Coach Jumper

I can be there tomorrow
002.jpg

black lady vol B-ball.jpg
at
Mississippi_State_2022.png

A month ago Tn won the game 80-69
but,
Jessika Carter #4 went off for 21 pts on 9-17 shooting and 14 rebounds.
Debreasha Powell #21 went off for 21 as well, shooting 6-10 from outside the arc

For Tennessee,
Jordan Horston had 27 points on 11-21 shooting
Rickea Jackson chipped in 18 on 9-20 shooting

Coach Jumper's predictions: 87-71 or 58-53
<this game will be one or the other>

@Ladyvol777 72-52
@glv98 64-52
@J-Dog 1313 83-55
@Orange Maniac 80-66
@dillyo51 71-62
@Vols2015 70-52
@Golfteacher 75-65
@MrBiggles 78-69
@Jax_Vol 66-63
@chuckiepoo 72-62
@djtee 69-55
@Rooster1 71-58
@mudcat1973 76-66

From Hoops Central:
Tennessee (17-8, 9-1 SEC), which is receiving votes in both polls, travels to Starkville to take on Mississippi State (15-7, 4-5 SEC) on Monday at 6 p.m. Central Time (7 p.m. ET) at Humphrey Coliseum. The Lady Vols enter the contest residing a game back of South Carolina and LSU in third place in the SEC standings, while the Bulldogs were tied with Arkansas in sixth entering the league games of Feb. 5-6. The Bulldogs and Lady Vols will meet for the 47th time in a series that dates back to 1986, with the Lady Vols holding a 39-7 advantage and winning the past two meetings, including an 80-69 victory in Knoxville earlier this season on Jan. 5.

Kellie Harper's squad enters having won 10 of its past 12 games and 15 of its last 19, with the only losses coming vs. (then) No. 9/9 Virginia Tech (59-56) on Dec. 4, at No. 2/2 Stanford on Dec. 18 (77-70), vs. No. 5/4 UConn on Jan. 26 in Knoxville (84-67) and at No. 3/3 LSU (76-68) on Jan. 30.

The match-up vs. MSU is the second of two straight vs. schools from the Magnolia State, as the Big Orange women prevailed over Ole Miss, 65-51, on Thursday night in Knoxville. The Lady Vols got 20 points from Jordan Horston and 16 from Rickea Jackson, while 5-foot-8 guard Jordan Walker led UT with eight rebounds and four steals en route to the 14-point win over the SEC's fourth-place team.

Mississippi State was idle on Thursday, but has lost two straight after falling to Ole Miss at Oxford, 78-63, on Jan. 26. and to Georgia in Athens, 62-34, on Jan. 29. MSU suffered a 12-45 (26.7) shooting effort vs. UGA, including 2-for-15 misery beyond the arc, and committed 27 turnovers. Of note, MSU is 10-2 at home this season, falling there to only #1 South Carolina and Ole Miss. Second-year UT assistant coach Samantha Williams and first-year Mississippi State head coach Sam Purcell were assistants together for Jeff Walz at Louisville for seven seasons from 2013-14 to 2019-20.

• Tennessee bounced back from a pair of setbacks to top-five teams, utilizing solid defense and timely buckets to secure a 65-51 wire-to-wire victory over Ole Miss in Thompson-Boling Arena on Thursday night to improve to 9-1 in Southeastern Conference play.
  • Senior guard Jordan Horston was the game's top scorer with 20 points, adding seven rebounds and five assists. Senior forward Rickea Jackson was also in double digits for UT (17-8, 9-1 SEC) with 16, while 5-foot-8 graduate guard Jordan Walker paced the Big Orange on the boards with eight to go along with a game-high four steals, four assists and six points.
  • Angel Baker and Marquesha Davis led UM (18-5, 7-3 SEC) with 14 and 11 points, respectively, as Tennessee held the Rebels to their lowest point production of the season. The 51 points by Ole Miss also represents the fewest surrendered by UT in league play and the second fewest of the season behind the 39 they allowed Chattanooga on December 6.
Lady Vol Odds & Ends

