Investing in Backup QBs

volmandu

With transfer portal robbing depth at QB position for most programs, will we soon see schools use NIL money to invest in backup QBs ? Decent QBs with 1-2 years of college experience who can use some NIL money before they graduate and move on. For example, look at TN: We have a 5th year senior and a 5* freshman. Tennessee desperately needs a decent and experienced QB as depth this year. Further next year we will be again with Sophomore Nico and a freshman guy.

Could a QB from mid-tier school with starting experience, who could use some NIL money, decide to be back up from 2 years ? Will colleges start looking into this ?

( I realize many good QBs will enter portal post spring but those will end of transferring anyways if they don't get the starting nod. Teams need legit designated back ups).

Thoughts ??

Honestly, there's no "QB shortage." There's just an increase in turmoil / churn among those who don't win a starting job.

In 2023 and beyond, there will be just as many high school QBs trying to make it at some university as there were before NIL. And so each Power 5 university can expect to have three or four "Power 5 caliber" QBs on roster. It just won't be the same three or four as last year, because the fella who was hoping to win the starting job finds out he's second (or third) string, and so he jumps into the portal.

Meanwhile, a bunch of other fellas who got sorted lower than they expected/hoped at other programs, they're jumping into the portal as well. And one way or another, one or two of them will end up replacing the one or two we lost.

It's just increased churn from the new(ish) portal. Not "robbed depth," just churn. And I don't think a lot of NIL money needs to go to churn.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
Honestly, there's no "QB shortage." There's just an increase in turmoil / churn among those who don't win a starting job.

In 2023 and beyond, there will be just as many high school QBs trying to make it at some university as there were before NIL. And so each Power 5 university can expect to have three or four "Power 5 caliber" QBs on roster. It just won't be the same three or four as last year, because the fella who was hoping to win the starting job finds out he's second (or third) string, and so he jumps into the portal.

Meanwhile, a bunch of other fellas who got sorted lower than they expected/hoped at other programs, they're jumping into the portal as well. And one way or another, one or two of them will end up replacing the one or two we lost.

It's just increased churn from NIL. Not "robbed depth," just churn. And I don't think a lot of NIL money needs to go to churn.

Go Vols!

This is an unusually wise insight on Volnation. And “churn” is the perfect word. We may be short one QB for a while but I’m confident there will be a handful of QBs available when the time comes.

With transfer portal robbing depth at QB position for most programs, will we soon see schools use NIL money to invest in backup QBs ? Decent QBs with 1-2 years of college experience who can use some NIL money before they graduate and move on. For example, look at TN: We have a 5th year senior and a 5* freshman. Tennessee desperately needs a decent and experienced QB as depth this year. Further next year we will be again with Sophomore Nico and a freshman guy.

Could a QB from mid-tier school with starting experience, who could use some NIL money, decide to be back up from 2 years ? Will colleges start looking into this ?

( I realize many good QBs will enter portal post spring but those will end of transferring anyways if they don't get the starting nod. Teams need legit designated back ups).

Thoughts ??
We got spoiled with Hooker and Milton that don't happen these days that much. Going to have to just develop a QB.

Reactions: Toucan Sam
Well, way I see it, CJH's system will keep producing StatBacks. So good QBs will keep coming to Tennessee to enhance their chances for the post college level. Ole Josh will pretty much be able to pick and choose among some really good ones.

It's just increased churn from the new(ish) portal. Not "robbed depth," just churn. And I don't think a lot of NIL money needs to go to churn.

Go Vols!

There is value in retaining someone who knows your system, culture, and has a rapport with the players. There is value in preventing #5 in the country from being poached, even if #25 is available to be picked up as a replacement. There is a cost to bringing the replacement in. Not saying you need to break the bank on a second stringer, but the right depth guys needs some level of protection.

Reactions: -GiveHim6-
There is value in retaining someone who knows your system, culture, and has a rapport with the players. There is value in preventing #5 in the country from being poached, even if #25 is available to be picked up as a replacement. There is a cost to bringing the replacement in. Not saying you need to break the bank on a second stringer, but the right depth guys needs some level of protection.
I do agree.

