I never want UT to be #2 or #1 in any sport....

Volador

Orange you glad to be a Vol??
...until the last poll of the season. Just seems like we don't perform well when ranked at the top. Is it just my imagination???? Losing to the Cocks in Columbia was feverishly difficult to watch and last night, the Vol Bballers losing to Florida was excruciating to watch. So, I am hoping that all our UT teams peak when it means the most, and that is winning the championship game and then and only then earning the #1 spot.

It's basketball and I have learned not to concern myself with about half a dozen L's during the season. Sure the ranking and bracket help is cool if you win out, but good teams turn it on up in March. I don't even put a lot of stock or concern into the SEC tournament. I also am a very casual basketball fan when compared to football.

...until the last poll of the season. Just seems like we don't perform well when ranked at the top. Is it just my imagination???? Losing to the Cocks in Columbia was feverishly difficult to watch and last night, the Vol Bballers losing to Florida was excruciating to watch. So, I am hoping that all our UT teams peak when it means the most, and that is winning the championship game and then and only then earning the #1 spot.
I understand. Though I love bragging about the rankings, they usually always lose the very next game, and you gotta hear the overrated crap. I had this conversation with someone last night. Hopefully they catch fire in the post season.

Every single time we get ranked high in almost every sport, we seem to play like we do when we enter the NCAA tournaments.....Like garbage and like we forgot how to play. Last time we played like crap was when KY beat us. In these type of games we make stupid turnovers and we could not hit the broad side of a barn if we were standing two feet away from it.

Last edited:
There's a ton of pressure being top ranked. Having any UT team ranked that high doesn't happen very often, so I think the pressure gets to them in a way they aren't sure how to handle.

The best shooters miss, the best Qb misses throws he's made all season, the D forgets their assignments and techniques, the batter swings at stuff in the dirt, etc.

It's almost all mental.

Every single time we get ranked high in almost every sport, we seem to play like we do when we enter the NCAA tournaments.....Like garbage and like we forgot how to play. Last time we play like crap was when KY beat us. In these type of games we make stupid turnovers and we could not hit the broad side of a barn if we were standing two feet away from it.
Every single time? No

The AS/GW team stayed at #1 for weeks

We weren't #1 or 2 when we lost to SCjv.

I just like seeing our Vols in action. Love when we win. But life has too much good stuff to wring my hands, cringe, and whine about sports. I got a dog that thinks he's human, so tries to copy everything he sees me do. I got a cat that jealously draws her ears back when I hug my wife, I got an adult daughter who retains her tomboy genes, and scares the crap out of me with some of the stuff she pulls. And grandkids who think I can out jump Spider-man, land a B-52J on Horseshoe Mesa in Coconino County, Arizona, and that the Vols could play a midnight Bama game in Neyland, and sink the Russian titanium hulled Golden Fish submarine during half-time just for fun. And that's just a few of the things that makes my day-to-day life so much a joy. I love sports, Vols football in particular, but there are better things to be consumed by.

I like that were nipping at them top spots. Eventually we'll finish. I also like to be up there in the conversations it helps with recruiting. But I understand the heartbreak of it.

We have to learn how to act and perform when we are on top. It's not easy, but it can be done. I think that we have had the underdog mentality in just about every UT sport for so long that when we get to where we were hoping, we kind of lose our focus.

We have to learn how to act and perform when we are on top. It's not easy, but it can be done. I think that we have had the underdog mentality in just about every UT sport for so long that when we get to where we were hoping, we kind of lose our focus.
You're trying to use 1 recent game to prove your point when there's plenty of data that refutes it. Baseball seemed pretty comfortable. Last time bball was #1 they seemed to do ok. Football hit #1 once in a quarter century then lost to a better team.

The basketball team has shown an inordinate ability to lay a couple of stinkers every season. This was one of them. Let’s hope another one isn’t excreted in mid to late March

Seems to me those moments are excruciating to watch for you.

May I suggest you stop watching when a UT Sport is ranked 1 or 2 before season's end?

Pretty sure the top 2 teams have only stayed there for a max of 2 weeks without either of them losing. It’s basketball, losses happen to everyone in the country, no matter where you are ranked.

Reactions: DonDiego
The basketball team has shown an inordinate ability to lay a couple of stinkers every season. This was one of them. Let’s hope another one isn’t excreted in mid to late March
It's been 50 years since anyone has had a undefeated regular season in college basketball. It's just the nature of the sport.

Even the 96 Bulls lost some games.

It’s good for the team. Teams like Florida are running out of time if they want to make the tournament with mediocre records. When you have a top 5 ranking and go play teams like that you are going to get their absolute best shot every single time. They are desperate and playing for their life.

It’s sucks to drop a game but getting everyone’s best shot every night is what you get in the tournament so might as well get used to it.

Reactions: DuckInAPen

Shorter version: Don't enjoy the journey. Final game is all that matters.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
It’s possible to lose and still play well. That was not the case last night
When you play 30+ games in a season that's going to happen every now and again. I'm not disputing that they laid and egg, just that doing that a couple of times a season is "inordinate". It happens to everyone.

VN Store

Back