Most outrageous ref call you've ever seen?

Most outrageous ref call you've ever seen?

• Colorado okay trucks teammate, foul #5 called on Key

Votes: 28 82.4%
  • Gonzaga dribbles off her leg, no backcourt violation called

Votes: 6 17.6%

• Total voters
So many bad calls its hard to pick one. But the 5th foul/nonfoul called on TK is clear proof that refs do have an unconcious big girl bias as we've often suspected. If TK is smaller, there's no way she gets called for a foul on a play she was several feet away from. But if someone falls anywhere near her, she's automatically the prime suspect. That has really added to her struggles, tho TK is far from the only big who gets these bogus calls.

My other worst call of all time which you see in every game is when the offensive player trips herself over the defenders foot and the defense gets called for the foul. Penalized for having your foot on the floor.

Reactions: W.TN.Orange Blood
At the TN-Bama game in Birmingham. (early 70's Streeter game) Sitting behind Bama bench late 3rd Qtr. Punt return by Bama UT player had zeroed in on recover and was clipped in the wide open within a few feet of an official. He reached for his flag which was in his back pocket and seeing the Bear standing right in his line of vision just started to jog down the field. Lack of a call and the resulting results tipped the game to Bama.

So many bad calls its hard to pick one. But the 5th foul/nonfoul called on TK is clear proof that refs do have an unconcious big girl bias as we've often suspected. If TK is smaller, there's no way she gets called for a foul on a play she was several feet away from. But if someone falls anywhere near her, she's automatically the prime suspect. That has really added to her struggles, tho TK is far from the only big who gets these bogus calls.

My other worst call of all time which you see in every game is when the offensive player trips herself over the defenders foot and the defense gets called for the foul. Penalized for having your foot on the floor.
Key gets more fouls called that other players do not get. Some teams climb over back most of time refs let get away with it if player does not hit the floor. Refs should call mvp to benchwarmer same . Call fouls even no matter the team.

Last edited:
Key gets more fouls called that other players do not get. Some teams climb over back most of time refs let get away with it if player does not hit the floor
When you stand flat footed and reach, instead of moving your feet and hustling, you’re going to get the foul call more times than not.

Reactions: ScornedPapaVol
When you stand flat footed and reach, instead of moving your feet and hustling, you’re going to get the foul call more times than not.
Key reach down when keeping her hands up as tall as is would make harder score than the free throwline. Even all balls blocks will get some calls on reaching down . even more if refs are looking to call fouls on a player.

The last 2 minutes of the MCB against UNC. Only game I have ever seen that was actually thrown by corrupt officials.

The NCAA still may beat us up for not knowing about the Pruitt clan's bad deeds... but what will the NCAA do when they and their conferences wake up and find their sacred cows (officials) taking bribes given the huge growth and influence of sports betting. Gambling has always been around, but now it is taking center stage.

On the other hand, the women's bball game is at times unwatchable given its "official" incompetence, maybe bribery can be used to improve it...

Reactions: Voluble2

As I understand it when they reviewed the 5th foul call on TK they were reviewing it to determine if they had called the foul on the correct player. When they reviewed they undoubtedly saw the colorado player had not been fouled by any TN player. But their only options as a result of the review was who to charge the foul to. I bet they even admitted to TKor Kellie that they missed call but it was not a foul they could wipe off the books.

Worst call: Lisa Mattingly shutting her eyes and calling a technical foul on Glory Johnson for bouncing a ball off an opponent to make it go out of bounds.

I think Mattingly was nominated for the Women's Basketball Hall Of Fame. Sure hope she never gets there.

Worst call: Lisa Mattingly shutting her eyes and calling a technical foul on Glory Johnson for bouncing a ball off an opponent to make it go out of bounds.

I think Mattingly was nominated for the Women's Basketball Hall Of Fame. Sure hope she never gets there.
She’s being inducted unfortunately! 😩 I’ll never forget that tech! She had it out for Glory so bad!

Reactions: chuckiepoo
You can only review who to charge the foul to. You can't review whether it was a foul or not unless it's of a flagrant foul concern. Once that foul was called on Key, the hay was in the barn.
I wish they’d explain that to the announcers and they relay that, maybe I wouldn’t be as upset! 😂

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I wish they’d explain that to the announcers and they relay that, maybe I wouldn’t be as upset! 😂
I understand your point but if the announcers were fully competent they would know the rules. All coaches and announcers should be thoroughly familiar with the rule book and the case book which accompanies it . That is part of their job.

Last edited:
The infamous fifth down given to Colorado that allowed them to beat Missouri as time expired and then go on to win a share of the 1990 National Championship.

(FWIW, Tennessee tied Colorado in their game and finished #7/#8 in the final polls).

Last edited:
Reactions: krichunaka

VN Store

Back