What Can You Tell Me About The Vol Army?

CAPTAIN--VOL CAVALRY

I keep hearing about the vol army, and I do have a faint recollection of something of the sort, but maybe I've just dreamed it or something.

When was it?

What was it?

What did they do?

What happened to them?

Is it still around in any fashion?

Thanks for the click and any info

Capt

Perhaps you are thinking of the phrase "all-volunteer Army," which has been used to describe the US Army at various times over the past 50 years, since we got rid of the draft. Other phrases coined to say the same thing have included "volunteer Army," "all-volunteer force," and even the acronym VOLAR.

EDIT: here's an article that describes how the phrase came about. The article was published almost a decade ago.

July marks 40th anniversary of all-volunteer Army

Go Vols!

Last edited:
For someone to come along and tell me about a group of guys that got together 15 or 20 years ago and called themselves the VOL ARMY.

I am certain some folks here remember something about it, it was even mentioned in the Cavalry Formation thread on page 2 by rockydoc.

URL="New Volunteer Cavalry Formation" New Volunteer Cavalry Formation

I was hoping someone who knew anything about it would chime in, verses, well you know, all those that don't.

Capt

Reactions: allen phillips
I keep hearing about the vol army, and I do have a faint recollection of something of the sort, but maybe I've just dreamed it or something.

When was it?

What was it?

What did they do?

What happened to them?

Capt
Google search….What the Army and the university of Tennessee. You’ll find the history very interesting!

For someone to come along and tell me about a group of guys that got together 15 or 20 years ago and called themselves the VOL ARMY.

I am certain some folks here remember something about it, it was even mentioned in the Cavalry Formation thread on page 2 by rockydoc.

URL="New Volunteer Cavalry Formation" New Volunteer Cavalry Formation

I was hoping someone who knew anything about it would chime in, verses, well you know, all those that don't.

Capt
Ah.

This thread suddenly makes more sense.

You refer to this exchange from an earlier thread:

Hope this goes over better than the “Vol Army” several years ago. Those guys with their battle helmets and gear quickly wore thin.
I don't remember this at all. I even googled it to no avail.

Do tell......

So what you're really asking in the original post of this new thread is for RockyDoc (or anyone else who knows) to explain what RockyDoc meant in that earlier post. Right?

Would've made sense from the beginning if instead of creating a new thread, you'd revived that old one. Or even better, asked RockyDoc directly what he meant (again).

I did ask him,(again). I also send him a message, no answer.

Since then a vol fan from florida told me a story about them getting together at a place he was tailgating some time ago. A couple other mentions too, so I asked here.

Look, if you know speak up. If you don't know either say so or stop telling me I am mixed up ard/or breaking some rule by asking here.

It's a simple question, either you know something about it or you don't. If you do, kindly speak up. If you don't.............thanks for the click

Maybe it's like fight club where the first rule of the vol army is to never talk about it?
Maybe it's like a magical tailgate where unicorns schitt skittles out to all the kids and mini bottles to everyone else.
Maybe it's just a bigfoot thing.

Lets listen in........

Since then a vol fan from florida told me a story about them getting together at a place he was tailgating some time ago. A couple other mentions too, so I asked here.

Look, if you know speak up. If you don't know either say so or stop telling me I am mixed up ard/or breaking some rule by asking here.

It's a simple question, either you know something about it or you don't. If you do, kindly speak up. If you don't.............thanks for the click

Maybe it's like fight club where the first rule of the vol army is to never talk about it?
Maybe it's like a magical tailgate where unicorns schitt skittles out to all the kids and mini bottles to everyone else.

Lets listen in........
Scan_20220525.png

Saw them in Atlanta in 2007 SEC championship game. Staying at same hotel as me and had an orange Hummer and UT stuff on it said VolArmy

That was pretty much it. Always felt to me like some guys trying a little too hard to build a brand and sell stuff.
Yup. They used to push their brand on the tailgaters on the parking garage before the games. We weren’t fans of it. Seemed awkward and out of place.

I remember when I was a kid there was an orange tank in Knoxville as a part of the " Vol Army ". Anyone else remember that?

I remember the Vol Army. It was a bunch of guys that had old military vehicles and tried to create some kind of group. This was also around the time of the VB thing that seemed to have just died off for nobody to ever remember. Maybe 10 -15 years ago.

When was it?

What was it?

What did they do?

What happened to them?

Capt

The only Vol Army I know.
orange-is-the-new-black-army.gif

Reactions: Volador

Lets listen in........

If you come in here asking a question, you probably shouldn’t be an ass about it.

If you come in here asking a question, you probably shouldn’t be an ass about it.
I don't think he understood that I was trying to help him find the information he sought by pointing out more productive ways to go about it. Some folks with thin skins think every criticism, even constructive criticism, is a personal attack.

Go Vols!

VN Store

Back