Can Milton win the Heisman?

BlinghamptonVol

Joe obviously has all the physical tools to make every throw on the field. We saw his improved development in the Orange Bowl. He is in the greatest offense in college football.

What kind of numbers and how far does this team have to go to get Milton #1 on those ballots?

I say we need to make the SEC championship game, be in the top 3, and he needs to hit 4,000 with 35+tds before the Championship game. My understanding is that the ballots are cast before conference championships, so he needs to hit those numbers in 12 games. That would average out to 334 ypg and 3 tds.

You might say those are high standards compared to some past winners, but we know the Heisman voters never want a UT guy to make it, so Milton needs to be that much better than the competition. It would help for Caleb Williams to lose a game or two mid season to slow his momentum. The good news is uga won’t have a walkon starting next year so they won’t get the feel-good-story vote for a mediocre qb. Heup just needs to keep Milton in the games long enough to hit those numbers when we’re rolling other teams.

What do y’all think? What’s Milton’s path to the Heisman?

Reactions: FlyFishnVol
Joe obviously has all the physical tools to make every throw on the field. We saw his improved development in the Orange Bowl. He is in the greatest offense in college football.

What kind of numbers and how far does this team have to go to get Milton #1 on those ballots?

I say we need to make the SEC championship game, be in the top 3, and he needs to hit 4,000 with 35+tds before the Championship game. My understanding is that the ballots are cast before conference championships, so he needs to hit those numbers in 12 games. That would average out to 334 ypg and 3 tds.

You might say those are high standards compared to some past winners, but we know the Heisman voters never want a UT guy to make it, so Milton needs to be that much better than the competition. It would help for Caleb Williams to lose a game or two mid season to slow his momentum. The good news is uga won’t have a walkon starting next year so they won’t get the feel-good-story vote for a mediocre qb. Heup just needs to keep Milton in the games long enough to hit those numbers when we’re rolling other teams.

Long shot. IMO but it's possible. Question is can he repeat what Hooker had going on and avoid injury?

Long shot. IMO but it's possible. Question is can he repeat what Hooker had going on and avoid injury?
Avoiding injuries will be key. We need our o-line to continue to develop and we need Milton to be smart running the ball. The good news is his running style should help him prevent injuries. I love Hook, but I thought he was gonna tear both ACLs every time he ran the ball.

I mean realistically, to win the Heisman Joe is not going to have to leave the Heisman committee any options.

Basically, he's gonna have to turn in a Cam Newton 2010 season.

Is it possible? Oh hell yes.

Likely? Well that is the question isn't it?

While I made my wisecracks about Milton after the 21 Ole Miss game, I have come to respect him greatly. Both as a person as well as to what he has given to the Vols as a whole.

In the end though, how Milton does this year is gonna be determined by Joe. The dude has every single physical aspect you can dream of for a QB.

I sincerely hope that the man leaves our jaws on the floor multiple times this season in shear awe of what we have just witnessed.

He could have a Lamar Jackson or RGIII type season if all the breaks go our way. Joe needs to figure out how to be a more physical runner to take the pressure off the pass game. Also depends on who else is up for the award and what kind of seasons they're having. In an average year across the board, I think Milton has as good a chance as anyone. Williams will put up crazy numbers again though.

Edit: Upon further reflection, Joe is probably not going to replicate Jackson's numbers. But I stand by the RGIII comparison.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlinghamptonVol
Anything is possible but I think he’s going to need to be more of a threat in the run game like Hooker was to have a shot.

Reactions: DickeyD

We need to slow down on that, I’m still not 100% sold on him.. I need to see him be more consistent before we start talking about the Heisman. The guy has unbelievable potential, but can he stay consistent. We really need him to have a good year.

NO. Took me a while, but I now agree with Vols fans who insist there's a preexisting bias against Tennessee by pollsters and awards voters. If JoMil throws for 7K yards, 62TDs, runs for 790yds, and cures all forms of cancer, they will still find an excuse to pick anyone but a Tennessee player for the Heisman.

It’s amazing that we’ve gone from him being absolutely awful in his first couple of games last season, to now even having this as a thought. He’s always had the skills to do it, but Heupel and staff have done an amazing job calming him down. I was super impressed with him the last two games of the year. I’m on the Joe train big time!

Last edited:
Anything is possible but I think he’s going to need to be more of a threat in the run game like Hooker was to have a shot.
This as well. If he can become a legit threat in the running game, I mean every game. He needs to run for 50 yds a game and a score or two, along with good passing numbers (very low ints) and he could have a shot. I see him as a Cam Newton style of QB.....maybe not the way he plays but he sure could. Highlight reels of him running over corners and safetys!

OP, I think the better question is WILL he win the Heisman.

He obviously has all the physical qualities to win it but I don't think it will happen. If Bama and Ga. weren't on the schedule, I would say yes.

Our line can not hold off the 5* linemen that the Tide and Dawgs have. We should run the table other than those two. 10-2

VN Store

Back