How do you explain that final no-call? Asking seriously.

BruisedOrange

Well... known member
I just saw video of the Auburn game, and I cannot logically explain how that referee could not call Nkamhoua for a foul on Auburn's final shot!

Sure, we can take solace in the idea that the bad calls even out over the course of a season, but HOW--in that instance--does a ref swallow his whistle? Is human judgement that fallible? Are games rigged? How do you explain that call?

To my knowledge of the game, despite Olivier's raised hands and stable upper body, jump-stopping into his final position he was obviously late. He moved his body into the shooter's landing space( who did not elevate for his shot in an exaggeratedly forward disposition). Textbook call--right?

And even when refs choose to "let 'em play" in the final seconds, no matter how much extra contact they allow, they always reward basketball IQ and punish a stupid or clumsy move.

I come to VolNation to learn as much as to vent, so please enlighten me: was it me, or the referee, that missed something on that final play?

*note: I later saw Bruce Pearl's postgame interview, and he said he received "no explanation" about that final call.

Last edited:
I think the refs would have called that a foul on the last shot had the AU shooter not kicked both legs out. Saw a replay this morning from behind the shooter and looked like he had both legs wrapped around Oliver. Had it not been the last play of the game, there would have been another T for Auburn.

I think the refs would have called that a foul on the last shot had the AU shooter not kicked both legs out. Saw a replay this morning from behind the shooter and looked like he had both legs wrapped around Oliver. Had it not been the last play of the game, there would have been another T for Auburn.

This is the correct answer to your question. Had the Auburn player not wrapped his legs around Oliver in an attempt to exaggerate the contact I think he would have gotten the call. And oh yeah Auburn flopped the WHOLE game. Still think it was a foul tho.

Because it was his 3rd flop of the game. If he hadn’t flopped they probably would’ve called it. Can you call a flop and a foul? Because in that case he would shot his FTs to tie it then Zeigler would’ve nailed the game winning free throw. Result is a no call.

I think this is actually a plausible explanation. You could see right from the beginning that it was part of their gameplan to flop, beg and hope the refs would give them some free throw point opportunities. I started calling them Slip-and-fall-burn before halftime.

There were no calls from the very start of the game. It isn’t logical to ignore a dozen or more obvious fouls (and walks) and then suddenly start enforcing those rules as the clock is about to expire
Exactly. The refs consistently let them play all night. They easily could’ve called tons more fouls both ways. The refs didn’t want to decide the game on a call unless it was egregious. I agree it was a foul and we would be screaming to high Heaven if the shoe were in the other foot.

Heck to be fair Broome took two hands and shoved Santi out of bounds to force a turnover, then clearly set an illegal screen on that final shot anyway. It was an obvious foul, but it is what it is. They missed several all game, or just let the game be very physical.

And they were hanging on Santi the entire game. No calls.

I just saw video of the Auburn game, and I cannot logically explain how that referee could not call Nkamhoua for a foul on Auburn's final shot!

Sure, we can take solace in the idea that the bad calls even out over the course of a season, but HOW--in that instance--does a ref swallow his whistle? Is human judgement that fallible? Are games rigged? How do you explain that call?

To my knowledge of the game, despite Olivier's raised hands and stable upper body, jump-stopping into his final position he was obviously late. He moved his body into the shooter's landing space( who did not elevate for his shot in an exaggeratedly forward disposition). Textbook call--right?

And even when refs choose to "let 'em play" in the final seconds, no matter how much extra contact they allow, they always reward basketball IQ and punish a stupid or clumsy move.

I come to VolNation to learn as much as to vent, so please enlighten me: was it me, or the referee, that missed something on that final play?

*note: I later saw Bruce Pearl's postgame interview, and he said he received "no explanation" about that final call.
I think his over dramatic fall and kick caused it to be no call.

I think if it was at any other point in the game they call a foul. Refs never call fouls or penalties on the final plays in football or basketball unless its extremely egregious. They let it play out. You RARELY see fouls on final shots or pass interference on hail mary's in football even though it happens all the time. It's just one of those unwritten rules. Unless he straight up tackled the guy they weren't going to call anything.

Reactions: Smokey19rt

I agree that it could have been called. I surmise that the ref's feet hurt, therefor there was no chance it was going into overtime. We win!

Thank y'all for those helpful insights.

I only saw a highlights video (which was very short, given the score!) and so I was oblivious to what had been occurring (flop warnings, fouls not being called) over the course of the game. Guess Auburn cried wolf so long, the wolf got ignored when/if he finally showed up.

Like I posted, I come here to learn. Much appreciated.

Didn’t the Vols have a call like that in the tournament a few years ago? Where an opposing player was shooting a 3 and kicked his leg out some way and the UT player was called for a foul, and it ended up being the difference in the game?

Purdue game I believe. Carsen Edwards played out of his mind and that white kid couldn't miss.

The shooter 100% elevated in an exaggeratedly forward disposition. This is not a normal shooting motion. He kicks both his arms and his legs forward in an effort to draw a foul.

1675616365261.png

Attachments

• 1675616294777.png
    1675616294777.png
    53.8 KB · Views: 68

VN Store

Back