve been LV supporters for decades, even prior Kellie Jolly, so of course we are inclined to wear orange colored glasses, but now I feel I could jump on that ship to the moon if she said that was what we were going to do. To hear her describe her team, to listen to her explain expectations, to be amazed at what she considers important, all this makes me proud of her and what the program (Pat🧡) has produced. She is not just a winner; she is a class act - with attitude and grit. She is not and never will be Pat, but wow! Pat would be so proud of her. I wish everyone could listen to Kellie talk. If you get a chance at any time, go hear her; I truly think you will be impressed. She’s not just going to do it; she’s going to do it the right way. She’s not perfect; she says so, but I think VolNation and its Ladies have landed on our feet. I am so hyped!!

Just got back from hearing Kellie speak at the BOT and am so impressed. Her presence has grown so much since three years ago, and she expresses herself so well. We’ve been LV supporters for decades, even prior Kellie Jolly, so of course we are inclined to wear orange colored glasses, but now I feel I could jump on that ship to the moon if she said that was what we were going to do. To hear her describe her team, to listen to her explain expectations, to be amazed at what she considers important, all this makes me proud of her and what the program (Pat🧡) has produced. She is not just a winner; she is a class act - with attitude and grit. She is not and never will be Pat, but wow! Pat would be so proud of her. I wish everyone could listen to Kellie talk. If you get a chance at any time, go hear her; I truly think you will be impressed. She’s not just going to do it; she’s going to do it the right way. She’s not perfect; she says so, but I think VolNation and its Ladies have landed on our feet. I am so hyped!!
Sometimes I listen to her press conferences while I'm doing something else, and she sounds so much like Pat. Their voices sound so much alike. I guess it's the southern accent.

She has my full support as well.
As does her staff

Did she say who will replace green?....and how big of a hit is this?...thanks in advance...I just heard about the ACL tear and don't keep up with lady vols like football but I'm getn there!

Obviously Emily and Karoline will be used, but she is approaching in via the ‘Pat Way’ (My words, not hers, but I remember when…). Each person step up her game just a little, 2 more baskets per game from one person, 1 more rebound from another; she said Keyan was averaging 7 points and 5 rebounds/game (I think) and it was not a case of one person doing it all. It was a team effort. And she stressed Tamari watching her fouls; she said Tamari and Coach Joy were studying film even as Kellie spoke to determine ways to have fewer fouls. Kellie does emit a confident and sensible air; I can see why the girls trust her.

Thanks for sharing! I so wish I could have gone. Hope to meet Kellie someday. Never got the chance with Pat 🧡

Reactions: Smallvol#1
Obviously Emily and Karoline will be used, but she is approaching in via the ‘Pat Way’ (My words, not hers, but I remember when…). Each person step up her game just a little, 2 more baskets per game from one person, 1 more rebound from another; she said Keyan was averaging 7 points and 5 rebounds/game (I think) and it was not a case of one person doing it all. It was a team effort. And she stressed Tamari watching her fouls; she said Tamari and Coach Joy were studying film even as Kellie spoke to determine ways to have fewer fouls. Kellie does emit a confident and sensible air; I can see why the girls trust her.

Interesting, thanks for the summary. Glad you had fun!

Awesome thanks for the update!!

Sometimes I listen to her press conferences while I'm doing something else, and she sounds so much like Pat. Their voices sound so much alike. I guess it's the southern accent.

There are a lot of resemblances. I think Kellie has taken a lot from CPS in terms of demeanor and she has deeply internalized the Summitt way. I don't mean to imply she is not her own person but you can see who here role model has been. And you can't do much better than Pat Summitt when it comes to role models.

I will go one more. I think Kellie's connection to CPS is a reason why she may well have been the ideal hire as LVs coach. I will venture that coaching success is not just about "the coach" but the fit between coach and program. Now, let's consider Kellie's less successful tenure at NCST. Her problems can be traced to inexperience (her first power 5 job) but she was also walking into a program with its own legacy and legend in Kay Yow. In that setting, Kellie's "capital" from having played under CPS, wining championship with CPS and her ability to channel CPS values (which maybe was not so refined back then) likely had less impact and even credibilty in a school that its own tradition and iconic coach. Now at Tennessee, players realize that they are part of THIS tradition of which Kellie is the direct connection (essentially the daughter Pat never had), Her stories, experiences, the motivational talks all have more potency in the LV program. Now she can run on this legacy forever. in the next few years, the KJH LVs need to establish their own legacy but in this ascendant period, her connections to Pat and her status as LV great is one heck of resource to have along with her own coaching skills and knowledge.