Every player has value. Some more than others, when you boil it down to cold monetary worth, but yes, they all have value. Not opposed to NIL $$ being shared around the roster. Just don't see big sums being spent on the churn among what are most likely to be the 3rd and 4th string QBs.

VFL82 is right. There is no shortage. Just a shortage of QBs staying where they started.

Second, schools do NOT pay NIL money to players. Now, maybe you were just summarizing the process. But NIL $$$ is "by rule" independent of the program. Although recruiting(School) and payments(independent advertisers) do find a natural equilibrium somehow ... wink wink.

But, here is what I'm wondering. We do seem to be 1 solid backup from where we should be. But, this makes me wonder if our staff is higher on our best 3rd choice than we are assuming? It is certainly not due to a shortage of xfer option or plenty of QBs that would die to have a shot at playing for CJH and this system.

The only thing I can see as a hangup would be any player thinking that he has no chance to see the field with the #1 player in the nation coming in. So, they know they'll be the odd man out and be sitting because the staff and fan base are going to give the golden boy the 1st legit shot at the job.

Last edited:
Reactions: VFL-82-JP
As long as our NIL isn't by Toyota and the name prius with it we are good, the youngsters probably don't know the prius incident.
:blue font:
For the youngsters in 09 kiffins year, highly touted and good dB Jackson, wr nu'keese richardson, and two others attempted robbery with a pellet gun, got into a damn prius.
Jackson I believe was convicted of manslaughter yrs later.

Last edited:
VFL82 is right. There is no shortage. Just a shortage of QBs staying where they started.

Second, schools do NOT pay NIL money to players. Now, maybe you were just summarizing the process. But NIL $$$ is "by rule" independent of the program. Although recruiting(School) and payments(independent advertisers) do find a natural equilibrium somehow ... wink wink.

But, here is what I'm wondering. We do seem to be 1 solid backup from where we should be. But, this makes me wonder if our staff is higher on our best 3rd choice than we are assuming? It is certainly not due to a shortage of xfer option or plenty of QBs that would die to have a shot at playing for CJH and this system.

The only thing I can see as a hangup would be any player thinking that he has no chance to see the field with the #1 player in the nation coming in. So, they know they'll be the odd man out and be sitting because the staff and fan base are going to give the golden boy the 1st legit shot at the job.
I think we’re in it heavily for Merkinger because (like this season with Nico) redshirting is an unlikely option. The top QB signee will be the top backup and being one play from the starter a realistic possibility, the beneficiary of many game time reps as preparation for that contingency. The keys to this machine being so tantalizingly close is more attractive to competitors than we’re acknowledging.

If you were in the portal because it didn’t work out the way you wanted at your first school, would you really look at Tennessee as a good landing spot as a Soph or redshirt Soph, considering that Joe and Nico are clearly 1 and 2 barring some unforseeable injury? I just don’t think this would be a top choice.

Thoughts ??

This guy says Hello! and we arent even using a scholarship
20230108225457_thumbnail-db93ae0d-9221-4b21-853c-8c6b29118325.jpg

3* and went to App State 2 years behind Chase Brice - 4 years of eligibility

He has a quite decent arm from the video throws I saw - and of course he has the pedigree.

Preferred walkon this January. Could become a very serviceable backup with a coach like JH.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
The hard part is convincing a kid to stick around when he’s not good enough to start. At this level, every QB at a school like UT was the best player on the field since he was 10 years old. Some kids understand the process and are willing to be patient. Some don’t and just want the job handed to them. It’s just the reality of things now.

I’ll give Milton credit for staying and waiting for his opportunity. He probably could have left and started somewhere last year. Hope he has a great season and shows that patience and persistence can pay off.

This guy says Hello! and we arent even using a scholarship
20230108225457_thumbnail-db93ae0d-9221-4b21-853c-8c6b29118325.jpg

3* and went to App State 2 years behind Chase Brice - 4 years of eligibility

He has a quite decent arm from the video throws I saw - and of course he has the pedigree.

Preferred walkon this January. Could become a very serviceable backup with a coach like JH.
I think the other walk on from UCF is in front of him he is 3rd string or 2nd for now.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

VN Store

Back