How the new 12 Team playoff in 2024-2025 would look this year

Based on this format the 5-8 teams get to play at home.

I personally don’t think Michigan is a joke this year; however they would probably be the best “matchup” for Tennessee of any top 4 team (just my opinion).

I’m with you!!!

Man this should have been implemented 30 years ago. We'd be playing for a National Championship and would be IN the National Championship game (IMO) if this was in place this year. Sad.

Reactions: OptimisticFan
Man this should have been implemented 30 years ago. We'd be playing for a National Championship and would be IN the National Championship game (IMO) if this was in place this year. Sad.
Can you imagine the level of excitement if Neyland ever hosted a playoff game.
Grown men and women would all be wearing DEPENDS because we’d all be peeing our pants.
I hope this happens before I really am wearing adult diapers every day in the nursing home.

My biggest complaint with the playoffs, is the importance of winning your conference title has gotten lost. Fans are not interested in conference championships anymore (see basketball or baseball). I am old school and remember that was everyone’s preseason goal. The number of conf titles was something fans kept up with. Now preseason it is “can we make the playoffs”. With the 12 team playoffs coming quickly it seems obvious it is better not to be in the conference champ game and get an extra week of rest and mend injuries. I think all conference champs should get a bye to make up for that extra game they have to play. Come to think of it, why even have a conference champ game if both teams will probably make it into the playoffs anyway.
Sorry, I’m done.

[QUOTE="Come to think of it, why even have a conference champ game if both teams will probably make it into the playoffs anyway.
Sorry, I’m done.[/QUOTE]

Simple....Conference Championship game = Conference $$$$$

My biggest complaint with the playoffs, is the importance of winning your conference title has gotten lost. Fans are not interested in conference championships anymore (see basketball or baseball). I am old school and remember that was everyone’s preseason goal. The number of conf titles was something fans kept up with. Now preseason it is “can we make the playoffs”. With the 12 team playoffs coming quickly it seems obvious it is better not to be in the conference champ game and get an extra week of rest and mend injuries. I think all conference champs should get a bye to make up for that extra game they have to play. Come to think of it, why even have a conference champ game if both teams will probably make it into the playoffs anyway.
Sorry, I’m done.
we're in a different era.

I think you’d see a Tennessee bama rematch this year because the Michigan game is a favorable matchup for the Vols. I think Michigan is a better team but we’re a weird match for them.

Sorry, I’m done.

But hasn't it been like that in every sport since the beginning of time? And I don't think it's gotten lost.

I mean a conference championship is great...but isn't the ultimate goal a national championship?

Hasn't it always been better to win the Super Bowl than the AFC East?

Hasn't it always been better to win the NCAA tournament than the SEC Championship in Basketball?

I don't think winning the Atlantic Division has ever been as important as winning the Stanley Cup.

I think MLB teams are shooting for winning the World Series and not just the NL East.

I see nothing wrong with that.

It's great to be the best of 12-8-6-4 like institutions....it's even better to be the best there is period.

Reactions: VolArmy74
I don't agree with people who think this de-values the regular season. Teams still have to play their schedule to get into the Top 12, and giving 1-4 a bye further awards those spots because 5-12 have to play the additional game in order to advance. I say bring it on.

So just how many games will these "student-athletes" be playing assuming they play in the NC game?

Regular season - 12
Championship Game - 1
Bowl Game #1 - 1
Bowl Game #2 - 1
National Championship Game - 1

16 games?

Possibly 17 (round of 12, 8, 4, 2), and 16 if the team is in the top 4. I thought they would cancel the conference championships but if they're not going to start the playoff until the first Saturday after Dec. 21, they won't.

Maybe 18 - if we wind up getting superconferences there might be two rounds of conference championships.

Do conference champions get the automatic bye or just automatic bid?

I just don't understand why any team deserves or needs a bye. Avoid the bye week and either make it playoff of 8 teams or push it to 16.

I would be in full support of byes if they went to the actual top 4 seeds. Those teams would have earned the bye with excellent play, and it provides incentive to get one of the top seeds.

Making it the top 4 conference winners is garbage, as all conferences aren't created equal (despite what the powers that be try to sell), so you will have champs from weaker conferences (every conference but the SEC) getting byes over much better teams that play in a better conference.

Eight teams would be perfect, actually, but 16 is way too big and there would be endless blowouts.

Sorry, I’m done.

Agree that it's almost a disadvantage to have to play in a conference title game, especially if you don't get that first round bye. Just declare the champion the way they used to after the regular season and be done with it.

Reactions: DuckInAPen

VN Store

Back