Coaches and NIL

Starchief13VFL

I know schools technically “have nothing to do” with NIL. That said, does anyone know how much and what kind of dialogue do coaches have with the collectives?

I say zero direct contact, at least with head coaches. they have a guy for that. somehow a list where a coach ranks his players and future prospects makes its way to a "random guy" who deals with the collective

I say zero direct contact, at least with head coaches. they have a guy for that. somehow a list where a coach ranks his players and future prospects makes its way to a "random guy" who deals with the collective

There is obviously communications between the coaching staff and the bankers: how it exactly works is not clear. It's the hidden
side of the sport now that won't get talked about much publicly as it's a rather seedy way to conduct college sports. If it wasn't seedy,
it would be publicly discussed. It isn't.

There is obviously communications between the coaching staff and the bankers: how it exactly works is not clear. It's the hidden
side of the sport now that won't get talked about much publicly as it's a rather seedy way to conduct college sports. If it wasn't seedy,
it would be publicly discussed. It isn't.

I think it has to stay this way for now as the NCAA is looking. The charges against TN got everyone's attention. Hopefully TN's lawsuit will succeed and some of this contact stuff can get cleared up and not have to be so secret.

I know schools technically “have nothing to do” with NIL. That said, does anyone know how much and what kind of dialogue do coaches have with the collectives?
CJH has lunch every Tuesday at Calhouns with the OCs. They talk about how much they want recruits and what they think their worth is.

The Hostess at Calhouns is a big Vol Football fan so every Tuesday when the Sprye team comes in for lunch she sits them at the booth beside the coaches so they can record the conversation.

FYI…sometimes they move the lunch to Wednesday.

Did you see Virginia just past a law to allow direct payment for NIL to the athlete? Article online and someone beat me to the post in the NCAA forum. Go check the thread. Next legal battle brewing.

It is more open than you think. I know one P4 school that has an office in their athletic department for school employee who is NIL liaison. I know some of the coaches.

On a related note

If I were a stock holder in FedEx, I’d be petitioning the board to replace the CEO for this. No way there’s a return on that investment and FedEx isn’t a privately owned local business. If some rich Memphis fanboy dudes who work at FedEx want to throw $25 million of their personal wealth at the Memphis NIL then that’s fine, but you can’t throw a public corporation’s money around like that.

If I were a stock holder in FedEx, I’d be petitioning the board to replace the CEO for this. No way there’s a return on that investment and FedEx isn’t a privately owned local business. If some rich Memphis fanboy dudes who work at FedEx want to throw $25 million of their personal wealth at the Memphis NIL then that’s fine, but you can’t throw a public corporation’s money around like that.
How do you figure, calculator?

I’m wondering how happy their stockholders are with that news. Doesn’t seem like a great investment to me. Personally I’ll think twice about going to a FEDEX store if I have another choice.

I agree that it seems sketchy for a public corporation to put money into a college NIL--but the company can probably justify it as a "community relations" or "community enhancement" or somesuch expense. $25 million is nothing to a corporation of FedEx's size. Yale University spent has spent tens of millions of dollars to improve the West Hartford area where it is located, to name one example.

As for whether it's a wise investment or not, the same could be asked of every NIL donation. Much money will be spent on players who do not pan out or meet expectations. What we have now is totally stupid because the players just all leave after a season or two--or at least half do. That kind of nonsense is not even seen in the pros, where contracts are signed. Colleges all scrambling to outbid one another for players is pretty embarrassing, IMO.

I agree that it seems sketchy for a public corporation to put money into a college NIL--but the company can probably justify it as a "community relations" or "community enhancement" or somesuch expense. $25 million is nothing to a corporation of FedEx's size. Yale University spent has spent tens of millions of dollars to improve the West Hartford area where it is located, to name one example.

As for whether it's a wise investment or not, the same could be asked of every NIL donation. Much money will be spent on players who do not pan out or meet expectations. What we have now is totally stupid because the players just all leave after a season or two--or at least half do. That kind of nonsense is not even seen in the pros, where contracts are signed. Colleges all scrambling to outbid one another for players is pretty embarrassing, IMO.
Yale isn’t a public corporation so their spending isn’t subject to the same scrutiny and accountability.

I agree that on face value no large NIL donation will be a wise investment for a business. I assume most large business donations are private companies owned by alumni / fans of the school. Just like the many folks giving $20 a month to help their favorite sports teams, wealthier folks do similar just on a much larger scale.

I know some public corporations contribute to help education in the areas where they have offices / factories. Have also seen donations to public parks, etc. Donating $25 million to an athletic booster program is beyond sketchy IMO and will likely cause FedEx trouble.

VN Store

Back