• JILL & JOJO EMERGING: In UT's last four games, Jillian Hollingshead (8.8 ppg., 5.8 rpg., 64% FG) and Jordan Walker (7.8 ppg., 4.5 rpg., 3.3 apg., 2.2 spg.) have noticeably increased their production.
  • JORDY ELEVATING HER GAME: Jordan Horston is leading Tennessee in scoring at 19.3 ppg. over the past four games, upping her season average to 15.7.
  • NO. 2 DUE FOR 20: Rickea Jackson leads the Lady Vols with eight 20-point scoring efforts this season and is tops in scoring average (17.7) and field goal pct. (55.0).
  • DANDY DISHING: Jordan Horston ranks third among SEC players in league games at 4.22 assists per game, while Jordan Walker is No. 7 in apg. (3.7) and No. 3 in assist/turnover ratio (2.06).
  • TESS AMONG SEC "3" LEADERS: Tess Darby ranks No. 2 in the SEC in three-point field goal percentage in league games (36.7) and No. 3 in three-pointers made (2.2).
  • THESE POSTS HAVE RANGE: Karoline Striplin (3-6) and Jillian Hollingshead (1-2) are hitting 50 percent beyond the arc in SEC games and aren't afraid to let it fly.
A Look At The Bulldogs

• Mississippi State enters with two players scoring in double figures: Jessika Carter (15.4 ppg.) and JerKaila Jordan (10.3 ppg.). Debreasha Powe (9.7 ppg.) is right behind them, while Carter leads in rebounds as well at 8.0 rpg.
  • Carter is No. 9 in the NCAA in total blocks (54) and No. 21 in field goal percentage (58.1).
  • MSU is ranked No. 7 nationally in field goal percentage defense at 34.5 pct., No. 14 in three-point percentage defense (25.9), No. 16 in blocks per game (5.1 spg.), No. 19 in scoring margin (+16.0) and No. 22 in scoring defense (allowing 55.4 ppg).
  • The Bulldogs are forcing 18.6 turnovers per contest.
  • Mississippi State fell to 15-7 overall and 4-5 in the conference after a 62-34 loss at Georgia on Jan. 29.
  • The Bulldogs struggled on offense in Athens, scoring 34 points, their fewest of the season, while shooting 27 percent from the field and 13 percent from the three-point line.
  • Turnovers plagued Mississippi State, as the Bulldogs committed 15 in the first half and 27 total for the game, the most turnovers State has committed this season. UGA capitalized with 24 points off those miscues.
  • Ahlana Smith led the offensive side of the ball for the Bulldogs, scoring nine points on the day.
  • JerKaila Jordan continued to crash the boards, grabbing eight rebounds and dishing out four assists.

Last edited:
In Kellie's last presser she mentioned this was the third consecutive opponent Tennessee has faced who have had a full (bye) week to prepare only for the Lady Vols. This is a significant factor, I think, when considering how things may shake out.

The big talking point before this game will be, of course, the fact that this will be Rickea Jackson's return to play in front of her former home-team fans.

My guess is that Kea will pretend none of this matters or bothers or occupies her thoughts in any significant way, but ... dayum ... she'd be lyin' like a rug! 🤣

This game will matter a great deal to Rickea and her family, and I just hope she has a decent game. MsSt is going to be all over her like white on rice, so she is unlikely to have a GREAT game, but I hope for her that she can make up for possibly not scoring her average by getting above average in rebounds, in assists and in steals. Kea could crush them in so many more ways than just scoring points!

In Kellie's last presser she mentioned this was the third consecutive opponent Tennessee has faced who have had a full (bye) week to prepare only for the Lady Vols. This is a significant factor, I think, when considering how things may shake out.

The big talking point before this game will be, of course, the fact that this will be Rickea Jackson's return to play in front of her former home-team fans.

My guess is that Kea will pretend none of this matters or bothers or occupies her thoughts in any significant way, but ... dayum ... she'd be lyin' like a rug! 🤣

This game will matter a great deal to Rickea and her family, and I just hope she has a decent game. MsSt is going to be all over her like white on rice, so she is unlikely to have a GREAT game, but I hope for her that she can make up for possibly not scoring her average by getting above average in rebounds, in assists and in steals. Kea could crush them in so many more ways than just scoring points!

Realistically, every game for the LVs is a de facto tournament game. They need to be bring the intensity from the freaking tip off.

Realistically, every game for the LVs is a de facto tournament game. They need to be bring the intensity from the freaking tip off.

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!

It's crunch time. The time to "learn from losses," with one possible exception, has closed.
The rest of the season is 100% "staff figuring out how to counteract weaknesses while shocking the Ish out of some opponents..

