‘23 MS S Isaac Smith

After picking up a scholarship offer from Tennessee a little more than a month ago, Isaac Smith took his first visit to check out the Vols during their junior day this past weekend. The Top247 defensive back from Mississippi now plans to consider using one of his official visits to return to Tennessee. From the atmosphere at the basketball game against Arkansas to his interactions with Tennessee’s coaches, Smith saw plenty of positives from his time in Knoxville.

The 6-foot, 200-pound Smith, who is rated a four-star prospect and ranked the No. 223 overall player, No. 17 safety and No. 3 prospect in Mississippi, received an offer from the Vols in late January coming off his junior season at Itawamba Agricultural High School in Fulton, Miss.

He visited Mississippi State in January and has scholarship offers from Georgia, Notre Dame, Michigan, Texas A&M, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Arkansas and Michigan State, among others, but this past weekend was his first chance to see Tennessee up close.

“It’s my first time visiting Tennessee or even coming to Knoxville, period,” Smith said. “I really enjoyed it. I think I’m going to use one of my officials for here.”

Smith, a two-play standout who also plays running back and wide receiver, said he “hit it off good” with Tennessee head coach Josh Heupel, secondary coach Willie Martinez, running backs coach Jerry Mack and defensive graduate assistant Tyson Kee.

One of the highlights, though, was attending Tennessee’s basketball game against Arkansas.

“The fan base at the basketball game was live,” Smith said. “It was really good. I love how the coaches interact with us and how everything’s looking. It just felt good.”

Smith, whose father David played linebacker at Ole Miss, said his next visit could be LSU, but also plans on taking trips to Georgia, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, Mississippi State and Duke.

He plans on committing before his senior season and enrolling early at the program he chooses.

“I’ve heard a lot about Tennessee, how it is,” Smith said, “and it really stood up to what it’s said to be.”
-Brown

“Verified at 6-foot and 200-pounds, possesses an ideal frame for the strong safety position and growth potential to add additional weight to his frame. Three-phase player, displays good athleticism in all three phases. Four-sport athlete.

“Strong frame and physique at 200-pounds plus, shows the ability to play the deep hash at the safety position but will more than likely play closer to the line of scrimmage at the next level with his ability as a run support defender and blitzer off the edge. Flashes some man to man pass coverage ability, has a good feel for the short to intermediate part of the field. Shows the ability to match up with bigger bodied receivers and tight ends. Appears to demonstrate above average ball skills and ball production. Physical presence at the point of attack, will strike you. Excels playing downhill. Plays with very little wasted motion and compensates for adequate speed with instincts. Has some box ability as a potential roll-down safety.

“Projects to the strong safety position at the next level that could see some time in sub-packages. Plays with excellent instincts and physicality and will add immediate contributions on special teams. Projects to an above average multi-year starter at a Power Five program.”
-Brown

Sorry, where did you see this?
You posted it in April. Guess technically said recruiting him the hardest but with a general statement like that and nothing else I would assume that’s a top 3 for him. Haven’t seen anything else mentioned. Any visits scheduled besides UT, uga, tamu?

You posted it in April. Guess technically said recruiting him the hardest but with a general statement like that and nothing else I would assume that’s a top 3 for him. Haven’t seen anything else mentioned. Any visits scheduled besides UT, uga, tamu?
Wow. So it's a 100% fabricated statement. You should work for the federal government.

Reactions: Allstate

At this point he’s only taken a Vandy OV

Reactions: Orange.
Vandy is in the mix here. It's Ole Miss but he has a crystal ball there. Haven't really kept up with his recruitment but I would count those 2 in the mix so his so called top 3 not having either one of those is quesionable

Alrighty my b guys don’t take me out back and shoot me. Misinterpreted the post.

Still think we’re in his top group. *throws hands up on defense of incoming rotten tomatoes”

My sense is that we're in his top group but not vice versa...
One report that the Vols had reduced contact with him......I took that to mean that the Vols are where they want to be in regard to safties and are backing off of him.

VN Store

Back