Strength of schedule should be only determining factor CFP

Shouldn’t be the only thing in my opinion but a team should get a bonus point for a win against a highly ranked ( top 10?) team but maybe not get a ding for losing to a highly ranked team.
I want to encourage teams to play tough opponents instead of cupcakes.

It reminds me of kids taking hard classes and winding up with a 3.67 in high school and Joe Blow taking easy classes got his 4.0 and valedictorian award. Makes zero sense. Why even have stat if meaningless.

So.............The top 14 teams in the country are all SEC schools, and then rank everyone else 15-131.

Give me a break...........131 teams. All schedules can't be equal.

It reminds me of kids taking hard classes and winding up with a 3.67 in high school and Joe Blow taking easy classes got his 4.0 and valedictorian award. Makes zero sense. Why even have stat if meaningless.
I think your avatar speaks volumes for this situation.

Your avatar is a great response to your posit. Here is how the unhinged would handle this:muschampragin.0.gif

Reactions: feathersax
As Tennessee fans we’ve never had to argue, gripe, moan, or even be remotely concerned about the playoff before.

Things are looking up!!!

Reactions: feathersax

If you rate SOS very high you eliminate 60% of the teams who play in weaker conferences. They don't really have a choice of scheduling the top teams. Everyone in D1 should have a chance to compete for the title. I would agree they need to revamp D1 into 2 groups.

I have it figured out, the committee is not telling us this but they have decided to judge a team by TIME OF POSSESSION rather than who wins or loses. Obviously they have ignored their own guidelines, head to head, sos, how they played common opponents. Really we all know what it really is, BAMA, if everything was just the opposite of the way they are now, they would find an excuse to put BAMA ahead of UT then as well. JMHO

…when has that happened?

If you rate SOS very high you eliminate 60% of the teams who play in weaker conferences. They don't really have a choice of scheduling the top teams. Everyone in D1 should have a chance to compete for the title. I would agree they need to revamp D1 into 2 groups.
No you just force teams who play in **** conference to schedule 2/3 OOC games against real teams. Most SEC teams play 1 good OOC team and then 2 cupcakes. Michigan for example played 3 cupcakes this year and Ohio State played 2 and Notre Dame. If the committee actually rewarded teams that played in tougher conferences then those teams would react and schedule real opponents to make up for their trash conference

Last edited:
Also how many times you lose games late in the season (your supposed to win) and how badly SC beats you.

You act like we are the only team to do that. OSU and now USC did that and both were beat by 22+ points. And if the craziness continues and TCU and UM join the teams "that lose badly to a team they should beat" - then the committee is picking among a lot of teams who met the criteria for elimination that many of you want to impose on the team you supposedly support.

We could be a situation this time tomorrow night where NO TEAM deserves to be in the playoff. So maybe we just cancel the games.

No you just force teams who play in **** conference to schedule 2/3 OOC games against real teams. Most SEC teams play 1 good OOC team and then 2 cupcakes. Michigan for example played 3 cupcakes this year and Ohio State played 2 and Notre Dame. If the committee actually rewarded teams that played in tougher conferences then those teams would react and schedule real opponents to make up for their trash conference

Who are teams from the Mid-American, Conference USA or Mountain West going to schedule that would be meaningful? Their normal conference schedule eliminates them from competition under the current beauty contest rules. D1 needs further separation and then an automated berth system to the playoffs. Maybe drill down to the top 6 conferences are D1, take the top 2 teams from each conference and have some byes based on ranking to form the playoffs.

Well heck i guess

Auburn plays Mississippi ST &
Vandy plays Michigan ST

For all the marbles

You act like we are the only team to do that. OSU and now USC did that and both were beat by 22+ points. And if the craziness continues and TCU and UM join the teams "that lose badly to a team they should beat" - then the committee is picking among a lot of teams who met the criteria for elimination that many of you want to impose on the team you supposedly support.

We could be a situation this time tomorrow night where NO TEAM deserves to be in the playoff. So maybe we just cancel the games.

63 (record loss), no Hooker.
We couldn’t beat Utah, USC, OS, GA, MI. Or Alabama with our defense and OJ.

VN Store

Back