Who opts out of the bowl game ?

i think we get a NY6 bowl everybody will play except for Tillman. Exposure is key. Tillman needs more exposure, but with him being banged up he wouldn't want to take any chances.

Last edited:
Reactions: sechamp2012
Are
i think we get a NY6 bowl everybody will play except for Tillman. Exposer is key. Tillman needs more exposer, but with him being banged up he wouldn't want to take any chances.
Are you sure he needs to be exposed? Or did you mean to say he needs more exposure?

Didn't BY accept an invitation to play in one of the All Star games?

Some call the bowls an "exhibition" game not worth playing. My question is, "how so" in any way that other games are not once you cannot win a championship? Why skip a meaningful bowl game with your team and play in an All Star game... which really is an exhibition game?

I would think Hyatt would play, just to get the single season record he is near. Plus, if it is a NY6 bowl then a lot of attention will be on it. If wanting to up draft stock, could very well play to showcase more of his dominance on a high profile team.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
This thread is one of the main reasons I am starting to advocate for the 12 team playoff. Bowls mean nothing now. Players do not even want to be there. I am old school and will sincerely grieve the old bowl system but I also realize it is done. Look at just the Sugar. Man, that was a big, big deal back in the day. Now it is a sad consolation prize for the SEC team that did not make the playoffs.

I’m OK if it’s not a playoff it’s basically a practice game for next year. I think it will be a good barometer for next year and get some players that step up for these guys a head start. I mean NY6 used to be a real game until opt outs and you can’t blame seniors look at Matt Corral last year.

Some call the bowls an "exhibition" game not worth playing. My question is, "how so" in any way that other games are not once you cannot win a championship? Why skip a meaningful bowl game with your team and play in an All Star game... which really is an exhibition game?
I can see it both ways. For UT, we haven’t been to a MEANINGFUL bowl game in quite some time, I wouldn’t anticipate many guys opting out. For some teams (ex: BAMA and Clemson), missing the playoffs is a disappointment and a NY6 bowl means nothing and they decide to sit. If I was still playing I would want one last game with my teammates

Reactions: cgrish and sjt18
I’m OK if it’s not a playoff it’s basically a practice game for next year. I think it will be a good barometer for next year and get some players that step up for these guys a head start. I mean NY6 used to be a real game until opt outs and you can’t blame seniors look at Matt Corral last year.
It counts toward the season record, right?

I would think Hyatt would play, just to get the single season record he is near. Plus, if it is a NY6 bowl then a lot of attention will be on it. If wanting to up draft stock, could very well play to showcase more of his dominance on a high profile team.
He might play a few snaps to try and get the record, maybe but I doubt one more game is going to elevate his draft status. The combine is where that would happen

The Senior Bowl is an 'all-star' game that players go to because it is a precursor to the NFL combine. Pro coaches are working you out all week and NFL personnel and scouts are there talking to players, etc. If you are a draft hopeful, it is the first step towards the combine, and a chance to get in front of decision makers.

The bowl games are meaningful for coaches because of the extra weeks of practice and the chance to get a look at players who will be counted on as contributors next season.

He might play a few snaps to try and get the record, maybe but I doubt one more game is going to elevate his draft status. The combine is where that would happen

C'mon, be serious. This record is important to a few people in VolNation, but Hyatt #1 isn't making a decision about his future with that even a tiny factor, and #2 he's either going to opt out or play, not make a catch and head for the tunnel, or something goofy like that.

You guys are too much.

1. The record is meaningless except to a few fans.

2. He's certainly been appraised of his draft status, and no one is waiting on "one more game" - they have a season of tape to go on.

The Senior Bowl is an 'all-star' game that players go to because it is a precursor to the NFL combine.
An exhibition game with as much or probably GREATER risk of injury than a bowl game with their team in the scheme they've been running all year.

Pro coaches are working you out all week and NFL personnel and scouts are there talking to players, etc. If you are a draft hopeful, it is the first step towards the combine, and a chance to get in front of decision makers.

The bowl games are meaningful for coaches because of the extra weeks of practice and the chance to get a look at players who will be counted on as contributors next season.
You and others continue to operate under the notion that the purpose of College Football is ONLY to reach the NFL and that actually winning and losing as a team does not matter.

Reactions: livefaith
C'mon, be serious. This record is important to a few people in VolNation, but Hyatt #1 isn't making a decision about his future with that even a tiny factor, and #2 he's either going to opt out or play, not make a catch and head for the tunnel, or something goofy like that.
No I don't think he's going to play if his people are saying he's round 1 or 2. If for some reason he did decide to play it wouldn't be the full game.
I've stated in all these Hyatt threads he should go if he's 1st or 2nd round. Even my comment above says I don't think 1 more game is enough to elevate his draft status. The combine might though

Bc typically they are coached by non biased coaches. So NFL executives receive feedback about the player they can "trust." Granted its a short time of exposure. Not saying it justifies it but it's the only reason I can think of.

Reactions: sjt18
You guys are too much.

1. The record is meaningless except to a few fans.

2. He's certainly been appraised of his draft status, and no one is waiting on "one more game" - they have a season of tape to go on.
You know that as fact?

In the grand scheme, yep it is meaningless. But only needing 32 yards to break an all-time school record, that’s a pretty tough thing to pass up. He sure looked like he loved breaking that record with 5 TDs vs Bama.

VN Store

Back