Several teams have already had a week off from playing but we elected to play Uconn instead, so the tiredness factor is mounting. This "tournament game" worries me more than any other game on our regular schedule. I am not worried about S. Carolina because it won't hurt us if we lose but would be tremendous if we won. I do think the tiredness factor could be a real issue, our tendency not to play mid-level competition that well on the road, Kea will likely be more emotionally reactive there given that the fans will be on her along with her former team (please don't get kicked out of the game for 2 technicals), and it is harder to beat a team a second time when the 2nd game is on the road. I am not predicting a MSU win but think it may well be a nail biter. If we get one of our 3 - point shooters hot, this will help immeasurably.

If Tennessee is patient and especially Jackson they will get all the shots they need to bury this team. St is to short to guard us other than the post player Carter. So be patient shoot with confidence. Have a wonderful Lord's Day. In CHRIST Alone

Several teams have already had a week off from playing but we elected to play Uconn instead, so the tiredness factor is mounting. This "tournament game" worries me more than any other game on our regular schedule. I am not worried about S. Carolina because it won't hurt us if we lose but would be tremendous if we won. I do think the tiredness factor could be a real issue, our tendency not to play mid-level competition that well on the road, Kea will likely be more emotionally reactive there given that the fans will be on her along with her former team (please don't get kicked out of the game for 2 technicals), and it is harder to beat a team a second time when the 2nd game is on the road. I am not predicting a MSU win but think it may well be a nail biter. If we get one of our 3 - point shooters hot, this will help immeasurably.

Can't see how our "effort" (or lack thereof) in this game could cause us to be tired!!

Reactions: olddog
Not sure the tired factor will mean that much since our team has been home and in their own beds since Tuesday. Also they get an extra day since it's a Monday game. Players always say they'd rather play than practice so I don't think us having the home game Thursday was that big a deal.

Also, MS last game was a wheels-off 34-62 disaster against Georgia. After a bad loss, you want another game as soon as possible to get that taste out of your mouth, so the week without a game may actually work against them. MSU always seems on the brink of imploding to me, bc of their recent history and bc of the presence of the Hayes.

Speaking of, I was wrong earlier when I said reining in of Annie H was a good thing. Purcell has taken it way too far and has pretty much shut her down completely. She only had 4 pts and no assists against Georgia, only got up 5 shots. It leaves him dependent on Carter, who did have a nice game against us but had 8 pts, only 2 rebounds and 9 turnovers against GA. Hayes did have 17 pts in their one pt win over KY receently, but that was mostly due to pts off free throws.

X factor of course is RJ and I'm guessing they are not down there preparing the fatted calf to welcome the prodigal daughter home. I'm sure JerKalia Jordan will continue to be her designated tormentor on and off the court. RJ will say she enjoys the heightened competition and her teammates will have her back. We'll see how all that goes. In my dream world, RJ hangs 40 on them, but I'll take just getting out of there with a win.

LVs 64-52.

Last edited:
Not sure the tired factor will mean that much since our team has been home and in their own beds since Tuesday. Also they get an extra day since it's a Monday game. Players always say they'd rather play than practice so I don't think us having the home game Thursday was that big a deal.

Also, MS last game was a wheels-off 34-62 disaster against Georgia. After a bad loss, you want another game as soon as possible to get that taste out of your mouth, so the week without a game may actually work against them. MSU always seems on the brink of imploding to me, bc of their recent history and bc of the presence of the Hayes.

Speaking of, I was wrong earlier when I said reining in of Annie H was a good thing. Purcell has taken it way too far and has pretty much shut her down completely. She only had 4 pts and no assists against Georgia, only got up 5 shots. It leaves him dependent on Carter, who did have a nice game against us but had 8 pts, only 2 rebounds and 9 turnovers against GA. Hayes did have 17 pts in their one pt win over KY receently, but that was mostly due to pts off free throws.

X factor of course is RJ and I'm guessing they are not down there preparing the fatted calf to welcome the prodigal daughter home. I'm sure JerKalia Jordan will continue to be her designated tormentor on and off the court. RJ will say she enjoys the heightened competition and her teammates will have her back. We'll see how all that goes. In my dream world, RJ hangs 40 on them, but I'll take just getting out of there with a win.

LVs 64-52.

in my 50's I was still playing "win till you lose" pickup games,,sometimes being on the floor for 3-4 games before we lost
Two days later I was back in the gym doing the same thing, or, coaching
If fatigue is a factor,,,We need to start spooning some Geritol

Last edited:
BTHO MSST

Hope we have a nice game and come ready to play. Need to bring the same defensive energy we did against Ole Miss.

For some reason I suspect MSST is having locker room problems again. Their last two games did not look good. Carter went from dominating the glass to loafing around.