Last edited:
There are a lot of resemblances. I think Kellie has taken a lot from CPS in terms of demeanor and she has deeply internalized the Summitt way. I don't mean to imply she is not her own person but you can see who here role model has been. And you can't do much better than Pat Summitt when it comes to role models.

but she was also walking into a program with its own legacy and legend in Sylvia Hatchell.
Kay Yow. Hatchell was at UNC and was legendary only for handing down WBB's tackiest wardrobe to Lil Kim M.

Yep...Cheatham & White counties, y'all.
Actually, Cheatham is western middle TN while White is the beginning of the Cumberland Plateau and east Tennessee. Flat, agricultural "southern redneck" vs the beginning of Appalachia. Having lived near both, they're very different. Even the accent is slightly different but probably only discernable to us TN lifers.

Guess I'm just a grouch but I'm getting tired of the endless Pat comparisons. It's obvious and by now getting a little lazy. 20 yrs later, KJH so deserves her own identity. I hope we're working toward that end, IMO the program needs it.

There is not the strong matter of fact tone and the "I am tell you" delivery when Kellie speaks as their was with Pat. When Pat spoke you listened like it or not. With Kellie, at this time it's more like "thank you for asking and I hope you like and understand my response". (she may outgrow this with more success) With Pat though, you got a polite answer, but most of the time it was "OK here is your answer as I see it. Like it or not this is the way I see it. Just take it or leave it. NEXT".

Kay Yow. Hatchell was at UNC and was legendary only for handing down WBB's tackiest wardrobe to Lil Kim M.

Actually, Cheatham is western middle TN while White is the beginning of the Cumberland Plateau and east Tennessee. Flat, agricultural "southern redneck" vs the beginning of Appalachia. Having lived near both, they're very different. Even the accent is slightly different but probably only discernable to us TN lifers.

Guess I'm just a grouch but I'm getting tired of the endless Pat comparisons. It's obvious and by now getting a little lazy. 20 yrs later, KJH so deserves her own identity. I hope we're working toward that end, IMO the program needs it.

YEP! ;)

For sure, Kellie is not Pat 2.0 but the comparison is legit because Kellie so often and so readily invokes the memory of Pat in her public appearances and her interactions with the team. She has stated quite clearly that she wants to re-establish the team culture that Pat had fostered. We can go further that Pat's leadership style drew from her personal inspiration and influences so we are talking about a leadership orientation rather than something tied to any one individual.

For sure, Kellie is not Pat 2.0 but the comparison is legit because Kellie so often and so readily invokes the memory of Pat in her public appearances and her interactions with the team
We'll have to agree to disagree bc I don't see Pat in Kellie's coaching style, especially her interactions with the team. I've never once seen KJH aggressively get in the face of a player during a game a la Pat; in fact, she's been criticized here (before she started winning all the time) for not sufficiently expressing displeasure w players when they make in game mistakes. I'd faint if KJH ever grabbed a jersey. Of course the times are different, but I don't think Pat was quite as chummy in the locker room. That was Holly's job.

Not saying either style is better or worse they're just different.

Sometimes I feel a little sorry that Kellie is, and probably will always be, compared to Pat, but Kellie knew this when she came to Tennessee to be our Coach. She is that strong. Kellie has always been a high achiever, in everything. I believe her Dad was her role model, and obviously Pat was a strong influence in her life, and Kellie will keep Pat’s legacy alive. She told about how when Pat came to watch her in her high school game, that everyone in the gym knew Pat was there, but she really didn’t, because she was so focused on playing her game. THAT is some impressive focus, and in a high school kid.

Kellie majored in math in college, takes some brains to do that. Add that to her love of basketball, her work ethic, her focus, and she makes a formidable opponent as a basketball player or Coach. The fact that she is caring, decent, a wonderful communicator, and it’s just icing on the cake.

Kellie is one of only two Coaches to have taken four different teams to the NCAA Tournament, and she’s already been honored as a Coach of the Year.

She’s Ours, and I love it, and her! We are so lucky to have her. GO KELLIE!

GO LADY VOLS!!!

Last edited:
I believe her Dad was her role model, and obviously Pat was a strong influence in her life, and Kellie will keep Pat’s legacy alive.
I said the other day I wish they'd ask KJH about her dad, Coach Ken Jolly. Of course that would take a tad of research and not be the 3 yr old obvious question so probably won't happen. But it is a nice story. I'm sure her deepest regret is that Ken is not here to enjoy this.

VN Store

Back