Starting weekend rotation for 2023

MagnoliaVol

I’m sure this has already been covered, and I may have missed it, but who do you guys see as being our 3 weekend guys next year? Dollander, Halverson, and Burns maybe? I couldn’t remember off hand how many new arms we have coming in either.

I’m sure this has already been covered, and I may have missed it, but who do you guys see as being our 3 weekend guys next year? Dollander, Halverson, and Burns maybe? I couldn’t remember off hand how many new arms we have coming in either.

Same as most of this year, Dollander, Burns, Beam

My money is on Dollander, Burns, and Beam. I think Halvorsen will be a bullpen arm until he is rehabed from his injury. Doubt he becomes a starter next year. Only if one of these starters falter, and he shows his arm will hold up to a starter's grind.

My money is on Dollander, Burns, and Beam. I think Halvorsen will be a bullpen arm until he is rehabed from his injury. Doubt he becomes a starter next year. Only if one of these starters falter, and he shows his arm will hold up to a starter's grind.
Good point on Halverson. Wonder if Zander will stick with the mid week role or if we could see him some on the weekends. Not necessarily as a starter, but maybe as a reliever. He looked really good as the mid week guy this year.

Good point on Halverson. Wonder if Zander will stick with the mid week role or if we could see him some on the weekends. Not necessarily as a starter, but maybe as a reliever. He looked really good as the mid week guy this year.

I think - without inside information, just casual observation - it will be difficult for Zander to make it into the weekend rotation or the bullpen unless he improves dramatically. He's a soft tossing lefty, and is redundant to Kirby and maybe one other in front of him. But he is a valuable depth piece in case of injury.

I think - without inside information, just casual observation - it will be difficult for Zander to make it into the weekend rotation or the bullpen unless he improves dramatically. He's a soft tossing lefty, and is redundant to Kirby and maybe one other in front of him. But he is a valuable depth piece in case of injury.
Yes they brought him in against Florida in the championship game and had a rough outing. They didn’t keep him in for very long, but Florida got some hits off of him. I like him in that mid week role myself.

We need one, or two, of the high end guys to be the closer.

Losing Redmond, Swell, Blade, Will M, Mark M, Ben Joyce..........lots of room for more pitching.

I think Zander will be a mid inning weekend guy. Can't throw Kirby every night. Wyatt will also be good help from the left side.

Some of the new guys will be the weekday game pitchers.

Last edited:

Losing Redmond, Swell, Blade, Will M, Mark M, Ben Joyce..........lots of room for more pitching.

I think Zander will be a mid inning weekend guy. Can't throw Kirby every night. Wyatt will also be good help from the left side.

I don’t want to discount him but I don’t see Mabrey going high enough to justify leaving. I get he loses leverage but in a 20 round draft he can’t fall much lower after his SR year so is the slot money that much worse a year later? If he’s in the bottom 1/4, which I would think he is (maybe way off) then he’s either going to improve his stock or be a bottom 1/4 guy again.

Y’all keep forgetting the JUCO pitchers that are committed.

I think this guess is as good as any right now.

I don’t want to discount him but I don’t see Mabrey going high enough to justify leaving. I get he loses leverage but in a 20 round draft he can’t fall much lower after his SR year so is the slot money that much worse a year later? If he’s in the bottom 1/4, which I would think he is (maybe way off) then he’s either going to improve his stock or be a bottom 1/4 guy again.

Same for McLaughlin. He and Mabrey should both be back.

Y’all keep forgetting the JUCO pitchers that are committed.

We’re not forgetting them, but Jucos tend to be a wild card, especially pitchers. You really don’t know what you’re gonna get. It’s likely a couple will have roles, but which ones and how big those roles are remains to be seen. As of right now, I’d project the following:

Weekend Starters

Chase Dollander-RHP
Chase Burns-RHP
Drew Beam-RHP

Midweek Starter

Zander Sechrist-LHP

Bullpen

Will Mabrey-LHP
Mark McLaughlin-RHP
Wyatt Evans-LHP
Dillon Orr-RHP
Hollis Fanning-RHP
Ethan Smith-RHP
Jake Fitzgibbons-LHP

Closer

Kirby Connell-LHP
Seth Halvorsen-RHP

The weekend starters and midweek starter are no-brainers. The question will be how the bullpen shakes out. I projected Orr in there because he’s such a highly thought of freshman. Which Jucos (and other freshmen, like maybe Hunter Sloop?) make the team and contribute, I don’t know, but one or two may replace Smith or Fitzgibbons in their roles…or one or both may develop under FA.

Yeah, as many others have stated, the midweek and weekend rotations will not change next year. It is the biggest certainty headed into a season willed with so much uncertainty since we lose a lot of our lineup. It will be interesting to see how the bullpen shakes out though. We lose a few important pieces.

About Zach Joyce:

Re: our 2023 weekend rotation - I was relieved to read that both Dolly and Burns decided to rest this offseason rather than joining USA Baseball this summer. While it was an honor to receive invitations, I believe the rest will help them both in the long run.

Edited to say: I'm currently prepping on putting together our 2022 MLB Draft and Roster Management thread and am curious to see who declares, stays, and transfers among our pitching staff. I think it's still fluid as to who we have in our bullpen next season.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back