Great video On Pat vs Nvm

Pat was relentless in her coaching style. My impression is that you either took her instruction and did it her way, or you didn't see the court much. Not sure how that would work today.

There was a comment on the YT video that suggested that Pat may already have been experiencing some early symptoms of dementia when she decided to end the UConn relationship. That's possible. But she wasn't without her reasons. Pat was hardnosed but proper. Geno was a loudmouth who liked to push the boundaries of decorum. They were never going to be buddies.

Great video, but the trip back to yester-year sent my blood pressure through the stratosphere. I might be wrong, but there are still things that I haven't gotten over, like leaving Candace off the Olympic team. But if Pat can forgive, I guess I can. I don't think we'll ever see a rivalry that intense again until both program is on equal footing and playing for championships.

Reactions: xtpsrh08123
I honestly doubt the girls these days, can take the type of coaching Pat handed out. She was a different animal, and expected excellence, and when you didn’t give it, it was on.
It would be hard for Pat to sustain super hard coaching now with the Portal and the transfer rules. Also then, there were no parity in WBB no where to go really. It's not as far along as the Men have advanced from the Wooden UCLA dominance of the early 60s but its getting there. There will be no more Wooden's and Pat's or Geno;s. The game has changed and advanced the play and rules have adapted, no more 3 seconds (very rare), no more walking (Euro 3 & 4 steps) if you are a star or fluid. Non athletics will still get traveling calls. It's made for TV they have adapted a lot of street ball NYC rules, it's more entertaining. The 3 was added in 1985 the clock shot added in 1986 the charge has went back & forth with the arc rule and the game has grown money wise which is the bottom line from the King makers, the rest is up to interpretation IMO.

It would be hard for Pat to sustain super hard coaching now with the Portal and the transfer rules. Also then, there were no parity in WBB no where to go really. It's not as far along as the Men have advanced from the Wooden UCLA dominance of the early 60s but its getting there. There will be no more Wooden's and Pat's or Geno;s. The game has changed and advanced the play and rules have adapted, no more 3 seconds (very rare), no more walking (Euro 3 & 4 steps) if you are a star or fluid. Non athletics will still get traveling calls. It's made for TV they have adapted a lot of street ball NYC rules, it's more entertaining. The 3 was added in 1985 the clock shot added in 1986 the charge has went back & forth with the arc rule and the game has grown money wise which is the bottom line from the King makers, the rest is up to interpretation IMO.
I believe with success comes success
with an improved product each year by now we would be playing E8 or better
NIL ain't gonna jump out and scream "Let me back a "good" program"

Reactions: Smokey19rt
That rivalry was something else. I think it may have always been destined to die, though. As Geno got more sure of himself, or full of himself if you will, he got nastier - his tactics got dirtier. He was only interested in being civil until he no longer had to be, and once he had that threepeat in his pocket, the civility was over and done with. He was out for blood after that. Hard to keep playing a series when you know what the other side will do to win -- which is how we arrived at the Maya Moore situation.

Moore was going to bring either Tennessee or Connecticut multiple championships. Whoever got her would be in the driver's seat. And everyone around here knows how the Maya Moore story went. Everyone knows Maya Moore's mother had an asking price. We all know the story of Pat coming out onto the court after meeting with Moore's mother, and saying "you will not believe what she just asked for" to her staff. We even know, more or less, what was asked for. And everyone remembers her mother's online shop with expensive handbags, sold with a blue and red C on them, a C that looked exactly like UConn's C, the year after Moore went to Connecticut. Connect enough dots and the story becomes clear.

I always look back and think - if only Moore had stayed the course. Tennessee would have likely notched two more titles, and we could have spent the last fifteen years not having to hear about how Geno is the bestest of all time. Tennessee might even have come away with four in a row. Four! Can you imagine? The statue would have been twice as big. Sigh.

That rivalry was something else. I think it may have always been destined to die, though. As Geno got more sure of himself, or full of himself if you will, he got nastier - his tactics got dirtier. He was only interested in being civil until he no longer had to be, and once he had that threepeat in his pocket, the civility was over and done with. He was out for blood after that. Hard to keep playing a series when you know what the other side will do to win -- which is how we arrived at the Maya Moore situation.

Moore was going to bring either Tennessee or Connecticut multiple championships. Whoever got her would be in the driver's seat. And everyone around here knows how the Maya Moore story went. Everyone knows Maya Moore's mother had an asking price. We all know the story of Pat coming out onto the court after meeting with Moore's mother, and saying "you will not believe what she just asked for" to her staff. We even know, more or less, what was asked for. And everyone remembers her mother's online shop with expensive handbags, sold with a blue and red C on them, a C that looked exactly like UConn's C, the year after Moore went to Connecticut. Connect enough dots and the story becomes clear.

I always look back and think - if only Moore had stayed the course. Tennessee would have likely notched two more titles, and we could have spent the last fifteen years not having to hear about how Geno is the bestest of all time. Tennessee might even have come away with four in a row. Four! Can you imagine? The statue would have been twice as big. Sigh.
Give it a rest. You sound like a long term whiner.

I'm as big a Vol homer as anyone here but all the "We all know the story" "his tactics got dirtier" "And everyone remembers" "Connect enough dots"
diminishes Pat's accomplishments and reflects poorly on you.

I have no love for Geno but unproven allegations and rumors mean squat. I'm happy to lived through the glorious times we had with Pat and all she accomplished. I don't dwell on his success.

Reactions: meekfan
Give it a rest. You sound like a long term whiner.

I'm as big a Vol homer as anyone here but all the "We all know the story" "his tactics got dirtier" "And everyone remembers" "Connect enough dots"
diminishes Pat's accomplishments and reflects poorly on you.

I have no love for Geno but unproven allegations and rumors mean squat. I'm happy to lived through the glorious times we had with Pat and all she accomplished. I don't dwell on his success.

Oh okay, so when Pat told Geno "Geno, you and I both know we aren't playing by the same rules," she was just whining too? Just invented it all in her head? Yeah, that must be it. She was probably just imagining it all.

That story is 15 years gone now, and it is what it is - or was, at this point - but I think I'll choose to believe ours over theirs, thanks.

I honestly doubt the girls these days, can take the type of coaching Pat handed out. She was a different animal, and expected excellence, and when you didn’t give it, it was on.
I’ve told this story before on here, but I had a chance meeting with her several years ago. I scrounged up something for her to sign, and while I was standing there waiting for an autograph, she started asking questions about my personal life. She held on to my item while we exchanged conversation, and she seemed unimpressed by my answers. So I stood there, as a grown man who was doing relatively well in life, getting some suggestions on how I could be doing better. I took every bit of it without saying a word, thanked her for her time, and then walked to my car reevaluating a lot of my life’s choices. I got the opportunity to meet her again at a formal signing, where I got a nice picture, kept my mouth shut, and left. She was truly one of a kind. You couldn’t help but to fear her and love her at the same time.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

VN Store

Back