Staying Humble

Vols2015

So, TN lost to the last placed team in the SEC, and one that saw breakdowns in scoring offensively, defensively, turnovers, etc. I hope these ladies get reminded to stay humble in each game, and know that any and every team they face will bring their best game. Any lapses in their game will be exposed and taken advantage from a very hungry team like an Auburn. I hope these next few days this loss eats at our Lady Vols and entices their hunger for a victory. We cannot lose anymore game to stay on pace with SC. Don’t let this one game define you as a team!

A well timed loss can be a great benefit to a team if they respond correctly. This was never going to be an undefeated type team in any event. We will see what the Lady Vols are made of over the next two or three games. Go Orange!

So, TN lost to the last placed team in the SEC, and one that saw breakdowns in scoring offensively, defensively, turnovers, etc. I hope these ladies get reminded to stay humble in each game, and know that any and every team they face will bring their best game. Any lapses in their game will be exposed and taken advantage from a very hungry team like an Auburn. I hope these next few days this loss eats at our Lady Vols and entices their hunger for a victory. We cannot lose anymore game to stay on pace with SC. Don’t let this one game define you as a team!
You can practically see the Pat Summit "how could you lose this game" glare peeking through the roof.

You can practically see the Pat Summit "how could you lose this game" glare peeking through the roof.
I don't think Pat would say anything except time to get better. She lost some questionable games herself, but always had what it took to make the comeback and rectify the situation. The only time I know she didn't was when we lost to Ball State in the NCAA Tourney. Yet the next season we were back winning games again because losses happen to the best coaches and home team underdogs are where that happens quite a bit of the time.

Reactions: Nute Gunray
I do remember Kellie saying that the only time she ever saw Pat cry was when she came out of the locker room and caught Pat standing by herself after a tough loss. Kellie said Pat wasn't crying for herself...it was on behalf of her players.

I think Kellie leans more to that side. The players have said that she pushes them every day but knows when to pull back.

I do remember Kellie saying that the only time she ever saw Pat cry was when she came out of the locker room and caught Pat standing by herself after a tough loss. Kellie said Pat wasn't crying for herself...it was on behalf of her players.

I think Kellie leans more to that side. The players have said that she pushes them every day but knows when to pull back.
It looked to me like Kellie may have had her own bout of hallway sobs before that post game presser…

Exactly, you are spot on. Tough loss, but that has been the norm this season with a lot of very good teams losing to, well, teams they should not lose to. What the younger LV fans must learn, and what the older LV fans already know from following the team when Pat was coaching, is that being in the top 5 in the country means that you have a target on your back. It doesn't matter if you are playing Auburn or SC, you will always get their "Best Shot". You have a very good team, but the same focus that the team has when playing, say UConn, you must have with the cellar dwellers of the country. Yes, we were in a bad conference, but that didn't mean that any of those teams could not just jump up and bite us in the ass at any time. It's tough to get to the top, but tougher to stay there. The team just has to learn from this and move on. You can still get to where you want to go this year, because the road will not be easy for anyone.

Not a team I recognized last night very low energy going through the motions of playing a game. It happens to every team sometimes during a season. We need to come back strong next Monday.
I think Monday night we will see the real LVs. The Hawgs may just get a Tennessee beatdown. Let's go get'em.

Last edited:
Reactions: travis929
I think Monday night we will see the real LVs. The Hangs may just get a Tennessee beatdown. Let's go get'em.

I saw on the LV Facebook page a quote from Horston saying that she feels sorry for the next team that Tennessee faces, because they won't be losing again. I hope she doesn't regret those words because Arkansas is playing lights out right now and this game is by no means a given.

I saw on the LV Facebook page a quote from Horston saying that she feels sorry for the next team that Tennessee faces, because they won't be losing again.

eye-roll-ugh.gif

I saw on the LV Facebook page a quote from Horston saying that she feels sorry for the next team that Tennessee faces, because they won't be losing again. I hope she doesn't regret those words because Arkansas is playing lights out right now and this game is by no means a given.
I’m glad she said those words, makes me feel better knowing their mindset is upbeat and positive.

