Transfer Portal creates better coaches

LittleVol

Of course I can help you, Coach Heupel.
Many people believe that with NIL, transfer portal, and just regular ole recruiting that a coaches job is now overwhelming.
In reality..no.
They're still doing the same things they always did. (Recruiting and Developing)

Consider some things.
Where would Tennessee be without the transfer portal from the past 3 years??
Not 10-2 in 2022 I don't think..

What about talent depleted USC Trojans in 2021 now on the doorstep of college football playoffs in 2022?

High school recruiting will ALWAYS be the lifeblood. But...Transfer Portal also is HELPFUL for the coaches not just the players. Because you can now legally recruit an All-American College Football player while they have years of eligibility left...and on then cite "it's a free market". I can recruit and if you so choose you can negotiate your value with and other suitors. It allows the coaches (if they're smart enough) to immediately get better on top of letting their current players have the freedom to market themselves.

Remember...coaches are always recruiting and developing. The good ones are learning to view the players more on contract type basis vs "VFL" once you sign. Even if they say that vfl. The good coaches NOW have that opportunity to get that missing piece to their puzzle. And because of NIL, the kids talents can now be appropriately negotiated.
- no longterm contracts
- free agent after every season
- NIL takes care of your great players so that they can attract the other great players from other programs which enhances their winning capabilities.

Kids still want to win.
And make money
And play with great players
All of this creates a better coach imo.

Heupel is one of these coaches imo.

I would have said that the transfer portal REWARDS better coaches.

I haven't always "hated" UK... but Stoops mouthiness was starting to get under my skin a little. Just seeing their handwringing over what the portal appears ready to do to their roster... gives me a little perverse pleasure.

Yes, focus on the job and adapt to the environment… Darwin…we gotta roll with it..

Last edited:
This whole re-recruiting your roster every year plus recruiting your new players is going to become exhausting for coaches. And any coach who built a winner without this portal nonsense is better than one who won by corraling a bunch of transfer portal babies. The portal does not make coaches "better", from any standpoint. That's nonsense actually.

But it can make it easier for a coach if you can get a line on stealing players that can fill out your roster and cover up for your recruiting short-comings. All of the premature fan interest in the kids who are abandoning ship and can potentially be stolen is bothersome for me too. I understand it's the way of the new world, but I dont like it.

With the boosters spending all their money on NIL, they don't have the money to pay buyouts.

Making portal deadline windows is good. While I have nothing against a 1 time transfer that is it. If you elect to transfer more than once or are dismissed for other viable reasons you should have to sit a year. One time is all the majority of players should ever need. In fact I am not sure you shouldn’t have to wait till after your Sophmore year to transfer, a lot of times kids get homesick or want to flee at the first sign of adversity. I can’t begin to count the stories from Tennessee players alone over the years that said I am glad I stuck it out, I wanted to come home but my parents said stick it out and I am glad I did. Not saying a 1 time transfer is bad, I just think some kids these days use the portal at the first sign of struggles and don’t realize it’s just part of the process. Not saying all are like that, there are sometimes legit reasons. But I have already seen some transfer and their situation didn’t change very much. On the other side sometimes there is a benefit.

Reactions: VOL89grad

VN Store

Back