Proposed new SEC schedule, who does UT get?

secking

Two proposals being discussed for future SEC schedules seems to be down to 2. First, is a 7+1, everyone receives 7 random games plus one permanent rival game. Second, is 6+3, you receive 3 permanent rival games.

7+1, who would you want as the permanent rival/who do you think should be the permanent rival?

Does the SEC preserve the 3rd Sat of October, the Iron Bowl, or the Deep South’s Oldest Rivalry? If one or three happens, TN would draw Bama. Likely to me would be AU/UA and TN/KY or TN/Vandy, OM/MSU, LSU/A&M, OU/TX, UF/GA, AR/MO and maybe SC vs Vandy/KY.

6+3, this allows 3 rivals to continue plus you would play everyone in the conference every two years. This model also allows more money in tv negotiations. Who would you want as your 3?

The 7+1 model is absolutely terrible. If it happens, which seems like a tossup at this point, Tennessee will be paired with Vanderbilt. That being said, missing out on annual TSIO, Florida/LSU, DSOR, TSIS and other rivalries is a true travesty.

If the SEC goes 6+3, I would assume that Tennessee gets Alabama, Vanderbilt and then either Florida or (more likely, unfortunately), Kentucky.

I would like to see permanent rivals kept at a minimum, preferably zero. Each game in a college football season is so important. It's not fair if our rival is Alabama and someone else's is Ole Miss. I do think the SEC should go to 9 conference games. That's what most Power 5 conferences are doing

Two proposals being discussed for future SEC schedules seems to be down to 2. First, is a 7+1, everyone receives 7 random games plus one permanent rival game. Second, is 6+3, you receive 3 permanent rival games.

7+1, who would you want as the permanent rival/who do you think should be the permanent rival?

Does the SEC preserve the 3rd Sat of October, the Iron Bowl, or the Deep South’s Oldest Rivalry? If one or three happens, TN would draw Bama. Likely to me would be AU/UA and TN/KY or TN/Vandy, OM/MSU, LSU/A&M, OU/TX, UF/GA, AR/MO and maybe SC vs Vandy/KY.

6+3, this allows 3 rivals to continue plus you would play everyone in the conference every two years. This model also allows more money in tv negotiations. Who would you want as your 3?

If for certain between those 2 choices and nothing else, I'd go with 6-3 with Bama, Vandy, and Kentucky as our permanents.

No permanent rivalries. It's just dumb and needs to go away with SEC expansion. There's no way to choose between the possible options and no way to be fair. Whoever has to play Alabama (or Georgia rn) has an almost guaranteed loss every year while whoever plays Vandy has almost a guaranteed win? Just switch it up and everyone plays everyone the same and we'll get to them all eventually.

No permanent rivalries. It's just dumb and needs to go away with SEC expansion. There's no way to choose between the possible options and no way to be fair. Whoever has to play Alabama (or Georgia rn) has an almost guaranteed loss every year while whoever plays Vandy has almost a guaranteed win? Just switch it up and everyone plays everyone the same and we'll get to them all eventually.
100% agree, but if I had to choose 1, Vandy. I love beating them every year and would gladly take the +1 it gives us on our SEC record.

I’m for winning, whatever it takes.

This. If anything, it makes the games more special since they AREN'T every year.

Reactions: sjt18
I prefer the 4 pod method.
If we get 7+1 we will get Vandy, I cannot see us not playing an instate "rival" every season.
6+ 3 I would rather Vandy, Bama, FL.

Reactions: 901 Orange
The 7+1 model is absolutely terrible. If it happens, which seems like a tossup at this point, Tennessee will be paired with Vanderbilt. That being said, missing out on annual TSIO, Florida/LSU, DSOR, TSIS and other rivalries is a true travesty.

If the SEC goes 6+3, I would assume that Tennessee gets Alabama, Vanderbilt and then either Florida or (more likely, unfortunately), Kentucky.

I want Alabama, Florida and Georgia as the 6-3 opponents.

I would like to see permanent rivals kept at a minimum, preferably zero. Each game in a college football season is so important. It's not fair if our rival is Alabama and someone else's is Ole Miss. I do think the SEC should go to 9 conference games. That's what most Power 5 conferences are doing
Or you could just beat them. At some point you have to beat them if you going anywhere important. That goes for all teams, not just us. Bama & TN are the 2 winningest SEC programs of all time. I think the overall history means much more than just the last 15 years.

I kind of liked the idea of an SEC playoff that was floated out there for the top 8 teams in the conference. It would be something new and exciting. We would’ve been included in that and matched up against Ole Miss in the 1st round.

Or you could just beat them. At some point you have to beat them if you going anywhere important. That goes for all teams, not just us. Bama & TN are the 2 winningest SEC programs of all time. I think the overall history means much more than just the last 15 years.
I think UGA has passed us in conference wins but I agree, back before there were divisions everybody had different rivals, and ours included Bama, we did fine.

VN Store

Back