Anyone ever find out why the Hayes sisters missed the A&M game?

in my 50's I was still playing "win till you lose" pickup games,,sometimes being on the floor for 3-4 games before we lost
These kids were recruited playing tournament style weekend play. Fatigue isn’t a factor just an excuse to get by.

At 30, I stopped jumping on trampolines and playing pickup games.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
BTHO MSST

Hope we have a nice game and come ready to play. Need to bring the same defensive energy we did against Ole Miss.

For some reason I suspect MSST is having locker room problems again. Their last two games did not look good. Carter went from dominating the glass to loafing around.

Anyone ever find out why the Hayes sisters missed the A&M game?
Listed as "personal", since it was both could have been a family thing.

Purcell went out of his way to praise Annie's behavior on the bench during their KY win, said he had asked her to be "patient" with him lol. Sounds like roles are mixed up there. Annie was a nonfactor in the beatdown at Georgia.

As I said earlier, that team always seems about to implode to me.

Reactions: VolBall09
At 30, I stopped jumping on trampolines and playing pickup games.
Up until two years ago I could still touch the rim
I believe I still could do it,,,but landing has taken on a whole new sensitivity

I am 63, 6ft 180 and have been in the hospital twice,,,,tonsils and colonoscopy,,,that is why I still jump trampolines and play pickup games...it benefits your health
;o)

View attachment 534701

View attachment 534692
at
Mississippi_State_2022.png

A month ago Tn won the game 80-69
but,
Jessika Carter #4 went off for 21 pts on 9-17 shooting and 14 rebounds.
Debreasha Powell #21 went off for 21 as well, shooting 6-10 from outside the arc

For Tennessee,
Jordan Horston had 27 points on 11-21 shooting
Rickea Jackson chipped in 18 on 9-20 shooting

Coach Jumper's predictions: 87-71 or 58-53
<this game will be one or the other>

@Ladyvol777 72-52
@glv98 64-52
@J-Dog 1313 83-55

From Hoops Central:
Tennessee (17-8, 9-1 SEC), which is receiving votes in both polls, travels to Starkville to take on Mississippi State (15-7, 4-5 SEC) on Monday at 6 p.m. Central Time (7 p.m. ET) at Humphrey Coliseum. The Lady Vols enter the contest residing a game back of South Carolina and LSU in third place in the SEC standings, while the Bulldogs were tied with Arkansas in sixth entering the league games of Feb. 5-6. The Bulldogs and Lady Vols will meet for the 47th time in a series that dates back to 1986, with the Lady Vols holding a 39-7 advantage and winning the past two meetings, including an 80-69 victory in Knoxville earlier this season on Jan. 5.

Kellie Harper's squad enters having won 10 of its past 12 games and 15 of its last 19, with the only losses coming vs. (then) No. 9/9 Virginia Tech (59-56) on Dec. 4, at No. 2/2 Stanford on Dec. 18 (77-70), vs. No. 5/4 UConn on Jan. 26 in Knoxville (84-67) and at No. 3/3 LSU (76-68) on Jan. 30.

The match-up vs. MSU is the second of two straight vs. schools from the Magnolia State, as the Big Orange women prevailed over Ole Miss, 65-51, on Thursday night in Knoxville. The Lady Vols got 20 points from Jordan Horston and 16 from Rickea Jackson, while 5-foot-8 guard Jordan Walker led UT with eight rebounds and four steals en route to the 14-point win over the SEC's fourth-place team.

Mississippi State was idle on Thursday, but has lost two straight after falling to Ole Miss at Oxford, 78-63, on Jan. 26. and to Georgia in Athens, 62-34, on Jan. 29. MSU suffered a 12-45 (26.7) shooting effort vs. UGA, including 2-for-15 misery beyond the arc, and committed 27 turnovers. Of note, MSU is 10-2 at home this season, falling there to only #1 South Carolina and Ole Miss. Second-year UT assistant coach Samantha Williams and first-year Mississippi State head coach Sam Purcell were assistants together for Jeff Walz at Louisville for seven seasons from 2013-14 to 2019-20.

