The Empress of UT Lady Basketball

WoodsmanVol

It takes wisdom to understand wisdom.
I did the same for the General in the football forum. Here's my amateurish effort at colorizing a B/W photo of the grand dame of women's basketball, before she became the Empress. The young Pat Summitt posed for action. Now, for my critics, I made no effort to be accurate about her uniform colors, and messed up her number. For me this was more an experiment than an artistic endeavor. I'm no artist anyway, nor a pro in colorizing B/W photos. I just wanted to see if I had a rudimentary understanding of how to do it.
PatSummit2Face2A.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't know Pat personally, but in an effort to give people of a flavor for her backstory and her competitiveness, I often tell this story. Some of the other guys and I from Gibbs would often go play pickup games at the old alumni gym. We were barred from playing pickup games at Stokely -- so we would head to Alumni to play. I think as often as not - we played full court. More often than not Pat would be there playing pickup - the only female on the court along with 9 males. Of course, if you lost you sat. There were some decent athletes in the mix and Pat neither asked for or gave any quarter.

Of course, she went on to make sure that her best teams scrimmaged against male athletes, and I don't doubt that she also learned a lot of strategic lessons on the value of people movement and ball movement, good defense, rebounding and toughness from her experiences at Alumni gym.

I didn't know Pat personally, but in an effort to give people of a flavor for her backstory and her competitiveness, I often tell this story. Some of the other guys and I from Gibbs would often go play pickup games at the old alumni gym. We were barred from playing pickup games at Stokely -- so we would head to Alumni to play. I think as often as not - we played full court. More often than not Pat would be there playing pickup - the only female on the court along with 9 males. Of course, if you lost you sat. There were some decent athletes in the mix and Pat neither asked for or gave any quarter.

Of course, she went on to make sure that her best teams scrimmaged against male athletes, and I don't doubt that she also learned a lot of strategic lessons on the value of people movement and ball movement, good defense, rebounding and toughness from her experiences at Alumni gym.
Have you read her books? Very insightful.

Well, he got the stare right. I'm still scared of it. And I'm just a dude watching on TV and the net.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I did the same for the General in the football forum. Here's my amateurish effort at colorizing a B/W photo of the grand dame of women's basketball, before she became the Empress. The young Pat Summitt posed for action. Now, for my critics, I made no effort to be accurate about her uniform colors, and messed up her number. For me this was more an experiment than an artistic endeavor. I'm no artist anyway, nor a pro in colorizing B/W photos. I just wanted to see if I had a rudimentary understanding of how to do it.
View attachment 534428

True what you say about your effort, not very proficient...

Only in a court of law and when advised thusly by attorneys. 😂

I guess admitting I'm not especially skillful in colorizing B/W photos is an illegal act. OK, I'll take it. Why not? The world is screwed up anyway, dayun the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

I guess admitting I'm not especially skillful in colorizing B/W photos is an illegal act. OK, I'll take it. Why not? The world is screwed up anyway, dayun the torpedoes, full speed ahead!
I thought the colorization was great. Great choice of image also. I shouldn’t snark as I’ve never tried to execute one myself. I do good just to post pictures and YouTube links… 😉

I thought the colorization was great. Great choice of image also. I shouldn’t snark as I’ve never tried to execute one myself. I do good just to post pictures and YouTube links… 😉

Appreciate that, even though I don't think I did the great woman proper justice. But I had fun just trying my hand at it to see if I could even do it. And I learned something. Until colorizing, I never thought of Pat as a brunette or rather raven haired, no excuse as I had seen other B/W pics of her in the past. It just didn't register until I tried coloring.

I think it looks great. It's sure better than what I could have done.

Thank you very much. I'm not all that with colorizing, but try it yourself. I think after a bit of practice, you will find yourself enjoying it as much as I do. If you're high end, Photoshop has some nice tutorials, if lower end (but darn good quality just the same) try Paintshop Pro, which I think has easier tutorials to understand, and less stress.

Thank you very much. I'm not all that with colorizing, but try it yourself. I think after a bit of practice, you will find yourself enjoying it as much as I do. If you're high end, Photoshop has some nice tutorials, if lower end (but darn good quality just the same) try Paintshop Pro, which I think has easier tutorials to understand, and less stress.
In a news article related to Pat Summitt, Tyler Summitt and his wife named their first-born baby daughter Patricia Lakelyn Summitt, born on Feb. 7th.

In a news article related to Pat Summitt, Tyler Summitt and his wife named their first-born baby daughter Patricia Lakelyn Summitt, born on Feb. 7th.

Good to know. I think he will never again be a BB coach, but learned a lesson he'll never forget, or repeat. If I may intrude that far, I wonder if his wife is the same girl he messed around with when he coached her.

I took your outstanding colorization material and attempted to turn it into a black & white version.

It's not something Quentin Tarantino will use, but thought it came out ok...

th

VN Store

Back