Anyone been to Baton Rouge before?

txvol19

Looking for things to do on Friday/early Saturday. Anything local that’s must-see or do? Also, parking suggestions? I’m aware the last time the Vols visited was 2010, but if someone can recall anything memorable, I’d appreciate it!

I’ve heard traffic is abysmal getting into the stadium - what time should one leave the NOLA area to make it with time to spare and tailgate?

I’ve been before but didn’t have to drive.

Anyone have parking suggestions?

Looking for things to do on Friday/early Saturday. Anything local that’s must-see or do? Also, parking suggestions? I’m aware the last time the Vols visited was 2010, but if someone can recall anything memorable, I’d appreciate it!
One thing I remember from living there decades ago, the best exit off I-10 to get into the stadium is Dalrymple and it's weird cause you can't get back on i-10 going east from this same exit you got off on. You can only go west bound here, so you have to go to I think it's Acadia St before you can find a east bound entrance. Used to see confused drivers asking questions all the time trying to figure how to get back home after a game .

It's been about 6 years since I've been to a game at LSU, but I recall a couple of nice restaurants downtown (on the riverfront). One was a rooftop sushi restaurant if you're into that. If not, it had some really strong drinks and a nice outside patio with a view.

They do their own version of the Vol walk, but doesn't compare. Their 'Golden Girls' are quite nice to look at though...

We are also staying in NOLA. Never been there and would like recommendations there too.

I go there quite a bit for business. Go to Stroube’s downtown and get the crawfish beniets. They are unbelievable.

Reactions: txvol19
Tailgate with LSU fans, they will accept you. They have a great time. I've been a few times.
Confirmed.. everyone from Louisiana loves to show off their culinary skills.. try everything and compliment the cooking and they will keep feeding you lol take something to trade.. Jack Daniels or something from home

I’ve heard traffic is abysmal getting into the stadium - what time should one leave the NOLA area to make it with time to spare and tailgate?

I lived in BR. I’d leave no later than 8am, maybe earlier . It’s an hour to south BR(depending on where in NO you start from) drive but it will slow down considerably getting into BR. I’d get off I-10 at Seigen Lane. Take it west until it turns north into Burbank Dr. Burbank will take you right into LSU & TS

You’ll cross Highland Dr on Seigen before it’s turns into Burbank and you may see signs saying LSU & Tiger Std going that way but it’s congested. I went Burbank went I went to TS years ago. I haven’t lived there in yrs but went to 2000 game. Not much has changed there.

Their band and team comes in the north entrance about 2- hours before the game. Their band pregame show is pretty neat also so I’d get in the stadium at least at 10:30 if you want to see it.

Hope I see you there!

We did Baton Rouge for the "last play with 15 men on the field goal line stand" game under Dools. Stayed in NOLA. Easy drive and a lot more to do in NOLA.

Anyone been to Baton Rouge before?

Yeah...smells like corn dogs...and Momma's feet from Grown Ups

Mike Andserson's seafood restaurant was very good when I lived there decades ago. They made some very good beignets in BR, too. The LSU student union used to serve fantastic gumbo. It's hard to get bad food anywhere in South Louisiana. If you're staying in NOLA, try out the restaurants and bars on the Lakeshore, if they're still there!! Hard to find a bad restaurant in NOLA.

Try eating their cuisine. You can eat BBQ at every school locale.
People are friendly to an extent. Most rabid fans in the SEC. I'm
not talking about cheering for your team rabid either. We got
rocked that Monday Night of the Katrina game. They threw
rocks at us. Get a good room too. Just be prepared is my advice.
It may be the best trip of your football life.

We are also staying in NOLA. Never been there and would like recommendations there too.
A few of our faves:
Creole House. Save room for pecan cobbler!
Lucy's retired surfer bar. Local dive with reasonably priced great bar food.
Willie Mae's Scotch House for fried chicken.
Desi Vega. Best steak I've ever had.
Commander's Palace.
Daisy Dukes. B'fast
Ruby Sleeper. B'fast
Oceania is ok.

We did not like Tujagues or Mister B's Bistro even though both had good stars.

Last edited:
Mike Andserson's seafood restaurant was very good when I lived there decades ago. They made some very good beignets in BR, too. The LSU student union used to serve fantastic gumbo. It's hard to get bad food anywhere in South Louisiana. If you're staying in NOLA, try out the restaurants and bars on the Lakeshore, if they're still there!! Hard to find a bad restaurant in NOLA.
I second the Mike A's suggestion.

VN Store

Back