• Tennessee bounced back from a pair of setbacks to top-five teams, utilizing solid defense and timely buckets to secure a 65-51 wire-to-wire victory over Ole Miss in Thompson-Boling Arena on Thursday night to improve to 9-1 in Southeastern Conference play.
  • Senior guard Jordan Horston was the game's top scorer with 20 points, adding seven rebounds and five assists. Senior forward Rickea Jackson was also in double digits for UT (17-8, 9-1 SEC) with 16, while 5-foot-8 graduate guard Jordan Walker paced the Big Orange on the boards with eight to go along with a game-high four steals, four assists and six points.
  • Angel Baker and Marquesha Davis led UM (18-5, 7-3 SEC) with 14 and 11 points, respectively, as Tennessee held the Rebels to their lowest point production of the season. The 51 points by Ole Miss also represents the fewest surrendered by UT in league play and the second fewest of the season behind the 39 they allowed Chattanooga on December 6.
Lady Vol Odds & Ends

• JILL & JOJO EMERGING: In UT's last four games, Jillian Hollingshead (8.8 ppg., 5.8 rpg., 64% FG) and Jordan Walker (7.8 ppg., 4.5 rpg., 3.3 apg., 2.2 spg.) have noticeably increased their production.
  • JORDY ELEVATING HER GAME: Jordan Horston is leading Tennessee in scoring at 19.3 ppg. over the past four games, upping her season average to 15.7.
  • NO. 2 DUE FOR 20: Rickea Jackson leads the Lady Vols with eight 20-point scoring efforts this season and is tops in scoring average (17.7) and field goal pct. (55.0).
  • DANDY DISHING: Jordan Horston ranks third among SEC players in league games at 4.22 assists per game, while Jordan Walker is No. 7 in apg. (3.7) and No. 3 in assist/turnover ratio (2.06).
  • TESS AMONG SEC "3" LEADERS: Tess Darby ranks No. 2 in the SEC in three-point field goal percentage in league games (36.7) and No. 3 in three-pointers made (2.2).
  • THESE POSTS HAVE RANGE: Karoline Striplin (3-6) and Jillian Hollingshead (1-2) are hitting 50 percent beyond the arc in SEC games and aren't afraid to let it fly.
A Look At The Bulldogs

• Mississippi State enters with two players scoring in double figures: Jessika Carter (15.4 ppg.) and JerKaila Jordan (10.3 ppg.). Debreasha Powe (9.7 ppg.) is right behind them, while Carter leads in rebounds as well at 8.0 rpg.
  • Carter is No. 9 in the NCAA in total blocks (54) and No. 21 in field goal percentage (58.1).
  • MSU is ranked No. 7 nationally in field goal percentage defense at 34.5 pct., No. 14 in three-point percentage defense (25.9), No. 16 in blocks per game (5.1 spg.), No. 19 in scoring margin (+16.0) and No. 22 in scoring defense (allowing 55.4 ppg).
  • The Bulldogs are forcing 18.6 turnovers per contest.
  • Mississippi State fell to 15-7 overall and 4-5 in the conference after a 62-34 loss at Georgia on Jan. 29.
  • The Bulldogs struggled on offense in Athens, scoring 34 points, their fewest of the season, while shooting 27 percent from the field and 13 percent from the three-point line.
  • Turnovers plagued Mississippi State, as the Bulldogs committed 15 in the first half and 27 total for the game, the most turnovers State has committed this season. UGA capitalized with 24 points off those miscues.
  • Ahlana Smith led the offensive side of the ball for the Bulldogs, scoring nine points on the day.
  • JerKaila Jordan continued to crash the boards, grabbing eight rebounds and dishing out four assists.

It will be interesting to see what kind of reception RJ gets from the Mississippi State fanatics tomorrow night.

We have been very consistent and getting a little bit better. MSST on the other hand seems to have been erratic but not really that good IMO.

UT-80
MSSt-66

Reactions: Lucy and chuckiepoo
Oops did Geno just have a Bobby Knight moment? Threw a water bottle out on the floor, got a T! Announcers blame his hard experience w refs at Tennessee!

Also noteworthy that Geno got held back by someone other than Chris D! (Elliott?) Chris must have ceded her long time main duty

As I said earlier, that team always seems about to implode to me.

Yup. And that makes this game a little hard to predict. It could be the kind of game that comes down to the last few possessions, like at Mizzou, or could be a 20+ point blowout.

Oops did Geno just have a Bobby Knight moment? Threw a water bottle out on the floor, got a T! Announcers blame his hard experience w refs at Tennessee!

Also noteworthy that Geno got held back by someone other than Chris D! (Elliott?) Chris must have ceded her long time main duty

Poor baby...
husky-growl.gif

Coach put down the date .
And I'm predicting a fight will break out .

Last edited:
Reactions: Jax_Vol

VN Store

Back