I’m glad she said those words, makes me feel better knowing their mindset is upbeat and positive.
That's great. She also provided bulletin board material for a team playing really well at the moment. Can you imagine another team being dismissive of Tennessee that same way? You probably wouldn't be as encouraging to them.

You say that in front of your teammates to fire them up, not in public. If you win, bring up your motivational speech then. Because if you're wrong, no amount of seasoning will make that crow taste good.

That's great. She also provided bulletin board material for a team playing really well at the moment. Can you imagine another team being dismissive of Tennessee that same way? You probably wouldn't be as encouraging to them.

You say that in front of your teammates to fire them up, not in public. If you win, bring up your motivational speech then. Because if you're wrong, no amount of seasoning will make that crow taste good.
You have a point, but I imagine Ark. is already pumped, and I’m glad to know Horston sounds determined to win.

Oh God, the lectures are coming in from Storrs, that’s two now…..
I don't like being "lectured" by fans from other teams either. The irony here is YOU'RE a fan of another team complaining about yet other team's fans !
You consistently post, in what appears to be, an obvious effort to sow even more discontent between the fan bases.
While I have nothing against giving uconn fans hell on this board, it should be done by LV fans and not some interloper.

Reactions: Rickster
I don't like being "lectured" by fans from other teams either. The irony here is YOU'RE a fan of another team complaining about yet other team's fans !
You consistently post, in what appears to be, an obvious effort to sow even more discontent between the fan bases.
While I have nothing against giving uconn fans hell on this board, it should be done by LV fans and not some interloper.
Oh, I have no axe to grind with Uconn fans, just ineedorange, who came on this board with one objective of cozying up to the UT fans by declaring war on South Carolina, which he knew was blatant but did so anyway. The UT fans don’t need me or anyone else to sniff out the real instigators.

Overall Kellie has the team playing well, but the turnovers are a continuing problem for her teams. Very unlikely to make final 4 with about 20 or more turnovers, which is what they often have in their games. She really needs to get this cleaned up for this team to perform its best.

I kind of wondered when we would have a game like this during the Vandy game a week or so ago. We were blowing Vandy out and let them back in the game in the 2nd half. You can’t do that in this league when everyone is gunning for you.

I'm sorry if you think I was lecturing, not my intention. Just trying to give support to the younger fans who haven't experienced the true winning tradition that is Tennessee. My message was just to forget the loss and do not take anyone lightly going forward. There are lots of fans from many programs, including Tennessee, posting on the Boneyard. As long as they are respectful, we value their outside opinions. Just trying to have a serious conversation with respectful, knowledgeable fans.

Reactions: mcannon1 and glv98
Overall Kellie has the team playing well, but the turnovers are a continuing problem for her teams. Very unlikely to make final 4 with about 20 or more turnovers, which is what they often have in their games. She really needs to get this cleaned up for this team to perform its best.

The best argument,,,Auburn won with 9 turnovers

Besides turnovers, obviously our other big problem now is keeping Key in the game, both literally and when she is actually playing. How do we make that happen? Why is she so foul prone, and don't even start with bc the refs all hate us. Do other high profile posts such as Boston have this problem? Doesn't seem like it. Why is it and how do we fix it?

The problem was so up in Key's head it was painful to watch. She'd hold her hands straight up and then look at the refs as if "See?" Or she'd draw her hands back really quickly if she reached as though she just touched a hot stove. Worst of all, Key reverses the old saying about not letting bad offense affect defense. In her case, defensive fear of fouls seems to affect her offensive involvement. Case in point her quick 5 points and then virtually nothing. How we gonna fix this, bc its "Key" for us now without an effective back up.

Not having any answer, I say just go ahead and play balls to the wall until the foul that makes you stop. Get what you can while you can. Try to be careful without being tentative. Thats all I got.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

Um we beat them at their place already. That's all the reason they need to want to beat us. Her saying those words did nothing at all. They already want to pay us back. Lady Vols just get ready to play!

VN Store

Back