Terrific Tennessee-Vanderbilt Rivalry Column

Volfan1000

On today's front page of the Knoxville News Sentinel by Tennessee beat writer Adam Sparks who was previously the Vanderbilt beat writer.

The Power "T" in Terrific is the only thing noteworthy here. Typical for the KNS to hire a vandie fellow. :rolleyes:

Vandy was a beast before the Depression. Per Wikipedia:

From 1892–1927, Vanderbilt went 19–2–3 against Tennessee. Tennessee's hiring of Robert Neyland in 1926 reversed completely the on field rivalry. Nathan Dougherty hired him with the explicit goal to "even the score with Vanderbilt."​

In the modern era UT dominated until 2012. Since then, I am sorry to say we have split the series evenly. Let’s hope today is the start of a new lop-sided streak in our favor.

Last edited:
The fact that anyone would actually mention Vandy as our “rival” just shows exactly how bad our loss to USC was.
Watching Ole Miss/Miss State and Fla/Fla State demonstrated how a rivalry game is supposed to be played.
Vandy has not kept their end of the bargain to make it a true rivalry. Back in the day yes, but in the past 50-60 years it’s been one sided.
Tennessee should despise Vandy, and always mop the floor with them…..

Reactions: Ratvol
I do not know how to link but I tell readers of threads that I post in where I found the info so that other posters can share a possible link if they want to.
Literally all you have to do is copy and paste your address bar. If you can figure out how to post on a message board you can figure out how to post a link 🤣

Reactions: StoneColdStunner

VN Store

Back