The Official #2 Tennessee vs. #25 Auburn Game Thread, 2:00 PM ET, ESPN

YankeeVol

To some, war is hell. To us, it’s sanctuary.
#2 Tennessee Volunteers: 18-4 (8-2 SEC)
resize

vs.

#25 Auburn Tigers: 17-5 (7-2 SEC)
Fn7M8uDaMAEbcHZ

GAME 23 | TENNESSEE vs. AUBURN - Saturday, Feb. 4, 2023 | 2:05 p.m. ET | Knoxville, Tenn. | Thompson-Boling Arena (21,678)

Line: UT -9
O/U: 134.5

TV: ESPN / Watch
Radio: Vol Network / Listen / Live Stats
Satellite Radio: SiriusXM: 81 / Internet: 81
Online: WatchESPN.com

Auburn Game Notes

FoDhlElWAAAXY3u

THE SERIES

• Tennessee leads its all-time series with Auburn, 79-44, dating to 1927.
• When the series is contested in Knoxville, the Vols hold a 49-9 advantage.
• Since 1999-2000, Tennessee is 11-2 vs. Auburn at Thompson-Boling Arena.
• UT won last season's lone meeting, rallying from an 11-point second-half deficit to post a 67-62 victory in Knoxville.
• Among SEC teams over the last six seasons, only Auburn (139) has more total wins than Tennessee (137).
• Auburn head coach Bruce Pearl coached the Tennessee program from 2006-11. His son and current Auburn assistant coach, Steven Pearl, lettered for the Vols from 2007-11 and is a UT graduate.
• The Vols have won 27 of their last 28 games inside Thompson-Boling Arena.
• Under Rick Barnes, the Vols have logged 24 wins over AP ranked foes, including 11 wins over top-10 teams.

SCOUTING REPORT

• The Vols have held the No. 2 spot in the NCAA's NET ratings since Jan. 3.
• Tennessee has two wins over teams with a current top-10 NET rating—No. 7 Kansas and No. 9 Texas. UT is one of only six teams in the country that can claim that.
• During SEC play, Tennessee leads the league in scoring defense (56.4 ppg), free-throw percentage (.791) and assists (16.4).
• In its last 25 games against SEC opponents, the Vols are 22-3 with wins over every league opponent except Alabama (no meetings).
• Reigning SEC Player of the Week Zakai Zeigler averages a league-best 6.8 assists during SEC play while ranking third in the league in both assist/turnover ratio (3.05) and steals (2.22 spg).
• Saturday is Tennessee's third home sellout this season. UT ranks fifth nationally in average home attendance (17,897)—one of three SEC teams in the top four.

THE NATION'S BEST DEFENSE

• For the 10th straight week, the Volunteers own the best adjusted defensive efficiency in the country per KenPom, allowing only 85.5 points per 100 possessions.
• Tennessee owns the nation's best field-goal percentage defense (.348) and 3-point defense (.225).
• 10 times this season, the Vols have held their opponents to 50 points or less.
• Only three teams have reached the 70-point mark against these Vols.
• Only five opposing players have scored 20 or more points against the Vols this season.
• In 22 games, Tennessee opponents have managed to make only 110 3-pointers—just 5.0 per game.
• Tennessee has trailed at the break only four times this season and is outscoring its opponents 34.8 ppg to 25.1 ppg in first-half action (+9.7 ppg).

ABOUT AUBURN

• Auburn (17-5, 7-2 SEC) has dropped two of its last three games after having previously won five straight. The Tigers saw their 28-game home win streak snapped in a 79-63 loss to Texas A&M on Jan. 25 before falling on the road in the SEC/Big 12 Challenge last Saturday at West Virginia, 80-77. Auburn defeated Georgia at home on Wednesday, 94-73, avenging a loss to the Bulldogs from last month.
• The Tigers are 4-3 in true road games this season, having won three of their last four.
• Auburn is 2-3 in Quadrant 1 games this season, with wins over Arkansas at home and Northwestern at a neutral site. Ranked No. 2 in the NET rankings as of Feb. 2, Tennessee is set to be the highest-ranked team Auburn has faced this season by 22 spots.
• Sophomore forward and Morehead State transfer Johni Broome has made an immediate impact for Auburn this season, ranking second on the team in scoring (13.6 ppg) and leading the team in rebounding (8.9 rpg) and blocks (2.5 bpg). Last season at Morehead State, Broome was named All-OVC First Team and OVC Defensive Player of the Year.
• Despite losing Jabari Smith to the 2022 NBA Draft, Auburn returned a trio of guards—Wendell Green Jr. (13.8 ppg), Allen Flanigan (9.4 ppg) and K.D. Johnson (8.1 ppg)—this season from last year's team that finished 28-6 (15-3 SEC) and won the SEC regular-season title.
• Coming in at No. 25 this week, Auburn is ranked in the AP Poll for a program-record 32nd week in a row.
• According to KenPom.com, Auburn ranks 21st in the nation in adjusted defensive efficiency and 48th in adjusted offensive efficiency.

Time to blow the doors off the Barn. Go Vols!

Who's on the officiating crew today? Ordinarily I'd be feeling Auburn would be in for a long day with is coming off a bad loss. Having said that it is Pearl on that sideline and the number is 7-4. Still think Auburn goes down, but I won't sleep on Pearl in this one. Officials might make the difference.

Man, I loved Bruce back in the day when the marriage between he and UT was going so well. I even have two pairs of orange and white suspenders, the BP model, that I would wear to 4-5 games a year. I even contemplated pulling them out from the recesses of my overcrowded closet and wearing them, not to pay homage to Pearl, but to use them as some kind of voodoo magic that would put a hex on Auburn and protect us from any kind of upset bug that could be floating around.

I think you can always say our offense is going to be a little suspect usually more on the road than at home. We play great defense have lost two games where we only allowed 63 points. Scoring in the 50's is not going to beat anybody. Both those games it wasn't defense that stoppled us it was games where no one could make a shot. Don't know why that happens, but it has to us this season. All players seem to play badly in the same game.

Vols must come out with and maintain a high level of intensity throughout the game or this will be a repeat of the UK and UFL games.

Go Vols!

VN Store

Back